PDA

View Full Version : Beware solicitation by GU forgers, for helmets, jerseys etc..Any shared experiences?

thesteelcurtain58
03-26-2014, 10:12 PM
The posts and questions by "war helmets" reminded me to post this thread. I'm not accusing him and hope if he is making a Pitt helmet it's for his own collection. But I have been solicited by obvious forgers for, say, pictures or information or examples of good quality gear.

I'm just going to paste what I posted in other threads so they may seem a little out of context. But this board is to educate or even warn each other. Do you guys have any stories, close encounters of someone who just didnt seem right or had some obv red flags?

Hey war helmets,

Did you decide just to manufacture your own Steeler helmets instead of buying them for your own collection? I hope. I'm the one you wanted to buy a legit helmet from and wanted all the high resolution pictures from all the different angles. I hope the pics i sent you helped you. I forgot if the logo was stenciled or not. If you can repost that pic we can help you.

But I was under the impression you wanted to buy mine. You were very excited and complimentary and saying how you couldn't wait to buy since legit Pitt helmets are so rare. We emailed a lot back and forth. Once I sent you pics all of the sudden you suddenly became uninterested and stopped communication. If you decide just to make a helmet..for your own collection I hope...I still have a great collection of legit helmets from diff eras. Like I said. I'm not sure we even got around to a price because you wouldn't ever give me a price range that you were looking for. Im uncomfortable sending too many high def pics that you requested due to some who are manufacturing fake helmets. I'm def not accusing you of this. You do have a very healthy interest in the small details. As do I.

Oh, for the fourth time...did you used to sell helmets at show? Because I could swear I saw a couple guys selling under the same name.."war helmets" at various shows. But those guys def were trying to sell fake Steeler helmets. I can't vouch for the other helmets they had.

Oh, and if you look at my many posts I've shared I haven't posted any Pitt helmets due to the fact I've been solicited by known forgers and don't want to contribute to more fakes. The forgers are good in their research. Early on I've bought a fake which is now a door stop. And not even for sale. And like i told war helmets I have helmets from every decade 70s up with a great many HOFers.

I don't want to educate forgers who read this but they do have a problem reproducing the Steeler logo as questioned and the numerals. As well as many other small markings that is not well known. But, as I said, a few forgers are good with their extensive research, questions, acquiring high resolution photos etc. All Steeler gear is hard to come by and a good helmet could net them thousands which i don't want to contribute to.

At one show there was a guy who had a decent reproduction of a lambert helmet in a glass case but was obvious if you knew what to look for. Unfort not to the average collector who prob lost thousands.

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Hey man,don't sling my name through the mud on here.You are accusing me of something I would never do!Just because you acted weird & wanted to know how much I would give you for a helmet without seeing even a trace of a glimpse of it.Hell I have to see what it looks like before I gave you an offer because you wouldn't tell me what you wanted for it & just said "how much will you give me" without even letting me see a pic of it.P.S. I don't like be accused of stuff so back off!!! I just want one dang Steelers helmet for my collection

genius
03-26-2014, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=I just want one dang Steelers helmet for my collection[/QUOTE]

This line made me laugh, I can sure relate to that!

thesteelcurtain58
03-26-2014, 10:35 PM
If you see, I've said many times, specifically that I'm not accusing you of making fakes to sell. Some people do make reproductions for their own collection. Abs nothing wrong with that. I've said I'm not accusing you but other forgers have def approached me for info. I've gone out of my way to not accuse you and made it clear. So that you can acquire the info you're looking for.

Heck, I've even sent you pictures of legitimate pitt helmets myself. When you told me you were interested in buying. Unfortunately you didnt want any of my helmets. No big deal, like i said, I've never sold one of my Pitt stuff and was hesitant to do so.

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:40 PM

It had been a rocky road for one of those dang things,but I will find one someday.Maybe that team issued for $175 will get me by till I find a real gamer one day.It just has a different stencil on it & that is why I started a thread on it.I didn't want to cause trouble or start a fight

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:43 PM
If you see, I've said many times, specifically that I'm not accusing you of making fakes to sell. Some people do make reproductions for their own collection. Abs nothing wrong with that. I've said I'm not accusing you but other forgers have def approached me for info. I've gone out of my way to not accuse you and made it clear. So that you can acquire the info you're looking for.

