PDA

View Full Version : Newport Sports Museum Collection-NBA Game Used Jerseys

CPuente57
04-18-2014, 08:17 PM
There are quite of few NBA Gamers up for auction, I was wondering what opinions were of some.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1994-95-SCOTTIE-PIPPEN-AUTOGRAPHED-CHICAGO-BULLS-G-LOT27997.aspx

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1994-95-REGGIE-MILLER-INDIANA-PACERS-GAME-WORN-ROA-lot27995.aspx

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1991-92-DAVID-ROBINSON-SAN-ANTONIO-SPURS-GAME-WORN-LOT28008.aspx

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1988-89-ISIAH-THOMAS-DETROIT-PISTONS-%28CHAMPIONSHIP-LOT27994.aspx

and also this Larry Bird was a Celtics Charity Letter

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/LARRY-BIRD-1989-90-AUTOGRAPHED-GAME-WORN-BOSTON-CE-LOT28153.aspx

nickacs
04-18-2014, 09:45 PM
I'd be very interested to know as well. Never heard of this museum, let alone housing all these All-Star caliber player jerseys.
On another note, I've NEVER seen a Chicago Bulls "team letter" look like the one for the Pippen jersey offered.

dougiedshow
04-18-2014, 10:33 PM
It sure doesn't look like the Pacer's wanted this jersey sold for profit. If Mr. Hamilton is the consignor, it seems to be questionable at best. Or maybe morals don't matter after 9 years? If I was Vonda Brooks or the Pacers, I'd ask for my jersey back, out of principle. But, I guess the pacers have bigger fish to fry, like not losing to Atlanta.

CPuente57
04-19-2014, 01:00 AM
The LOA's from the teams don't really specify game use either. The Miller just states they sent a Miller jersey as per requested, couldn't that just be a team issued jersey?

ironmanfan
04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
I'd be very interested to know as well. Never heard of this museum

I know this publication has somewhat lost it's luster over the years, however the closing of this museum (and the selling of it's memorabilia) is the cover story of the most recent SCD (dated 05/02/14).

xsentrixsupra
04-19-2014, 11:08 AM
It sure doesn't look like the Pacer's wanted this jersey sold for profit. If Mr. Hamilton is the consignor, it seems to be questionable at best. Or maybe morals don't matter after 9 years? If I was Vonda Brooks or the Pacers, I'd ask for my jersey back, out of principle. But, I guess the pacers have bigger fish to fry, like not losing to Atlanta.

I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know, but I don't think the owner of the museum ever really intended to shut its doors. I think its pretty common if exhibits of art are closing they are sold off to either settle debts or just to clear out the space in general.

genius
04-19-2014, 01:53 PM
I don't think strings on a transfer of possession are enforceable. Once ownership changes they can do whatever they want with it no matter how much the previous owner objects.

xsentrixsupra
04-19-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't think strings on a transfer of possession are enforceable. Once ownership changes they can do whatever they want with it no matter how much the previous owner objects.

Its not a high value enough item for the Pacers to care and it seems this is a sale of necessity rather than got it with the intent to profit from, but you can have stipulations in contracts about what can happen to something after the fact.

nickacs
04-19-2014, 08:13 PM
I know this publication has somewhat lost it's luster over the years, however the closing of this museum (and the selling of it's memorabilia) is the cover story of the most recent SCD (dated 05/02/14).

Great, thanks for letting us know!

ivo610
04-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Has anyone here ever been?

esquiresports
04-20-2014, 01:15 AM
I had the opportunity to visit the museum when Goldin and Chris Cavalier displayed some of the Kobe Bryant items they had for auction there. It was great meeting Chris and it turned out we have a mutual friend. I can't speak to the authenticity of any of the auction items, but it was pretty amazing to walk around the museum, which happens to be on the same street as my office. Almost countless jerseys on display and tons of interesting artifacts. I would definitely spend time researching any item you might be interested in, as I would suggest in any auction.

ChrisCavalier
04-20-2014, 03:24 AM
I had the opportunity to visit the museum when Goldin and Chris Cavalier displayed some of the Kobe Bryant items they had for auction there. It was great meeting Chris and it turned out we have a mutual friend. I can't speak to the authenticity of any of the auction items, but it was pretty amazing to walk around the museum, which happens to be on the same street as my office. Almost countless jerseys on display and tons of interesting artifacts. I would definitely spend time researching any item you might be interested in, as I would suggest in any auction.
Yes indeed Scott, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you there and learning how much of a seasoned collector you are. Also, it was very ironic that you used to work with one of my best friends from college. Very small world!!

-Chris

ivo610
04-20-2014, 08:18 AM

1. Was the collection equal in terms of # of items? Or was it heavy in some areas and lift in others?

2. Any items stand out?

esquiresports
04-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Seasoned only in the sense of falling hard for memorabilia. I still have much to learn.

As for the museum, it was a pretty solid cross-section of sports. By quantity it was probably baseball, football, basketball, hockey. There was also golf, etc. There is a skew toward Southern California teams. HOFers in all sports. I recall basketball being particularly impressive, and there is even an indoor court there.

CPuente57
04-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah they have some jerseys I'd really be interested in, but I don't know enough about 90's NBA Gamers so I'd be worried I'd be buying a team issued non game used one.