PDA

View Full Version : How Many Set 1 Jerseys Do Teams Make? 3 2006 Set 1 Pedro Martinez Jerseys Up Right Now.

bgold
04-14-2014, 01:42 PM
I saw this and am curious what you guys think, especially ardent collectors.

There are three, count em three, 2006 Pedro Martinez game used/issued Set 1 black Mets jerseys (Mets on the front) currently online; two on ebay and one at the Goldin Opening Day auction. All look authentic with correct tagging.

How many set 1, or any set # jerseys do teams make already and how many were actually used? Also, Pedro pitched in 23 games in 06.

I at one point owned a 2006 PM set one black Mets jersey and sold it online, I think it's the one currently at auction via Goldin but it's not an exact match according to my photos, I'm 50-50 on it. so there are potentially four set 1 2006 PM jerseys, and that's just what I've seen in the last 12 months.

So, how many sets of jerseys do teams make and issue? 5, 8, 12, 20?

I shudder thinking about this as a collector, am I alone on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAME-USED-Authentic-PEDRO-MARTINEZ-NEW-YORK-METS-2006-Alt-Black-Jersey-Red-Sox-/321376832787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad38d4d13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-New-York-Mets-Pedro-Martinez-Game-Issued-Possibly-Game-Used-Jersey-METS4072-/131163942873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e89faefd9

http://goldinauctions.com/2006-Pedro-Martinez-Game-Worn-New-York-Mets-Home-B-LOT9767.aspx

Mattapan03
04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Mets jersey's are the worst when it comes to stuff like this. In my humble opinion I dont think any of these were used by Pedro in '06. Didnt he have a mesh insert under the sleeves to allow for greater range of motion?

See below

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/pitcher-pedro-martinez-of-the-new-york-mets-points-to-the-news-photo/57585515

Mattapan03
04-14-2014, 03:21 PM
To answer your question, I really dont know.

Ive seen guys liek Reyes, Wright, Glavine, and Beltran get up to 10 sets, but never "multiples" of the same set.

Phil316
04-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Mets jersey's are the worst when it comes to stuff like this. In my humble opinion I dont think any of these were used by Pedro in '06. Didnt he have a mesh insert under the sleeves to allow for greater range of motion?

See below

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/pitcher-pedro-martinez-of-the-new-york-mets-points-to-the-news-photo/57585515

I heard of that mesh insert as well. Although I am sure there are gamers without that insert gloating around.

Phil316
04-14-2014, 04:08 PM
If you look close on Getty image 57526285 you can see what matts pan is saying.

emann
04-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Mets jersey's are the worst when it comes to stuff like this.

Also, of course, some shenanigans were going on with the Mets during this time period:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ex-mets-clubhouse-manager-charlie-samuels-pleads-guilty-stealing-2-3m-memorabilia-article-1.1026265

TNTtoys
04-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Ben,

A LOT of Pedro jerseys were made this year, and of course not all of them could have been worn on the field (I can take this one step further and say that many of the extras wouldn't have Pedro's special customizations either -- and can't even be labeled "game ready").

In 2006, Steiner Sports had the game used partnership with the Mets. When game used jerseys were collected and resold, they were done through Steiner. No doubt that the team had many extras made up that never saw the playing field.

For a 2006 game used Pedro jersey, I would look for the following:

1. Steiner Letter with matching hologram sticker on the jersey.
2. Mesh inserts under the arms (Game ready Pedro jerseys had this feature, as 2 forum members already mentioned).

Without these features, I would stay away.

metsbats
04-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Here's a close up of the custom sleeve verses non-custom sleeves.

teddy406
04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Players get a lot of jerseys these days for each season. Out of the 3 you listed I'd go after the one on Goldin if I wanted a Pedro gamer. It comes from the Mets-with their paperwork and looks like it has some use. The others have no authentication and look issued. Just my 2 cents.