Heck, I've even sent you pictures of legitimate pitt helmets myself. When you told me you were interested in buying. Unfortunately you didnt want any of my helmets. No big deal, like i said, I've never sold one of my Pitt stuff and was hesitant to do so.

I just thought you would want too much & you didn't seem like you wanted to sell.I would like to buy one if we could work out a fair deal

beantown
03-26-2014, 10:45 PM
I'd like Bradshaw's Rawlings Ridge helmet :)

thesteelcurtain58
03-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Also, I asked your price range before and after I sent you pics. I'd put my memory against yours at anytime. If you recall, first, i said I have helmets from 3rd stringers to HOFers and needed to know what you were looking vs sending all the pics you requested of many helmets that you wouldn't be interested in or priced out of. That way I'd just send you pics of the ones you wanted. Second, I asked your price range after I sent the pics to see if we were on the same page otherwise why continue with your one sided emails, only interested in more pics, at different angles and specifications. and not answering my questions. Like 3x asking you if you were the same dealer or sold at shows. But all of your emails never answered that.

See gentlemen, that's why I don't solicit or sell any of my collection. I post my collection in my thread, and hope you enjoy. But this is what you get when you try to help someone. I made it clear that i hesitant to sell but he was persistent so tried to help. Believe me, I dont need the 400$ or $900 for a third stringer. It'd be nice but not worth the hassle. Ive had offers in the five figures for some of my jerseys that I've posted but made it clear that I'm not selling. Sigh.

Also, hope u enjoy my thread but I also started a "grouping" thread that is just awesome with your guys posts of groups of gears. If u haven't looked, check it out.

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:49 PM

it was pretty funny wasn't it haha:D

thesteelcurtain58
03-26-2014, 10:53 PM
"want too much".? I never gave a price and you wouldn't tell me what range you were wanting to spend despite me trying to pinpoint several times. You just kept with your questions and wanting more pics.
Believe me, for that #36, if you were my friend...free...if you were nice on the board...prob low hundreds just cause it's buried and I never evervdisplay it. Probably should let the kids wear it and bang it around if it weren't legit.

Ok. I'm completely done with this.

In summation, not accusing you.
Just warning others of probably our biggest concern in this hobby. Forgers.

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Also, I asked your price range before and after I sent you pics. I'd put my memory against yours at anytime. If you recall, first, i said I have helmets from 3rd stringers to HOFers and needed to know what you were looking vs sending all the pics you requested of many helmets that you wouldn't be interested in or priced out of. That way I'd just send you pics of the ones you wanted. Second, I asked your price range after I sent the pics to see if we were on the same page otherwise why continue with your one sided emails, only interested in more pics, at different angles and specifications. and not answering my questions. Like 3x asking you if you were the same dealer or sold at shows. But all of your emails never answered that.

See gentlemen, that's why I don't solicit or sell any of my collection. I post my collection in my thread, and hope you enjoy. But this is what you get when you try to help someone. I made it clear that i hesitant to sell but he was persistent so tried to help. Believe me, I dont need the 400$ or $900 for a third stringer. It'd be nice but not worth the hassle. Ive had offers in the five figures for some of my jerseys that I've posted but made it clear that I'm not selling. Sigh.

Also, hope u enjoy my thread but I also started a "grouping" thread that is just awesome with your guys posts of groups of gears. If u haven't looked, check it out.

Here we go again after I waved the white flag for peace.Your memory is off because I never received these "photos" you speak of.You sent me only one photo & it was across the room.ONE PHOTO ONLY! You are beyond paranoid.Stay off my threads & I will stay off yours,but never accuse me Charlie again

genius
03-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Just one dang 70s home jersey please! But if I ever get one, it will be the classic "now what!!!"

"Just one dang _____" would make a good thread!

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 11:03 PM
"want too much".? I never gave a price and you wouldn't tell me what range you were wanting to spend despite me trying to pinpoint several times. You just kept with your questions and wanting more pics.
Believe me, for that #36, if you were my friend...free...if you were nice on the board...prob low hundreds just cause it's buried and I never evervdisplay it. Probably should let the kids wear it and bang it around if it weren't legit.

