PDA

View Full Version : Hi tech tools for Authentication

allstarsplus
02-27-2014, 09:59 AM
With all the discussion on Eli Manning authentication debacle, I got to thinking about using tech even more.

I could forsee in the distant future that chip technology could be used to date and time stamp and show the GPS movement on jerseys and helmets etc using sensory technology. The problem with jerseys is embedding a chip then washing the jersey and destroying the chip however if it could be done cheap enough then it wouldn't matter.

iBeacon is being installed in stadiums as we speak

http://www.technologytell.com/apple/130140/mlb-utilizing-ibeacon-technology-in-ballparks-on-opening-day/

How cool would it be to pre-purchase a football helmet and GPS track all the movements of that helmet during the game.

I guess it all comes down to cost but the technology is there now.

xsentrixsupra
02-27-2014, 10:26 AM
I think that would be more likely if the leagues actually got more into the collection industry. They obviously know it exists as they auction off tons of jerseys/bats/balls/shoes/etc, but they sell it right then and there as being authentic, however the real problems come up after the fact. Like when they re-sold again on the secondary market is when things get a lot more shady. I'm not sure the teams and leagues care quite as much about that since they've sold their stuff as authentic and as is when its stamped with their tags and letters it fetches even higher prices because of that.

allstarsplus
02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I think that would be more likely if the leagues actually got more into the collection industry. They obviously know it exists as they auction off tons of jerseys/bats/balls/shoes/etc, but they sell it right then and there as being authentic, however the real problems come up after the fact. Like when they re-sold again on the secondary market is when things get a lot more shady. I'm not sure the teams and leagues care quite as much about that since they've sold their stuff as authentic and as is when its stamped with their tags and letters it fetches even higher prices because of that.

I think some people would pay more to track their items even before delivery.

It also will help with theft kind of like a LoJack if it leaves the stadium before being deactivated like a sensor at a clothing store.

xsentrixsupra
02-27-2014, 11:44 AM
I think some people would pay more to track their items even before delivery.

It also will help with theft kind of like a LoJack if it leaves the stadium before being deactivated like a sensor at a clothing store.

I agree with you 100% that us as hobbyists and consumers would definitely like it. All I was saying is the cost of implementing it probably makes it not a very high priority with sports leagues, just because they already make good money for their charities off it and the cost of doing this wouldn't be seen as much in the profits. Now I could see some 3rd party authenticator with a contract with a team like Steiner or something maybe getting on board, but in general I don't think the leagues or teams will ever do something like this.

Phil316
02-27-2014, 02:01 PM
I love my game worn jerseys but who the heck wants there jerseys GPS tracked lmao. As one who enjoys privacy that would be crossing the line in my opinion. I also do not see it happening.

allstarsplus
02-27-2014, 08:41 PM
I love my game worn jerseys but who the heck wants there jerseys GPS tracked lmao. As one who enjoys privacy that would be crossing the line in my opinion. I also do not see it happening.

Like I said, GPS is disabled once the item has been retired and ready for sale just like they do at the store with those embedded sensors.

GPS tracking would be to see when it was used on the field and track its movement. You would know exactly the games it was used for.

Roady
02-27-2014, 10:15 PM
The cost passed on the consumer would be a burden that many would not want I would think.
Some of you have unlimited funds to play with apparently but many of us see the cost of game used items going up and it would further price us out of the market.

Phil316
02-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Like I said, GPS is disabled once the item has been retired and ready for sale just like they do at the store with those embedded sensors.

GPS tracking would be to see when it was used on the field and track its movement. You would know exactly the games it was used for.

Ok that makes more sense. I must not have read it correctly :)