Phil316
04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Players get a lot of jerseys these days for each season. Out of the 3 you listed I'd go after the one on Goldin if I wanted a Pedro gamer. It comes from the Mets-with their paperwork and looks like it has some use. The others have no authentication and look issued. Just my 2 cents.

2 quick comments.

1. One of the Mets jerseys on eBay comes with a Mets LOA.

2. It has been determined by a huge Mets collector that Pedro's gamers have the mesh insert. That would make all 3's chances of being worn by Pedro in a game unlikely.

By you saying go for the Goldin auctions one that is misleading a buyer Into thinking he is getting a game worn Pedro Martinez Jersey when he is most likely not.

Curious...are you the Goldin Auctions consignor for the Pedro?

BamaHater
04-15-2014, 11:09 AM
The 2nd jersey comes from Kruk Cards and they are a legit seller on Ebay. He is selling it as game issued, possible game used so I don't think he is trying to fool anyone. That said the jerseys tagging looks to crisp to ever have been used before so my guess is it is team issued.

teddy406
04-15-2014, 03:19 PM
No. Not a consignor of anything in Goldin auction, but I do like Pedro. But I'd prefer a Red Sox gamer of him. Didn't realize the Kruk one had a Mets coa. I'm just saying out of the 3 listed I'd prefer the Goldin one because it has a team coa and Goldin has checked it out on top of that. I think we have to be careful throwing out blanket statements that ALL Pedro's have the extra arm pit thing. Just going thru pictures on Gettys, it doesn't look like they ALL do. It's hard to tell but I'd say that some on them do not. Just my 2 cents.

Phil316
04-15-2014, 03:56 PM
No. Not a consignor of anything in Goldin auction, but I do like Pedro. But I'd prefer a Red Sox gamer of him. Didn't realize the Kruk one had a Mets coa. I'm just saying out of the 3 listed I'd prefer the Goldin one because it has a team coa and Goldin has checked it out on top of that. I think we have to be careful throwing out blanket statements that ALL Pedro's have the extra arm pit thing. Just going thru pictures on Gettys, it doesn't look like they ALL do. It's hard to tell but I'd say that some on them do not. Just my 2 cents.

I see and I agree to a certain point. Thing is you have a veteran collector who specializes in a certain team.

I trust when he says

I would look for the following:

1. Steiner Letter with matching hologram sticker on the jersey.
2. Mesh inserts under the arms (Game ready Pedro jerseys had this feature, as 2 forum members already mentioned).

Without these features, I would stay away.

All 3 of those jerseys have none of that. In my opinion that is a red flag. If you are gonna spend your hard earned money on something you want it to be a sure thing.

I respect your opinion too by the way, I just think if you are looking for a top notch Pedro gamer you might wanna wait until one pops up with those markers mentioned above by TNT.

I would also much prefer a Red Sox gamer :)

Phil316
04-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Here is an example of a 2006 home jersey with Steiner paperwork. It will give you another idea of the extra fabric and Steiner tagging.

Phil316
04-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Here is the tagging.

KGoldin
04-15-2014, 04:23 PM
The pedro jersey has been pulled.
Regardless of a team letter, and proper tagging (which is has both) I don't want to be selling it if so many Mets collectors have an issue with it.

emann
04-15-2014, 05:07 PM
The pedro jersey has been pulled.
Regardless of a team letter, and proper tagging (which is has both) I don't want to be selling it if so many Mets collectors have an issue with it.

+1 for Ken.

TNTtoys
04-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Guys,

Please don't read too deeply into the team letter. The Mets deliberately do not state "GAME USED" on these letters when they don't know the history behind the jersey.

As at least one of you alluded to this, I just the ebay auction to see the Kruk jersey but I do not see the team letter there. I can definitely say with confidence that the Mets are the source of the jersey, as Kruk has done several bulk buys from them.

What I take from a team letter is provenance. You establish the history of the jersey. If the letter comes from the Mets, you know that it is a true jersey that was manufactured for the club. BUT unless it actually states "GAME USED," you cannot make that assumption. Everything sourced from the club (especially team issued jerseys and extras) can have a team letter.

Nick