PDA

View Full Version : Jevon Kearse game used helmet - legit?

Preston
02-04-2014, 10:35 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jevon-Kearse-Game-Used-amp-Signed-Tennessee-Titans-Helmet-JSA-amp-SCD-MEARS-/261390055332?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Curious to know anyone's thoughts on this Kearse game helmet - certified by SCD (which as we know later became Mears) - they didn't list a facemask code but I'm more curious about the helmet because I think the facemask would be a secondary question because they didn't list a specific year of the helmet.

I post this knowing there's a risk in a board member seeing the research and buying it but I would rather have the research than make an ill-advised decision.

jhunt28
02-04-2014, 02:10 PM
If we take it from the beginning, Jevon first started in 1999. He wore double side clips on his helmet, and high hookup chinstrap. The Titans also had the much smaller warning decals, like this EBay helmet has. They wore these types of warning decals until 2002. So this helmet has correct warning decal for 1999, but incorrect side clips and lack up high hookup chinstrap.

This EBay helmet has an American flag, which would automatically take it to the 2001 season, in which every team started wearing American Flag decals after the 9/11 attacks. Again, in 2001, Kearse wore double side clips, and high hookup chinstrap. This EBay helmet does not have either.

In 2002, the Titans (and most all NFL Teams) switched to the more rectangular warning decals that you see on helmets currently, which this helmet does not have. So it couldn't have been worn in 2002. Also Kearse switched to a titanium facemask in 2002, which this helmet does not have. Along with the missing double side clips, and lack of high hookup chinstrap.

So based on what I know about the helmet, I'd say there is no way Kearse ever wore this helmet, or had it issued for him. Along with all of the above mentioned lack of characteristics, there is almost zero wear on the helmet or facemask.

Hope this helps in your decision making...

Preston
02-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Thank you VERY much - I kinda wondered when there was also no number decal inside the helmet which most of my Titans game helmets do have that. There were some things that didn't add up to me though I'm by no means a helmet expert but I've learned a little.

frankneck
02-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Something else to consider is that in college Kearse wore a ROPO-DW-XL facemask, which only fits on XL size helmets. I wouldn't consider that to be anything conclusive but if he wore an XL Schutt helmet in college then there's a possibility that this size L Riddell helmet is the wrong size.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2010-08/55315210.jpg