PDA

View Full Version : Are the Cubs REALLY that greedy?

sox83cubs84
04-12-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm curious to know, with almost 2 weeks gone in the 2014 season, has anyone at the ballpark, Wrigley Field or otherwise, been given a cracked bat during the game or BP by a Cubs player?

A buddy of mine has been told 6 times over the past two seasons by Cubs players that the team has ordered the players to turn them in for resale in the gift shop. Given the Cubs' general attitude towards fans that aren't big spenders or bleacher creatures, I can believe it, although my friend can be pushy and pesty at times. I'm trying to figure out if this refusal of the Cubs to give fans broken bats is just another example of their poor PR skills, or if my friend is being brushed off because of his approach.

Anyone...ANYONE...who has an experience with a Cubs player regarding broken bats in 2014, good or bad, please post it on this thread. I'm anxious to find out the truth.

Dave Miedema

Hoosier39
04-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say it's greedy if a player does t give someone their cracked bat. They get asked every single day for something(auto, ball, gloves, etc) and I'm sure it gets really old. I wouldn't want people asking me to give them my stuff(money, hint hint) either!

Roady
04-13-2014, 08:03 AM
I always thought my children not to beg. :D

metsbats
04-13-2014, 08:09 AM
I don't think the Cubs are greedy and it may be more of the fact that they know alot of the equipment that the players are giving away to 'fans' are being resold for profit.

ctempleton
04-13-2014, 08:47 AM
I was at the cubs vs cards in STL. Edwin jackson was very professional. Signed balls before game during BP and gave the little one his BP cap and took pictures with us

coxfan
04-13-2014, 08:54 AM
The advantage to selling in game-used shops is that everybody has an equal shot at them. That's particularly true of balls, which are inexpensively priced. You're not crowded out by more aggressive folks, or have anyone yelling "Give it to the kid" if you buy it from the team.

lengthwise1
04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Also remember, the player or club is paying for the bat. The game used/authentics dept takes that bat, pays the original buyer (most likely the clubhouse) for the item and then resells it through their dept for a profit. That may not be how all teams operate, but I know a few who do for sure. Seems like a pretty easy way for the club to eliminate overhead in one area and turn a profit in another...

xsentrixsupra
04-15-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm curious to know, with almost 2 weeks gone in the 2014 season, has anyone at the ballpark, Wrigley Field or otherwise, been given a cracked bat during the game or BP by a Cubs player?

A buddy of mine has been told 6 times over the past two seasons by Cubs players that the team has ordered the players to turn them in for resale in the gift shop. Given the Cubs' general attitude towards fans that aren't big spenders or bleacher creatures, I can believe it, although my friend can be pushy and pesty at times. I'm trying to figure out if this refusal of the Cubs to give fans broken bats is just another example of their poor PR skills, or if my friend is being brushed off because of his approach.

Anyone...ANYONE...who has an experience with a Cubs player regarding broken bats in 2014, good or bad, please post it on this thread. I'm anxious to find out the truth.

Dave Miedema

I know someone who helps out the Brewers and he has a lot of broken bats and stuff at home. I dunno if its different for him because he has team affiliation, but it doesn't seem like they have a problem with him getting stuff.

flaco1801
04-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Dave asked a question and thread turned sour.....has anyone been gifted in 2014 from a Cubs player with a broken bat.....

Hoosier39
04-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Dave asked a question and thread turned sour.....has anyone been gifted in 2014 from a Cubs player with a broken bat.....

I don't think it's gotten sour. And I don't think it's greedy for a player not to give anything away either.

metsbats
04-18-2014, 08:36 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=60136

I started a new thread on MLB foul ball catching.

I'm guilty of hijacking this thread too:o

Let's keep this one on topic about the Cubs players giving out freebies.