PDA

View Full Version : Robin Roberts cleats on eBay - NOT game used

danesei@yahoo.com
04-17-2014, 02:16 AM
There are a pair of used cleats up for sale on eBay from user probstein123.

I've found that many times, he has some decent sportscards deals, but this time, there really isn't a deal.

For starters, only one cleat in the pair is signed. Robin Roberts signature isn't rare, by any means, and can usually be found for $20-$35.

Someone might say "Wait a minute! These are signed game used cleats, not just a signature." While it's true that game used cleats would carry a significant premium over a typical signature, these aren't game used cleats.

Yes, the cleats have "36" written on the tongue, but the design of the cleats is from the 70s/80s. Robin Roberts played his last game in 1966. He couldn't have worn these in a major league game.

I might not Tony Gwynn game used bats or Mike Wieters trophy gloves as well as others, but something I do have a penchant for is AdiDas shoes. :) The three-stripe/three-leaf mark on the tongue of the shoes in the listing weren't introduced until 1971.

If you want an overpriced signed shoe of Robin Roberts, then go right ahead and bid, but if you're expecting to buy a pair of Robin Roberts gamers, please pass on this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380882249819

ironmanfan
04-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Most likely worn by Roberts during Spring Training, etc. during his post career (those style Adidas cleats were popular with the Phillies in the early to mid 1970's).....I agree that Roberts autograph is a fairly common one & I'm not sure why someone would waste their money on a TPA on it...

Auction description could be worded a little better IMO as well

Hoosier39
04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
These will probably sell for a premium anyways. This seller is widely known for shill bidding his own auctions tremendously!