Ok. I'm completely done with this.

In summation, not accusing you.
Just warning others of probably our biggest concern in this hobby. Forgers.

I told you I would give you $500 for it & you acted like it was not enough.I am waiving a white flag again with a peace sign

genius
03-26-2014, 11:20 PM
I'd like Bradshaw's Rawlings Ridge helmet :)

Beantown, is this one out there somewhere, that you know of? Meaning is it known to exist in the hobby (rather than who specifically has it)?

beantown
03-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Beantown, is this one out there somewhere, that you know of? Meaning is it known to exist in the hobby (rather than who specifically has it)?

Not that I'm aware of...short window, as he only wore it in '78 and first half of '79...

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 08:41 AM
I think what what happened is he steelcurtain58 looked up my facebook profile & seen where I was in a club called the Vinemont forgers.What we do is drink beer around a bonfire in Vinemont,Alabama & women drink what they drink & me and Dave play guitars & we talk into the night.They sometimes put a piece of iron pipe in the fire & someone holds it w a big set of pliers & the other hits it with a big hammer.We have a great time I tell ya & we also ride 4 wheelers.I am not a computer guy,I just surf.I would not know where to begin making counterfeits.I am a local truck driver who works hard for my pay.I don't even have a copier,so I have to go to the library.Me and him tried to work out a deal on a Steelers helmet and he would never show me a pic.I just thought he didn't want to sell it,as he stated he does not like to sell.That is why he acted so weird I guess.He might have put a label on me because on fbook I like a lot of hard rock bands.People around here only care about Alabama & Auburn football,and don't understand why I like the NFL so much.I just love football & game used helmets from the 1980's.Man that upset me saying I was a solicitor or a manufacturer of fakes & then started a thread.He went way over the line!I hope they won't let him go out attacking & accusing people because he has a museum of big names.Very frustrated!

genius
03-27-2014, 08:59 AM
sounds like a misunderstanding to me especially with "forgers" in your club name! Reminds me of when they announced the USFL "Maulers", everyone thought of a bear mauling or something like that and they were like "no, we're mauling steel!"

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 09:36 AM
sounds like a misunderstanding to me especially with "forgers" in your club name! Reminds me of when they announced the USFL "Maulers", everyone thought of a bear mauling or something like that and they were like "no, we're mauling steel!"

Yep just one big fat misunderstanding.The name of our club is the Vinemont steel forgers.It's just an excuse to get together & drink beer

Roady
03-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Yep just one big fat misunderstanding.The name of our club is the Vinemont steel forgers.It's just an excuse to get together & drink beer

So, are you the same War Helmets that sold at shows?
Or did you answer this already? I didn't see it answered if you did.

thesteelcurtain58
03-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Ok. Doesn't matter to me whether u forge or not. But I will warn others of my experiences and what I think to look out for. Because they have helped me and I have def been taken advantage of for thousands of dollars. So I said I'd drop it but u persist...

1. Please please tell me what I have to gain by accusing u which ive said many times I'm not specifically accusing you just watch out. But you are acting suspiciously.
2. Above U just said I wouldnt send u a pictures. But yesterday u stated I would only send u pics from 20 feet away. Which is it? Perhaps this will jog your memory..on march 7 at 2:47 PM i did send u pics by text message. They're still on my phone and can post a screen shot.
3. I've always said I'm hesitant to sell. This is why. But u always evaded giving me ur price range. Like i said..I have no names to HOFers. But was genuinely trying to help u out. Ur 4-600$ is almost not worth the hassle of packing, mailing, potential dissatisfied customer etc.
4. I asked at least 4-5 times if u were the same "war helmets " I've seen at shows who def had fake Steeler helmets. And u would never, never answer. I simple no would have ended it.
5. Despite answering my questions u always responded with asking for more detailed pics from different angles. I see on march 7 for ex ur asking for inside the helmet, drill holes etc pics.
6. And, no, I didn't look u up on facebook and saw the word forgers on ur Facebook page. I don't have a FB page.
7. Then when u got what u wanted, "so excited to deal with me" etc blah blah all of the sudden u didnt want a helmet. For no reason. We never came up,with a price. So why?
8. But yet now u still are looking for a Pitt helmet.

