PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Fisk HR ball goes up on auction

allstarsplus
03-13-2014, 06:35 AM
One of the most infamous HR balls in baseball history

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10594681&categoryid=2378529

gorilla777
03-13-2014, 08:51 AM
The bidding on this should be wild...and I have no idea where the price goes here? Something really, really high.

Ben

Chess2899
03-13-2014, 09:42 AM
The bidding on this should be wild...and I have no idea where the price goes here? Something really, really high.

Ben

I assume that the ball on ESPN wasn't the authentic one. That ESPN announcer was handling it getting his greasy hand sweat all over it.

gorilla777
03-13-2014, 12:06 PM
I assume that the ball on ESPN wasn't the authentic one. That ESPN announcer was handling it getting his greasy hand sweat all over it.

Yeah, that wasn't great seeing that at the end of the video. Foster selling the ball for what he did in '99 probably felt like he got a good price on it, but it'll be dwarfed this go around likely.

Roady
03-13-2014, 01:17 PM
I have never understood the hoopla over that game or that hit.
The Red Sox still lost the series. So in the end it didn't matter.

happyyoungster
03-13-2014, 01:26 PM

One word: Showmanship.

jojac
03-13-2014, 01:31 PM

If you lived it you'd understand it better. The Sox were on the edge of elimination when Bernie Carbo hit a pinch hit 3 run homer to tie the game. It was a pretty stressful game to watch if you were a Sox fan and that Fisk homer in the 12th gave the fans something to celebrate going into game 7. In the overall view of things it probably isn't that significant but if you lived that moment it was awesome even though it only lasted for less than 24 hours.

jojac
03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
I think what also made it a big deal at that time is unless I'm mistaken it was the first time the network set up a camera inside the left field wall so they had great footage of Fisks reaction to the ball hitting the foul pole. Prior to that World Series you didn't see that type of angle shot looking into home plate and following the player up the first base line. I think it was NBC and they were pretty proud of themselves for having that shot.

ChrisCavalier
03-13-2014, 02:40 PM
You need to watch 'Good Will Hunting' ;)

swainer
03-13-2014, 03:10 PM
I think what also made it a big deal at that time is unless I'm mistaken it was the first time the network set up a camera inside the left field wall so they had great footage of Fisks reaction to the ball hitting the foul pole. Prior to that World Series you didn't see that type of angle shot looking into home plate and following the player up the first base line. I think it was NBC and they were pretty proud of themselves for having that shot.

Great story behind that shot...

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2012/04/carlton_fisks_iconic_1975_home.html

gorilla777
03-13-2014, 03:45 PM
The game was filled with twists and turns up to that point and the classic home run shot was just the cherry on top.
MLB Network had a great look back at it with some of the players, as it topped their list of greatest all time games.

Roady
03-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I understand it was a great moment.
But it really didn't mean anything in the end.

The Red Sox are a contending World Series class team again but sometimes I think some Sox fans got so used to living in the "so close to breaking the curse" era they are stuck there.

ironmanfan
03-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Of course it did...The Red Sox won that series 3 games to 4

:)

jojac
03-13-2014, 04:35 PM

The Red Sox are a contending World Series class team again but sometimes I think some Sox fans got so used to living in the "so close to breaking the curse" era they are stuck there.

Sox fans had 3 WS Championships in the past 10 years to help them forget that "curse era" and if they were still attached to that era then Bill Buckner wouldn't get cheered (which he deserves) the way he does now at Fenway.
Plain and simple, it was a great World Series but most of all it was an unbelievable game and if you're a baseball fan and you haven't seen it then you should.

Roady
03-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Sox fans had 3 WS Championships in the past 10 years to help them forget that "curse era" and if they were still attached to that era then Bill Buckner wouldn't get cheered (which he deserves) the way he does now at Fenway.
Plain and simple, it was a great World Series but most of all it was an unbelievable game and if you're a baseball fan and you haven't seen it then you should.

I have seen it. And the highlight of that HR is played to the point of ad nauseum.

It was a better World Series if you're a Reds fan.

sportsnbikes
03-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Of course it did...The Red Sox won that series 3 games to 4

:)

Wait, what? The Red Sox won what series? LOL.

Juan Gris
03-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Why did George Foster get to keep the home run ball in the first place? You'd think it being an important ball collected in the field of play at another team's park that Fisk or the Red Sox would have expected the ball to be given over.