PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr. and Eddie Murray Bats

vonbrandingo
04-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Hello, I've been searching for a Ken Griffey Jr. rookie game used bat and hope someone here will contact me if he or she has one. I know some are out there and I won't waste your time with a lowball offer for it.

I am also looking for a great Eddie Murray Orioles gamer with heavy use and tape rings and am as motivated to pick one up as I am the Griffey.

Please reach out if you own either one or have any leads.

rodhall@hotmail.com

Many thanks,
Rod

vonbrandingo
04-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Bump

sportsnbikes
05-07-2014, 03:47 AM
Not Orioles but I saw an Indians Murray gamer on eBay today.

vonbrandingo
08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Will someone please sell me their authentic Orioles Eddie Murray game used bat with tape rings and heavy use?

I did see the one that just ended in Goldin Auctions. I am looking for one with more even use consistent of a gamer.

Thank you!

Chess2899
08-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Rod,
It is such a bad time to get a Griffey rookie. I think most are holding on to them because they expect a surge of value when he goes into the HOF in 2 years.
I am sure they will come out as the HOF date gets close.

I have at least one, but I am a true Griffey fan who hates to part with his stuff. I am a hoarder according to my wife and the police. I might have 10 rookie Griffey bats but haven't found the energy to search for one in 4000 square feet of bats. I can promise you this. If I ever find them, and that should be relatively easy because of Griffey's tape job, I will offer you one.

I can take or leave Eddie Murray, so if I find a Baltimore Murray, I will let you know. I really don't know what I have from Murray.

Back to the police. I had a break-in last week, but when the intruder walked in the house, he tripped over a dozen bats, the alarm went off and he fled. The police asked me if I was a hoarder since 3 of the officers also fell over the bats. They are in Bat Protectors, so only the cops suffered injuries, thank God!

Joe

vonbrandingo
08-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Heck of an event Joe. Bats as the first line of defense and you didn't even need to pick one up. Very happy to hear it worked out the way it did.

Well, if the right Griffs or Murrays don't come my way anytime soon that's fine, but I'll keep trying.

By the way, I'd love to get lost in the 4k sqf of bats you have. I've dreamt of being in a such a wonderful place but it was smaller.

PwKw13
08-14-2014, 10:10 AM
I did see the one that just ended in Goldin Auctions. I am looking for one with more even use consistent of a gamer.

Did I see the right closing price on that Goldin bat, or is there something wrong with my computer??

vonbrandingo
08-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Did I see the right closing price on that Goldin bat, or is there something wrong with my computer??

Haha, I couldn't believe it either. I am very familiar with that bat and from my pov the closing price made zero sense.

vonbrandingo
08-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Did a ton of research on the Dodgers Murray Celebzdirect just offered on ebay but it looks like I missed out on that one. If the new owner would like to know what I found, just contact me.

I did own a really nice Dodgers '91 Murray but sold that a couple years ago through REA. While I was hoping to get an O's one to replace it, I would be open to a Dodgers LS Murray with great characteristics, including tape rings. Would also be open to buying back the REA one.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,

Rod

rodhall@hotmail.com

Hoosier39
08-22-2014, 04:37 PM
You didn't miss much, didn't look like it had much use.

What info did you find, out of curiosity?

Did a ton of research on the Dodgers Murray Celebzdirect just offered on ebay but it looks like I missed out on that one. If the new owner would like to know what I found, just contact me.

I did own a really nice Dodgers '91 Murray but sold that a couple years ago through REA. While I was hoping to get an O's one to replace it, I would be open to a Dodgers LS Murray with great characteristics, including tape rings. Would also be open to buying back the REA one.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,

Rod

rodhall@hotmail.com

vonbrandingo
08-22-2014, 05:56 PM
You didn't miss much, didn't look like it had much use.

What info did you find, out of curiosity?

The use wasn't heavy but that is consistent with the number of plate appearances Eddie had is 1997, nine. This flame burned bat was ordered on 8/26/97 (thanks to Mike Specht), just in time for Eddie's '97 debut with the Dodgers, on 9/5/97. Ramon Martinez was the starting pitcher that game and Eddie had a 2 RBI pinch hit single, which was his second to last career hit. The next day he got his last career hit in another pinch hit appearance. It is possible that this bat was given to Ramon after the win on 9/5/97, and could have been used for Eddie's career hit 3254. And while I didn't come across any images of his last two hits, I was able to rule out one plate appearance where Eddie used a hickory finished LS. One other pic I saw shows him using a Rawlings, but I do not know which AB that was, although it was in '97 in a Dodger uniform. That brings the number of possible PA that this bat could have been used to 7. Good chance he used a different bat in every PA because he probably wanted to gift them, including this one.

