PDA

View Full Version : Goodwill find! Need help from vintage baseball collectors!

tkettmn
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Today I think I could have found the holy grail of baseball items at a stop to Goodwill. I have looked for years and only found minor things.....and this could be absolutely nothing but better to check then pass it up.

The glove has the name Robert Higgins, and Bob Higgins. The glove seamed to be super old so I did a quick google search on the name and it came up to a catcher/first baseman from 1909-1912. I know he didn't do anything noteworthy, heck he only had 36 hits. But to have a glove (with the same features as the one pictured with him) from 100+ years ago would be amazing. Whats your thoughts?

http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/traviskett/library/bob%20higgins%20glove?sort=3&page=1

Thanks Travis

cjw
03-11-2014, 11:34 PM
I can't see the name on my phone but can tell you that the style of glove is quite modern - prob from the 1950's. No where near 100 years old unfortunately.

Steeleraddict
03-12-2014, 01:55 AM
I've never seen 100year old leather that remarkably well preserved. Also, the more modern style stands out to me. It should be easy to google the styles in gloves 100 yrs ago. Or check Cooperstown for examples.

Hope it's real. That would be great. ESP finding it at the goodwill. Didn't someone find a Heath miller pro bowl jersey at the goodwill? These are some affluent neighborhoods.

b.heagy
03-12-2014, 06:22 AM
glove is from the 50s-60s era.

b.heagy
03-12-2014, 06:27 AM
attached is an example of what gloves looked like back then

Jim65
03-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Wow, no wonder there were so many .400 hitters back then :)

danesei@yahoo.com
03-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Gloves in the 19C/early 20C didn't have any sort of mesh. They basically looked like mitts, as they were named.

marino13
03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
I've never seen 100year old leather that remarkably well preserved. Also, the more modern style stands out to me. It should be easy to google the styles in gloves 100 yrs ago. Or check Cooperstown for examples.

Hope it's real. That would be great. ESP finding it at the goodwill. Didn't someone find a Heath miller pro bowl jersey at the goodwill? These are some affluent neighborhoods.

That would be me! :D

Been back there a couple more times - no luck. But did pick up some All Star Tickets and a Superbowl ticket. That was fun!

tkettmn
03-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate all the help! I didn't figure it was what I thought, but for $10 thought it was worth a shot!

joecoco
03-14-2014, 01:46 PM
It has been cold here in Massachusetts. I think I will buy myself a pair of those to keep warm :)

Cool find regardless. Congrats!

Joe

xpress34
03-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Just an FYI about 'mitts' and 'gloves' that can help with dating...

The 'web' in gloves wasn't introduced until the late 20's when it's design was given to Rawlings by the last 'legal' spitballer in MLB - 'Spittin' Bill Doak.

Bill Doak model gloves are almost considered a 'must have' if you are a glove collector.

- Smitty

earlywynnfan
03-18-2014, 06:46 AM
Just an FYI about 'mitts' and 'gloves' that can help with dating...

The 'web' in gloves wasn't introduced until the late 20's when it's design was given to Rawlings by the last 'legal' spitballer in MLB - 'Spittin' Bill Doak.

Bill Doak model gloves are almost considered a 'must have' if you are a glove collector.

- Smitty

Wouldn't Burleigh Grimes be the last legal spitballer?

Ken

xpress34
03-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't Burleigh Grimes be the last legal spitballer?

Ken

Actually Ken (as I have read it and been told) - Bill Doak left baseball before Burleigh, and they outlawed the spitball, but he made a short return a few years later and because he had previously pitched in the spitball era, he was 'grandfathered' in...

I will do some research and let you know what I find out.

- Smitty

ironmanfan
03-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Actually Ken (as I have read it and been told) - Bill Doak left baseball before Burleigh, and they outlawed the spitball, but he made a short return a few years later and because he had previously pitched in the spitball era, he was 'grandfathered' in...

I will do some research and let you know what I find out.

- Smitty

to simplify things, just say it was Gaylord Perry....

:D

xpress34
03-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Well played sir... :)

Roady
03-18-2014, 08:48 PM

That is who I first thought of too. :D