9. Oh, so ur in Alabama? I didn't know that. But Atlanta/Alabama area is exactly where I've seen "war helmets" the forger. Hmmm

...now, just a lot of suspicious behavior to someone who deals a lot with people and have seen this for decades.
.i could go on with so many holes in ur argument. But let's move on. Not a big deal at all...
Like i said, just let it go. Hopefully if ur making a reproduction, it's for ur own use. Not accusing u of selling fakes or making fakes.

But I am def looking out for other board members here who have helped me.

thesteelcurtain58
03-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Genius,

Just read ur post...that made me laugh. Out loud.

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 07:37 PM
For the record>1.I have never known about nor attended a show that you speak of.I never knew a game used show existed.2 If someone uses my cool user name,I have no control over that amigo.I had a terrible user name that I had when I started on here called "helmet lover".I hated it and changed it to War Helmets.3 The#36 helmet you have,a guy named Abercrombie might have used it???He always wore a Maxpro,but it had his style of facemask & was a Riddell.4 I can tell you are wealthy with all your Peyton choker Manning stuff & Bryce Harper gear & don't need to sell sh#t.5 Last time I went to Atlanta I went to a Braves game & got out of that concrete jungle as quick as I could & wasn't even collecting helmets then.I just started last Aug.I have 3 GU helmets a 49ers,Oilers,& Jets.6 This has been one trial by fire if I have ever seen one Dr.Strange

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 07:46 PM
I posted a pic of the team issued Steelers helmet on my thread you sliced into.Look at the logo.That is why I asked those questions.He is going to sell it to me next week unless I can find a gamer till then.I want a gamer,but it might have to wait a while longer ughh For $175 it won't break the bank & the next best thing

CollectGU
03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
2 If someone uses my cool user name,I have no control over that amigo.I had a terrible user name that I had when I started on here called "helmet lover".I hated it and changed it to War Helmets.

This whole quote made me laugh "helmet lover" haha, good idea to change it! I'm now a fan of War Helmets!....I reserve the right to rescind my fanness should he be found to be War Helmets, the forger. Until then, smash that hot metal pipe and sing your ass off!

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
This whole quote made me laugh "helmet lover" haha, good idea to change it! I'm now a fan of War Helmets!....I reserve the right to rescind my fanness should he be found to be War Helmets, the forger. Until then, smash that hot metal pipe and sing your ass off!

Thanks CollectGU,helmet lover at the end of the day sounded kind of queer lol.War Helmets on the other hand is totally awesome.I wouldn't be suprised if somebody does use that name.Yeah we have a good ol time.My friend Dave is the sings and plays guitar & I play guitar.A cold beer in one hand & a country girl in the other around a bonfire under the Alabama stars with friends & 4 wheeling,priceless

Phil316
03-27-2014, 10:17 PM
I think you two should hash it out over the phone. I know many times words via a CPU or text can be taken out of context and hard to make sense. I know reading this thread spun my head.

I must say I have a picture in my head though of a random field with a bunch of hillbillies banging on hot metal, drinking beer and singing their asses off. This was worth the read.

Hope you guys figure it out.

genius
03-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Genius,

Just read ur post...that made me laugh. Out loud.

The Oscar for Best Unintentional Comedy on a G/U Thread goes to...."One Dang Helmet", starring "Helmet Lover". Helmet Lover, a hobby newbie who changes his handle to "War Helmets" after being cyberbullied over his name, goes up against the King of G/U, the Jack Lambert of cyberspace, "The Curtain", in an epic legal battle. War Helmets, accused by The Curtain of forging a game-issued Walter Abercrombie helmet, proves his innocence by introducing key photo evidence of "The Forgers" smashing hot metal pipes while playing music and drinking beer with a bunch of hot babes around a campfire. War Helmets' legal strategy was devised by the "Genius", who as part of the settlement wrestles his dream jersey away from The Curtain. Genius, not named for his IQ, then drowns his sorrows in a pint of Guinness because, having finally achieved his decades-long quest, he doesn't know what to do with the rest of his life. A dog drops a Beanie Baby in his lap. Cut to credits.

