PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Puckett bat

staindsox
12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
I've collected a lot of Puckett stuff and that signature just doesn't look right to me. Any thoughts on this bat? Thanks.

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOGRAPHS-KIRBY-PUCKETT-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BASEBALL-BAT_W0QQitemZ120064501173QQihZ002QQcategoryZ27261Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1200 64501173

dave8270
12-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I agree with you. I have about a 1/2 a dozen autographs of Kirby. Some are from in person signings and some quickie sigs from the park. None of them resemble this autograph at all. Kirby must have been totally wasted when he signed it, or it's a forged auto in my opinion.

bradleysupplies
12-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Like the previous posters, I have numerour Puckett autographs dating back to 1995. I know Kirby had at least 5-7 distinct signatures from 1995 until his passing.

However, if this bat is from his rookie year, I do not think that you can judge the autograph on that bat based upon the sample set in your collection from the latter years of his career and beyond.

I would agree that it looks somewhat like a lame attempt at copying the 'LVS contract' signature burned into the bat, but perhaps it is legitimate and looks close to that contract signature because it was from the contract in his rookie season.

I have a dealer/collector friend I was just discussing this fact with, in that he has 2 3x5 cards signed by Kirby from June of his rookie season before photos were even available that he obtained himself. GAI did not pass them and he did state that they look nothing like the signatures from later in his career.

Just food for thought.

Joel