PDA

View Full Version : Getting Game used from the player

Lunytune2
02-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Those of you that obtain items directly from the player , how do you approach them ? Just ask for something ? Tell them you collect game used ? I am going to the Pirates spring training and thought it would be rude to ask for their clothing .

xsentrixsupra
02-19-2014, 10:54 PM
I've never asked a player at a game or a practice for anything. Most of the stuff people get I think comes sourced from people within the team. I know the only game used equipment I've gotten directly from a player is because either I knew 1 of their HS/college teammates/friends or in the case of 1 player on the Bulls, their lawyer haha. I may be wrong here, but if its during a practice or game, probably best you can reasonably hope for is like headbands/gloves/wrist bands/sleeves/hats......possibly shoes

cekirsch129
02-19-2014, 11:44 PM
I always felt it would be awkward to ask a player for stuff like that... Maybe its just because I'm a male in my mid-twenties. Even though it would be awesome to have a player give you something, I like the idea of just buying mlb authenticated stuff from the team store and have legitimate authentication from the mlb

Chess2899
02-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately, club house personnell swipe stuff from the players for personal financial gain. Greg Maddux has made me feel uncomfortable when he signed game used stuff for me because he asked me specifically for names. After 95, some of my Atlanta sources were abruptly cut off.

For example, I had his 94' glove that he said he left in Colorado or thought he did. He badgered me for names. I had to make one up because I didn't want to divulge anything.

The MLB auction route is much easier and I would never ask a player for game used stuff.

maxdog
02-20-2014, 12:19 AM
The way I got game used items when I was younger, was by making something for the player. I would go to the team hotel and give the player what I made and asked him if I could get something of his. I told the player I would be there at batting practice before the game. I was able to get bats, batting gloves, and hats from players like Mike Piazza, Mark McGwire, Wade Boggs, and etc.. Later on I had access to the player parking lot, which made this process much easier. Two tips: Easier when you are a kid and easier when the player is a rookie.

Preston
02-20-2014, 12:38 AM
I have no problem asking, provided it's the right situation...

2 examples:

1. At the tunnel pregame I'll ask a player if I can have his gloves afterwards. I do custom photo work so a lot of times a player will want to trade me his gloves after for a photo, which I'm cool with.

2. I've gotten to know a few Titans players and have offered to reimburse them for their jersey - I've had players take me up on that offer, and I've had players flat out just give me their jersey. Doing custom photo work has really gotten me in good with quite a few of them.

Just my 2 pesos...

Steeleraddict
02-20-2014, 02:07 AM
There's a Steeler fan on this board who got Ryan Clarks by essentially asking I think. Actually, traded jerseys after a game but the point is he contacted him without knowing him. Twitter maybe? Ask him. But the info is def in a his thread.

As an adult, I couldn't see me just asking for something unintroduced to the player. But heck why not? All he can say is no. Or yes!

EricTheRed44
02-20-2014, 05:30 AM
There's a Steeler fan on this board who got Ryan Clarks by essentially asking I think. Actually, traded jerseys after a game but the point is he contacted him without knowing him. Twitter maybe? Ask him. But the info is def in a his thread.

As an adult, I couldn't see me just asking for something unintroduced to the player. But heck why not? All he can say is no. Or yes!

I may be wrong (it does happen) but I believe Clark gave him the jersey from that game because the fan had one of Clark's rookie jerseys from the Giants. Clark wanted the Giants jersey and they met after the game and traded. I may have my stories mixed up but I believe thats the case.

I can't see being in my 30's and asking for something. I think your best bet would be showing a player a ton of stuff you've collected of theirs and saying you'd really love to add to it! It'd be honest (In my case anyway) and maybe they'd appreciate you're collection.

Too many people would take their stuff they got for free and just sell it for all profit. If I were them I wouldnt just give it to an older guy unless I knew he'd appreciate it or I'd give it to young fans.

Lunytune2
02-20-2014, 06:39 AM
The way I got game used items when I was younger, was by making something for the player. I would go to the team hotel and give the player what I made and asked him if I could get something of his. I told the player I would be there at batting practice before the game. I was able to get bats, batting gloves, and hats from players like Mike Piazza, Mark McGwire, Wade Boggs, and etc.. Later on I had access to the player parking lot, which made this process much easier. Two tips: Easier when you are a kid and easier when the player is a rookie.

I have a 4 year old and 6 year old , I could use them as my way in !!

PAC
02-20-2014, 07:07 AM

Players love giving stuff to little kids. Especially if there's a crowd watching, and they have an opportunity to make a big show out of their grand gesture.

I've only ever had success getting broken or used up items after games (broken bats, cracked batting helmets, gloves with holes in them, etc.), that they would've just thrown away anyway.

If you want minor league baseball items, becomes friends with a batboy. I was friends with a couple of them back in the day, and they could get practically anything from the players who passed through their teams.

xsentrixsupra
02-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Players love giving stuff to little kids. Especially if there's a crowd watching, and they have an opportunity to make a big show out of their grand gesture.

I've only ever had success getting broken or used up items after games (broken bats, cracked batting helmets, gloves with holes in them, etc.), that they would've just thrown away anyway.

If you want minor league baseball items, becomes friends with a batboy. I was friends with a couple of them back in the day, and they could get practically anything from the players who passed through their teams.

When I was younger I went to the 49ers training and also the Chicago Bears training. I got a lot of autographs because my mom helped me out and saying "how about this little boy!" Thanks mom! :D

Another way I've gotten stuff is my great aunt who was a 49ers season ticket holder helped organize a charity that worked with the 49ers and Dodgers. If you go to charity functions, there are always players there, you might not get game used stuff there unless its a charity auction, but a good way to get some autographs or pics

sportsnbikes
02-20-2014, 06:32 PM

I sure hope you're kidding.

Lunytune2
02-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Is that against child labor laws ? LOL ... Actually the older one has a lot of interest in game used also , it is both of our collection.

xsentrixsupra
02-20-2014, 09:24 PM

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with that. Unless someone is using it so that they can turn around and sell a bunch of stuff. I will definitely have my kid help me collect stuff and it will be something we share and hopefully as he or she gets older we can enjoy together as a hobby.