PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers/Miguel Cabrera Triple Crown manager's lineup cards

salukidave
03-08-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm selling a pair of Jim Leyland's Detroit Tigers handwritten manager's lineup cards from Miguel Cabrera's 2012 Triple Crown season.

The first is from July 20 when the Tigers beat the Chicago White Sox 4-2 in Detroit. Cabrera was 2 for 4 with a double, run scored and RBI. Justin Verlander earned the victory. The card is white in color.

The second is from Sept. 12 when the Tigers defeated the White Sox 8-6 in Chicago. Cabrera went 3 for 5 with a run scored and RBI. Max Scherzer was the winning pitcher. This one is blue in color and has an MLB hologram (EK 164946). This card also has a crease down the middle as if it was folded to fit into Leyland's pocket and also has a tack hole.

These are Hall-of-Fame type pieces considering Cabrera became the first player in 45 years to win the Triple Crown while leading the Tigers into the World Series and earning the A.L. MVP in 2012. I bought these cards at the SoxFest 2014 Garage Sale. Each is signed by Jim Leyland.

Cost of each is $400 postpaid or both for $750 postpaid. (They would look striking framed together with the home one being white and the visitors being blue, especially with the team's aces pitching in these games.)

You can reach me at salukidave@comcast.net.

Thanks,

Dave

danesei@yahoo.com
03-08-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm wondering two things:

#1) Are these the official line-up cards that go to the umpires or the paper ones that MLB.com sells?

#2) Do the official ones command a significant premium over the paper ones ($10-$30)?

salukidave
03-08-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm wondering two things:

#1) Are these the official line-up cards that go to the umpires or the paper ones that MLB.com sells?

#2) Do the official ones command a significant premium over the paper ones ($10-$30)?

Regarding your first question, this looks to be an official copy exchanged at home plate before the game and then used during the game. I assumed off the top of my head they were Leyland's since he signed them, but it could have been one given to White Sox manager Robin Ventura or the home plate umpire. Since they were sold by the White Sox, chances are good it was a copy the Tigers exchanged with the White Sox. I know some of the manager's cards in the past can also be found in carbon copies, but as you can see in the photos these are both handwritten. Not sure what you have in mind concerning the ones MLB.com sells, but these are not the oversized lineup cards that are usually attached to a dugout wall during the game. These are approximately 5.75 inches by 7.75 inches that the managers or umpire stick in their pocket and pull out during a game to mark changes.

Not sure about your second question regarding official ones vs. paper ones, but these are made of card stock. Non-descript ones go for roughly $30-50 with ones of greater significance worth a premium.

danesei@yahoo.com
03-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Not sure about your second question regarding official ones vs. paper ones, but these are made of card stock. Non-descript ones go for roughly $30-50 with ones of greater significance worth a premium.

Ahh, okay. I was just wondering because JHustle was selling a ton of the paper ones (they looked like colored paper to me) on eBay for $10-$30. It's too bad they're not the official ones. I always thought it would be cool to own one of the clubhouse ones. Good luck with your sale. :)

salukidave
03-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Ahh, okay. I was just wondering because JHustle was selling a ton of the paper ones (they looked like colored paper to me) on eBay for $10-$30. It's too bad they're not the official ones.

FYI, still don't know what you mean by "official" ones. I don't know that seller or those eBay actions, but older manager's lineup cards were of the paper variety.

salukidave
03-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Feel free to make an offer on one or both cards to salukidave@comcast.net.

Dave

salukidave
03-28-2014, 06:51 PM
These are no longer available here. I put the first one on eBay.