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 10:55 PM
The Oscar for Best Unintentional Comedy on a G/U Thread goes to...."One Dang Helmet", starring "Helmet Lover". Helmet Lover, a hobby newbie who changes his handle to "War Helmets" after being cyberbullied over his name, goes up against the King of G/U, the Jack Lambert of cyberspace, "The Curtain", in an epic legal battle. War Helmets, accused by The Curtain of forging a game-issued Walter Abercrombie helmet, proves his innocence by introducing key photo evidence of "The Forgers" smashing hot metal pipes while playing music and drinking beer with a bunch of hot babes around a campfire. War Helmets' legal strategy was devised by the "Genius", who as part of the settlement wrestles his dream jersey away from The Curtain. Genius, not named for his IQ, then drowns his sorrows in a pint of Guinness because, having finally achieved his decades-long quest, he doesn't know what to do with the rest of his life. A dog drops a Beanie Baby in his lap. Cut to credits.
Funny stuff Genius...I thought I had a wild imagination lol

CollectGU
03-28-2014, 06:48 PM
We need to start a War Helmets fan club named..........wait for it..................War Helmet Lovers, I nominate Genius for President, all in favor say "I"...First meeting to be held in a field in Vinemont, Alabama (for directions contact steel curtain as he says it is close to Atlanta) Activities include singing, drinking, hot pipe smashing,.....and steeler and pitt helmet forging!

Roady
03-28-2014, 07:13 PM
We need to start a War Helmets fan club named..........wait for it..................War Helmet Lovers, I nominate Genius for President, all in favor say "I"...First meeting to be held in a field in Vinemont, Alabama (for directions contact steel curtain as he says it is close to Atlanta) Activities include singing, drinking, hot pipe smashing,.....and steeler and pitt helmet forging!

Man crushes are painful to watch. :D

War Helmets
03-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Not even close to Atlanta,north Alabama.I live in Birmingham & just visit.I'm not much of a drinker anymore. He took a shot at me & I am going to make a counter attack.After reading some of his posts,steelcurtain58 is the biggest doushebag on this forum.There I said it & it is true.Dude needs some humbling for real & I don't care what anybody says.He basically called me a solicitor & a fakes forger & then created this damn thread.You would be pissed if he did that to you as well.If I have to go,no worries

Roady
03-28-2014, 09:14 PM
http://arstechnica.com/civis/download/file.php?mode=view&id=28921&sid=0a07f0c21ea1d9131219f1a8bea65124

Phil316
03-28-2014, 09:22 PM
The problem with alot of members on this forum is a shoot first mentality. I mean we are all guilty of it. War Helmets i am sure if you contact a moderator they will either delete the thread or lock it. There is no point to carry on all the bickering.

Roady
03-28-2014, 09:24 PM
The problem with alot of members on this forum is a shoot first mentality. I mean we are all guilty of it. War Helmets i am sure if you contact a moderator they will either delete the thread or lock it. There is no point to carry on all the bickering.

I believe that is what he wants. ;)

bgakladd
03-28-2014, 09:28 PM
I agree with Phil.

Phil316
03-28-2014, 10:00 PM
I believe that is what he wants. ;)

So he should as it is full of circumstantial evidence. No proof of anything to be honest.

Just ah thread full of assumptions and paranoia in my opinion :rolleyes:

War Helmets
03-28-2014, 10:00 PM
http://arstechnica.com/civis/download/file.php?mode=view&id=28921&sid=0a07f0c21ea1d9131219f1a8bea65124

Roady you are such a crony.What have I done to you?Did richie put $5K in your paypal account.Oh well life goes on ROLL TIDE

Roady
03-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Roady you are such a crony.What have I done to you?Did richie put $5K in your paypal account.Oh well life goes on ROLL TIDE

I just always wanted to use that picture. :D

Roady
03-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Is this what you are trying to say Phil316?

http://pleated-jeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/funny-gifs-dont-judge-too-quickly.gif

Phil316
03-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Yeas sir.