PDA

View Full Version : Getty Images are now free

Eric
03-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Good news for style matching and photo matching…

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/03/05/getty_images_drops_its_paywall_opens_up_photos_for _free.html

frikativ54
03-05-2014, 08:15 PM
At first, I was pinching myself, thinking, "It's not April Fool's yet, is it?" :D

Thanks for sharing this, Eric. This is great news!

allstarsplus
03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
When they give us the ability to download in Hi Res then it will be a breakthrough and I doubt that will happen.

As far as I know MLB still has the rights to any MLB photo on Getty and its expensive to legally obtain the Hi Res photos. I know this since I buy several a year and found out last year how expensive it was to do an exclusive photo.

NYRangers
03-05-2014, 09:12 PM
A good start indeed.
That said, let me know if you can help with a high-res of a specific image I am looking for.
Thanks!
rangers8588
(At)
icloud.com

Preston
03-06-2014, 12:10 AM
This is all great but I wish this applied to images that were currently on the site as well.

danesei@yahoo.com
03-06-2014, 01:40 AM
I can understand not releasing the "hi-res" library for multiple reasons, but I don't quite grasp what they did. So the images on site still have the ridiculous watermark, but if someone pays for the image... it still won't have the watermark? I'm pretty much lost on this. The only thing I got from it was that Getty won't sue eBay folks who use their images anymore.

allstarsplus
03-06-2014, 05:37 AM
Getty just Tweeted this out:

http://infocus.gettyimages.com/post/new-embed-lets-you-share-tens-of-millions-of-images#.UxhSX5tgi4w

Getty Images ‏@GettyImages 5m
NEW: Getty Images Embed lets you share tens of millions of images - try it out here! http://bit.ly/1ievSgm #gettyinfocus #embed

allstarsplus
03-06-2014, 05:49 AM
OK, I just tried the easy Tweet feature with my son on his Twitter and the darn Getty watermark is still on there!

Yes, it made it easy but it didn't work like the example of the Angelina Jolie pic in their example.

Maybe just a glitch but this is what it did on this Bryce Harper pic:

https://twitter.com/jakeNATS24/status/441527417073455104

Roady
03-06-2014, 07:10 AM
I can understand not releasing the "hi-res" library for multiple reasons, but I don't quite grasp what they did. So the images on site still have the ridiculous watermark, but if someone pays for the image... it still won't have the watermark? I'm pretty much lost on this. The only thing I got from it was that Getty won't sue eBay folks who use their images anymore.

I am in the boat as you. :confused:

Roady
03-06-2014, 07:12 AM
OK, I just tried the easy Tweet feature with my son on his Twitter and the darn Getty watermark is still on there!

Yes, it made it easy but it didn't work like the example of the Angelina Jolie pic in their example.

I don't mind the watermark on the pics. It lends legitimacy to the image and provides an easy number look up on Getty.

allstarsplus
03-06-2014, 09:31 AM
I don't mind the watermark on the pics. It lends legitimacy to the image and provides an easy number look up on Getty.

Sure, but sometimes the watermark obstructs a key part of the pic and I'd rather it be at the bottom like in that Angelina Jolie pic they used as an example. If that is the way it will stay with MLB and NFL photos, the only difference they will have made is the easy post feature.

I understand that they needed to do something to stop the bootlegs but that still won't stop those who backdoor and steal the Hi Res photos and sell them.

finfanrb23
03-06-2014, 10:21 AM

Hey guys here is how to get them without the water mark. After you click this icon </> another window pops up to embed the photo. If you click on show image preview, it will show the photo below without the watermark. Just right click on it and Save Image As. Some photos don't have this option however, like ones owned by newspapers etc. Gotta love free! Maybe they'll break down someday and let us have the high res too! :D

ousooner_85
03-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Hey guys here is how to get them without the water mark. After you click this icon </> another window pops up to embed the photo. If you click on show image preview, it will show the photo below without the watermark. Just right click on it and Save Image As. Some photos don't have this option however, like ones owned by newspapers etc. Gotta love free! Maybe they'll break down someday and let us have the high res too! :D

I can't seem to follow what you are doing. I don't see this icon </> anywhere?

finfanrb23
03-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately some photos don't have the option. Follow the link to this Harper photo, it should clear up what you are looking for. See the icons directly beneath the photo on the right side?

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/bryce-harper-of-the-washington-nationals-poses-for-a-news-photo/474403257

ousooner_85
03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Simple enough....thanks for clearing that up for me!

Roady
03-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Sure, but sometimes the watermark obstructs a key part of the pic and I'd rather it be at the bottom like in that Angelina Jolie pic they used as an example. If that is the way it will stay with MLB and NFL photos, the only difference they will have made is the easy post feature.

I understand that they needed to do something to stop the bootlegs but that still won't stop those who backdoor and steal the Hi Res photos and sell them.

Good point and I have had it cover key parts of the pics too.

danesei@yahoo.com
03-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Thank you for this explanation.

slats7
03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
I can't seem to follow what you are doing. I don't see this icon </> anywhere?

I see it on a few of the photos, but the vast majority of images do not have that option (as of yet).

Melissa1334
03-06-2014, 04:53 PM
thanks, never would have figured that out! yea too bad it only saves small and you cant make the image bigger. good enough i guess lol

BU54CB
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Great info, except none of the photos I've tried will allow me to click in the show image preview box, any idea why that is?

slats7
03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Great info, except none of the photos I've tried will allow me to click in the show image preview box, any idea why that is?

are you a registered user?

BU54CB
03-07-2014, 09:35 AM
are you a registered user?

I am, logged in and tried it, didn't work for some reason.

Flamechicken
03-07-2014, 10:56 AM

I had issues when using my PC laptop, but when I used my iPad, I could check the box.

Mike

BU54CB
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I had issues when using my PC laptop, but when I used my iPad, I could check the box.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that worked for me