PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose gets SI Cover on 25 year Anniversary

allstarsplus
03-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Its 25 years since the Pete Rose banishment. What would his Game Used do if he in fact got into the Hall of Fame?

Chess2899
03-13-2014, 07:34 AM
There is a vast amount of Pete Rose game used equipment available that collectors have garnered over the years and much that he himself has sold.
Nonetheless, you would see a significant spike in value. Many collectors have Pete Rose memorabilia with the hope that it will someday see an uprise in value.
I tend to agree that gambling was a bad thing, but to our knowledge, he only gambled on his team to win as a manager. He achieved his stats as a player.
I also believe that the steroid gang may also get into the the HOF someday, because it was an ERA of baseball. We also really don't know who might currently be in the HOF that actually used steroids in the 80s and did not get caught because of the inferior testing process at that time.

Gambling is an illness, such as alcoholism or dug addiction. Alcoholism didn't prevent Mantle and many others from seeing the HOF.

allstarsplus
03-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Pete Rose would certainly capitalize on the HOF inscriptions. You have to figure some of the voters are keenly aware of that and don't want to see him profit off of it.

What I remember about watching Pete growing up is how hard he played. I still remember the Ray Fosse play in the All Star game. My coaches taught me to run everything out and I think most of us old enough to have seen Rose play probably learned that way. Play hard. Don't assume the other team will make the play. When I got my shot at coaching, if a player didn't run out a ball to first he would be punished with playing time. Every few games it would work when someone dropped a popup or booted a ball.

The Pete Rose enshrinement is a touchy subject since there are persumably other cheaters who never got caught in the Hall.

sportsnbikes
03-13-2014, 10:48 PM
He definitely should be in the hall. IMO.

bravesfanjd
03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
I sometimes think Pete Rose probably makes more money by not being in the hof. He should be in and I just hope they don't wait for him to die because that would be so classless. I am not sure his prices would go up but who knows

tacprc
03-24-2014, 02:31 PM
I am sure that the value of Rose game used items would increase if he was elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame -- just because of all the positive attention that he would receive.

I am constantly looking for Pete Rose game used pieces, and I am seeing very little for sale anywhere. The supply has really dried up during the past five years or so.