PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Jean Segura Max Bat

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-23-2014, 06:29 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181332627033

The seller has an invisible reserve on it so to speak and I want opinions before I buy it.

He says he got it in the Dominican Republic personally from Segura and says it is an MLB game used bat from 2012.(and judging by his location and awful English it seems believable)

He also said he always gets uncracked bats from Dominican players and his feedback history seems to back that up.

Does it look Segura used and if so what's it worth? Any help is appreciated.

onlyalbert
02-23-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm about 99% sure it's a 2013 bat based on the PR13 code. I think that stands for 2013 because I have several MAX bats of a certain player that are from 2012 and the code on those is ML12 and PR12. Maybe someone else can chime in?

rudyjj18
02-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Yeah not sure what to think of this for a couple reasons. 1) Segura mainly uses Sam Bats. I haven't done a ton of research to see what other brands he has used but I've only seen him use Sam. Now, if this was used during winter ball or something, he may have used a different company - Max. 2) Seller has an Aoki bat listed. I messaged him about that one. I'll probably get the same story about getting it through a clubhouse source or direct from the player.

As far as the value of the bat, MLB auth ones go for $300+ as there aren't many on the market. So, if it's real, it's a decent deal IMO.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Yeah not sure what to think of this for a couple reasons. 1) Segura mainly uses Sam Bats. I haven't done a ton of research to see what other brands he has used but I've only seen him use Sam. Now, if this was used during winter ball or something, he may have used a different company - Max. 2) Seller has an Aoki bat listed. I messaged him about that one. I'll probably get the same story about getting it through a clubhouse source or direct from the player.

As far as the value of the bat, MLB auth ones go for $300+ as there aren't many on the market. So, if it's real, it's a decent deal IMO.

It is a 2013 bat for a couple reasons:
1) The code mentioned before
2)Tape job...didn't use one in 2012

That being said he didn't use this style Max Bat in 2013 ever....and looks like he didn't in spring training either.

This sounds like a workout bat from the DR this winter. Segura and a lot of DR players live there during the off season. I'm guessing that is why he gets so many DR players bats personally. He probably shows up where they are working out and gets them that way.

Whoever is paying $200 is getting a bad deal.

rudyjj18
02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
FYI, he replied about the Aoki bat. Apparently, he's taking offers for it. Supposedly, someone made an offer for $280. I guess he got this one from a Brewers player whom the bat was gifted to from Aoki.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Also the seller added he acquired it a month ago personally...he didn't play winter ball this year so you can write that possibility off the list.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-26-2014, 04:15 PM
FYI, he replied about the Aoki bat. Apparently, he's taking offers for it. Supposedly, someone made an offer for $280. I guess he got this one from a Brewers player whom the bat was gifted to from Aoki.

He said he was taking offers on the Segura bat too and had one already. I made an informal offer of $275 and he was quick to reply saying he would take it off right away and I could pay via Paypal.

A little strange he would jump so quick on a bat he believed was used in the MLB for his rookie season...such a bat could easily fetch $400.(and he specifically said used in the MLB only)

However, my offer came with the agreement I could return it if it didnt pass PSA/DNA authentication.

For a bat he so called got right out of Seguras hands I decided it was to sketchy and lost all interest.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Adding to this sketchy seller, in 2011 he sold a Miguel Cabrera bat...FOR $200!!! I seriously doubt a legit Cabrera bat sold that cheap game used in 2011.

rudyjj18
02-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I was vaguely interested in the Aoki bat because of the unique Japanese lettering but I'm going to pass on it now. Appreciate all the info!