I know the reputation that Celebzdirect has but don't care because this bat spoke for itself. I was going to bid accordingly and with the hope of finding a pic of Murray at the plate on 9/5/97, because I think this is the bat he used. Unhappy to miss out. Should have called with an offer Scot couldn't refuse.

Hoosier39
08-22-2014, 08:42 PM
I hear ya. Sounds like you did your hw.

vonbrandingo
10-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Still looking for a killer Murray LS O's gamer with tape rings. To any of you who has one, I'd like to hear from you.

rodhall@hotmail.com

Rod

vonbrandingo
04-29-2015, 08:44 PM
If you own this bat or one similar in quality, please contact me at rodhall@hotmail.com. I'll pay you more than you paid for it.

vonbrandingo
06-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Bump for Murray

vonbrandingo
07-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Bump

vonbrandingo
08-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Picked up a nice Dodgers Murray with provenance. Many thanks to the owner who let me buy it.

Still looking for great, early O's Murray with rings and early ('89-92) handle-taped Junior gamers.

Rod

vonbrandingo
09-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Still looking for these priority bats. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

vonbrandingo
09-10-2015, 07:55 PM
I realize not every bat collector is a member here or even visits the site. But many members know lots of these folks. With that in mind, I can offer a finder's fee of 10% of the purchase price to anyone with a lead that results in a sale (e.g. $500 on a bat bought for $5k).

Rod
rodhall@hotmail.com

AWA85
01-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Are you still looking for a game used Ken Griffey Jr. bat? Interested in one from his time with the Reds?

AWA85@live.com

vonbrandingo
01-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Thanks, but looking for '89-90 or a blond '93. Thanks again.

AWA85
01-15-2016, 04:09 PM
No problem, good luck!

BernBabyBern
02-04-2016, 05:04 PM
If you or anyone is still looking for one.
John Taube has a killer Seattle Mariners Ken Griffey Jr. game used bat on his site graded a 10.

Pablo

BernBabyBern
02-05-2016, 11:34 AM
That Griffey bat sold already! WOW that was fast.

tmpjets
02-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Anyone have any idea for how ($) much it was going for? Also I didn't get the chance to even see it anyone have pics?

BernBabyBern
02-11-2016, 12:21 PM
He had it listed for $4,999. OUCH.

vonbrandingo
02-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Didn't even see that one either and I check JTs site often. I don't even want to know if it was an early one because that'll sting.

tmpjets
02-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Yeah part of me really doesn't even what to know either, but on the other hand I do. Especially with the HOF vote and myself owning (2) GU JR. bats one autographed and the other not both PSA GU& Cert. Starting to thank myself for picking them up many years ago and for a hell of a lot less then what the early Seattle ones will fetch for today and down the road. Not to mention my 1990 early GU&Auto jersey of his blue and gold days.

vonbrandingo
04-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Bump for both Murray early O's with tape rings and '89-90 Juniors with taped handle.

rodhall@hotmail.com

swainer
04-07-2016, 08:22 AM
https://celebzdirect.hibid.com/lot/24521050/ken-griffey-jr--signed-gu-1990-lvs--the-kid--bat/?q=griffey&sort=2&ref=catalog

Don't know if you saw this one. Obviously you know the previous "issues" with the seller. I could use a finder's fee! :p

Peace!

John

vonbrandingo
04-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Thanks John! I like the higher tape and period signature. I'll let you know if it works out.

Rod

swainer
04-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Did you end up getting that Griffey bat? I was kidding about the finders fee. I'd love to get a legit bat with "The Kid" on it. Hopefully you got it!

Peace,

John

vonbrandingo
04-20-2016, 08:58 PM
No, I didn't end up going for it. A buddy of mine was interested in it too so I didn't make a move. It was a good looking bat but would have liked to see more use on it anyway. Went for a great price but I always have my doubts now about anything coming from that source.

But hey, no kickback this time but a big thanks for the heads up John.

Rod

beni0016
05-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Rod,
Not sure if you're still looking but JT has a nice PSA 9 Griffey Jr bat on his site.

http://gameusedbats.com/selling/?product=ken-griffey-jr-game-used-bat-2

vonbrandingo
06-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Thanks Andy. Good looking but not what I'm after.

With his induction approaching, now is a bad time to buy and great time to sell. I'm perfectly fine with that. So let me know if you have a great, heavily used 89 or 90 uncracked or unrepaired Junior with handle tape.

vonbrandingo
06-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Also looking to add for a well-used and unrepaired pre-80 H&B Dave Winfield gamer. Let me hear from you if you have one.

rodhall@hotmail.com

Thank you,

Rod

vonbrandingo
12-08-2016, 12:56 AM
Dusting this one off... still after an unrepaired '89 or '90 handle-taped Junior and an unrepaired, heavily used O's Murray with tape rings.