PDA

View Full Version : What if he was a Yankee?

dangerzone79
02-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Ok, I'm a Red Sox collector. It's widely regarded that Cano is the best 2nd baseman overall in the game & Pedroia would be number 2. If you don't agree that's fine, but that's not what this is about. When Cano was a Yankee his GU bats went for anywhere from $750 to $900 we'll say, while Pedroia goes for $375 to $500 give or take. Both exceptional players. Cano has much more power, maybe I TINY bit less defensively and is 5 time All Star, has 5 Silver Sluggers, 2 Gold Gloves, and a 1 time WS Champion. Pedroia has better defensive skills slightly, is a Rookie Of The Year, MVP, 3 Gold Gloves , 1 Silver Slugger, 4 time All Star, and 2 time WS Champion.
So the question is this, what would Pedroia bats be worth if he were a Yankee?
Also, Mike Trout bats go for $2,000 right now. How much would they be if he were also a Yankee?
Feel free to pose your own questions too. This could be interesting.

xsentrixsupra
02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
I don't get into baseball stuff much besides a few balls and bats here and there, however I have noticed how much more Yankee stuff goes for versus other teams. I'm not sure how much more value would be added though for Pedroia if he were in the pinstripes. He gets a lot of exposure being with 1 of the storied franchises in MLB. If his goes for 375-500 I'd probably add 20-30% on each if he were a Yankee.

I think there is more of a difference in value if its a small market player who doesn't get quite as much exposure vs someone playing for a team like the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, etc.

jojac
02-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I think the real question here is how much less would Cano and other Yankees items being going for if Steiners wasn't controlling the market on those items. Nothing against Steiners but they're basically the ones setting the prices on a lot of the Yankee items.

yanks12025
02-16-2014, 09:04 PM
I think the real question here is how much less would Cano and other Yankees items being going for if Steiners wasn't controlling the market on those items. Nothing against Steiners but they're basically the ones setting the prices on a lot of the Yankee items.

I disagree 100%. Go look at auction prices of yankee stuff and it still brings in top dollar. Might not be as high from steiner but that's also retail.

Skizzick
02-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Also, Mike Trout bats go for $2,000 right now. How much would they be if he were also a Yankee?
Feel free to pose your own questions too. This could be interesting.

Trout stuff goes for insane money because of rookie/young player hype. Even if he continues at this pace for a few more years, the price of his stuff will go down because a.) there will be more stuff available and b.) people will keep selling it thinking it is at its peak price. If he were a Yankee, I could see it maybe getting a couple hundred dollar bump, but they would probably go for no more than $2500. As crazy as this hobby can be, people still recognize that you shouldn't be paying more for a rookie/young player than you should for a bona fide HOFer

jojac
02-17-2014, 02:40 AM
I disagree 100%. Go look at auction prices of yankee stuff and it still brings in top dollar. Might not be as high from steiner but that's also retail.

Its all based on supply and demand and the Yankees have a huge fan base. You can't ignore Steiners work in managing Yankee memorabilia. Try to even get a ball signed by Mo or Jeter for less than $300. Who would have ever thought they would pay that several years ago for a payer who's still alive.They've done a great job of authenticating game used items to where you could buy with confidence and that also limited the flow of fake jerseys hitting the market.
Back around 2005 you could buy Manny jerseys signed supposedly game used from character's who were selling them out of the trunk of their car just around the corner from Fenway. That would have never happened on Steiners watch.

dangerzone79
02-17-2014, 03:05 AM
As crazy as this hobby can be, people still recognize that you shouldn't be paying more for a rookie/young player than you should for a bona fide HOFer

I like to think this is true, and it may be for many of us, but the bottom line is people pay $2,000 plus dollars for Bryce Harper, Trout, Puig, whether they're gonna pan out long term or not. It's insanity. I think people believe buying these guys bats now is like going back in time and buying Jeter rookie bats that will be worth mega money down the road. Or maybe they're buying them because they just love the player, which I can get behind.

xsentrixsupra
02-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Funny you mention Puig. I have thought about picking up some of his stuff, but its insanely overpriced. I remember a few years ago Matt Kemp stuff was also priced very high and look at him now. I felt a lot better about Kemp being a sustainable superstar than I do about Puig, and still feel better about it even though Kemp has had a very up and down, mostly down ride the last year or so.

maverick14
02-17-2014, 12:30 PM

As for Cano, Steiner had little of his bats. Cano didn't have a GU agent after he left MC so almost all the bats on the market were older bats released during elite or MC times.
Newer bats weren't as easy to find, although they were out there, which also drove up pricing, IMO.

Steeleraddict
02-20-2014, 02:17 AM
Well, apply it to Jeter. Good to great player but if he played for the mariners, no way does his rookie ws bat goe for $96,000

jojac
02-20-2014, 08:28 AM
So is it possible that due to the fools running that team and over spending on free agents that it has caused some kind of trickle down affect to their fan base that causes them to over pay for Yankee stuff.
At least their fans are smart enough not to over pay for those luxury box seats that are typically empty for most of their games.

CampWest
02-20-2014, 10:24 AM
You could say this same thing about a couple hundred guys.

What if Biggio, Bagwell, George Brett, Tony Gwynn, Jim Thome, Joe Mauer, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Nap Lajoie, Greg Maddux, _______ had played 15+ years with the Yankees?

If they had played for the Yankees instead of the Astros, no way Bagwell and Biggio wouldn't be in the Hall right now. Then again if the Red Sox hadn't traded Bagwell, he would most likely be in the Hall (East Coast bias + he'd have hit dozens more HR in Fenway than the Astrodome).

If Bonds had been a Yankee, would the media and HOF voters have been as hard on him or would the steroid narrative be totally different?

yanks12025
02-20-2014, 10:54 AM

What if Biggio, Bagwell, George Brett, Tony Gwynn, Jim Thome, Joe Mauer, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Nap Lajoie, Greg Maddux, _______ had played 15+ years with the Yankees?

If they had played for the Yankees instead of the Astros, no way Bagwell and Biggio wouldn't be in the Hall right now. Then again if the Red Sox hadn't traded Bagwell, he would most likely be in the Hall (East Coast bias + he'd have hit dozens more HR in Fenway than the Astrodome).

If Bonds had been a Yankee, would the media and HOF voters have been as hard on him or would the steroid narrative be totally different?

I disagree.

nevrdiez34
02-20-2014, 11:26 AM

I whole heartedly agree.

marino13
02-20-2014, 10:23 PM
I would say, the answer you are looking for will forthcoming in the next couple months.

I am not interest in Ellsbury's gamers, but I am going to dig deep for McCann (really like him as a player and how he always stood up for his teammates). Maybe Beltran stuff will takes off with the Yankees.

As for Tanaka's stuff, those will be untouchable.