PDA

View Full Version : Selling Ethics Question - Thoughts?

RaiderNationPDX
02-17-2014, 07:09 PM
So I'm looking at having to sell a small portion of my personal collection to offset the high cost of some remedial dental work. The majority of items I've narrowed it down to - 1930s laced soccer ball, LSU 1997 Nike prototype football jersey, USC 2002 game issued/possibly worn jersey and a couple Raiders game footballs I have duplicate styles of - are pretty straightforward sales, but there's one that's been giving me pause and I'm looking to get opinions.

I have a 1997/98 season Oregon Ducks football team-issued jersey blank that doesn't particularly fit my collection (I like it well enough, but it's not exactly a cornerstone piece :) ), however I'm concerned about releasing a properly tagged blank into the marketplace. As prevalent as forgeries/misrepresentations are in this hobby, I don't want to contribute to the problem. The last thing I want is for this to be an Akili Smith jersey by next week.

So I'll pose the question to a group of collectors: would you sell the jersey or sit on it? The revenue from it would be nice but not absolutely essential.

RaiderNationPDX
02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Oh, and the moral of the story? Go to the dentist more often than once a decade.

gingi79
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
If you sell an item with honesty, only proporting it to be what it is and someone else changes it, that's not your problem nor is it your responsibility.

You aren't selling tags to forge jerseys nor are you providing the means to create fake items.

Phil316
02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
They make security pens for this very reason. They are cheap and will only show under a black light. I have used them before when selling a couple mariners team issued jersey's. This way I will know if the jersey is ever being sold as game used or anything that it isn't. The marker is permanent but if you pick a place under the inside wash tag or another spot like that it will never be known except to you. It does no ruin the item or anything but it can save you in the future.

Heck I know people that use them every time they sell an item online to make sure if the customer returns the item it is the EXACT item they sent.

xsentrixsupra
02-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Oh, and the moral of the story? Go to the dentist more often than once a decade.

That sucks man, I went to the dentist for the 1st time in 8 years and luckily escaped with only 7 cavities haha.

Hope you recover, what USC items do you have?

RaiderNationPDX
02-18-2014, 09:41 AM
That sucks man, I went to the dentist for the 1st time in 8 years and luckily escaped with only 7 cavities haha.

Hope you recover, what USC items do you have?

Thanks; I should be good in a few days, now it's time to bring the finances back in line. As for USC items, it's just a 2002 #5 jersey (possibly DeShaun Hill, definitely not Reggie Bush), Nike, size 46. It's last on my selling list, but if it comes down to that and you're interested, I'll let you know.

RaiderNationPDX
02-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Appreciate the thoughts on the ethics of selling the blank. I do like the idea of marking the inside seam wash tag with UV pen; I'll have to consider that when I sell.

BamaHater
02-18-2014, 03:28 PM
If I might ask do you have pics of the LSU jersey?

RaiderNationPDX
02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Pics attached; jersey is a prototype from '97 with "NIKE" as the NOB. Style was apparently never implemented by the team, as it doesn't resemble anything they've ever worn on the field. If you're interested, shoot me an email at halliburson (at sign here) yahoo (dot goes here) com. I'll be listing this and others in the C2C (or on eBay if there's no interest there) in the next couple days as I finish writing descriptions.

RaiderNationPDX
02-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Also, after some deliberation I've decided to part with the USC jersey, so xsentrixsupra, if you're interested, email is halliburson (at sign goes here) yahoo (dot goes here) com. Will be listing this in the C2C and posting photos as I finish up with writing descriptions.