PDA

View Full Version : That was REALLY SAD...Wasnt it? Super Bowl

KGoldin
02-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Great for Seahawks fans
terrible for rest of the country.
although I wish I was in NYC and bought that Russell WIlson GU jersey that didn't meet reserve yesterday

marino13
02-02-2014, 10:12 PM
It was a bore-fest, at best.

I stopped watching at half-time.

If anything, I thought ELI was playing instead of Peyton. That was just beyond NUTS.:D

Dewey2007
02-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Felt a little bad for Peyton. That's a tough way to end such a great season. From that first snap you knew it was going to be a tough day. He's definitely the greatest regular season QB...not the greatest playoff QB.

Great for Seahawks fans
although I wish I was in NYC and bought that Russell WIlson GU jersey that didn't meet reserve yesterday

gingi79
02-02-2014, 11:29 PM
I don't know who should feel more cheated. Peyton fans for that performance of Eli for faking game used gear.

jpipes
02-02-2014, 11:36 PM
I dunno sometimes you just have to enjoy a classic dominating beat down.

> He's definitely the greatest regular season QB...not the greatest playoff QB.

I think Aaron Rodgers still holds the best single season QBR in the NFL. Manning is a great QB but not sure about the best regular season.

I was certainly wondering how a loss would impact the value of his jersey. I'm sort of stunned one sold for 29k yesterday and that Wilson didnt. I agree with the above poster I would have loved to have bid on that one that didnt sell! Double your money in the spot! Anyway a loss may mean my Rodgers gets more bids now! :)

jmeekins33
02-02-2014, 11:40 PM
That game sealed it for me. I will never watch another NFL football game. Period. I'm done. It's been a long time coming, I've debated it, but I've finally had enough.

Dunzo.

r_phelps
02-02-2014, 11:52 PM
I wish football was like baseball and when the score is ran up the players switched positions.

jpipes
02-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Wait I'm confused. When a team is outclassed in a win or go home scenario and gets blown out that makes football bad? Not every game can go down to the wire in an epic dual between titans. Sometimes a team just gets destroyed. It happens.

xpress34
02-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Hey all...

Let me preface this by saying no sour grapes on my part - I live in the Denver Metro area, but I'm a Baseball guy and having grown up in Dallas, the Cowboys are still my team.

That said, outside of the really poor performance all around by the Broncos, two things irked me during this game.

1) Late in the game - already up by 35 points, and the Seahawks go for it on 4th and 2? That's like 1st pitch swinging after back to back jacks in baseball - poor sportsmanship and poor taste.

2) Why did Marcus Allen present the Lombardi Trophy? Why didn't they have Seahawk Legend and NFL HOFer Steve Largent on hand?

That's all I got.

As soon as the game was over, I stripped off my USAFA Jersey to my Rockies Tee Shirt and declared it Baseball Season!

- Smitty

MLB~NUT
02-03-2014, 12:58 AM
I'm with Smitty, footballs Over....:D Hello Baseball!:p

gameused
02-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Sorry couldn't resist.

dangerzone79
02-03-2014, 02:32 AM
Personally I loved the game. I'm not a Manning fan, but I accept & appreciate his massive talent. The fact is he's just not a big game QB. Hopefully this finally puts to bed the notion that he's the greatest QB of all time. I will say I am a Patriots fan, and trying to be unbiased I truly believe Brady is the best there's ever been. Joe Montana is the only one that can take it from Brady. Manning's legacy was hinging on this game, and he couldn't deliver. If anyone in the world says that this is what they expected to happen as far as a final score... they are lying. HELLO BASEBALL SEASON!

RKO18
02-03-2014, 02:35 AM
Tough loss, but tough to pin it on Peyton when the rest of his team played so badly.

*Manning's 34 pass completions broke the all-time Super Bowl record (32) held by Tom Brady and Drew Brees.
*Manning passed Tom Brady to become the NFL's all-time leading passer in the postseason with 6,589 passing yards.
*Manning's postseason passer rating (89.2) is still higher than Brady (87.5), Roethlisberger (83.7) and Elway (79.7).

You just can't expect to win a Super Bowl when your running game yields 1.9 yards-per-carry, your defense allows the opponent to score at will, your special teams gives up a kickoff return for a touchdown to open the second half and your center snaps the ball into an immediate safety to begin the game.

dangerzone79
02-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Tough loss, but tough to pin it on Peyton when the rest of his team played so badly.

*Manning's 34 pass completions broke the all-time Super Bowl record (32) held by Tom Brady and Drew Brees.
*Manning passed Tom Brady to become the NFL's all-time leading passer in the postseason with 6,589 passing yards.
*Manning's postseason passer rating (89.2) is still higher than Brady (87.5), Roethlisberger (83.7) and Elway (79.7).

Very valid points. But still, Brady has been in 5 SB's and won 3. He could easily be 5 of 5 had a couple plays been different. He has the ability to win the big games. Stats are great, but being able to deliver when it matters most isn't something that has a number. But you are totally right that many things went wrong besides Manning tonight.

jmeekins33
02-03-2014, 04:48 AM
Very valid points. But still, Brady has been in 5 SB's and won 3. He could easily be 5 of 5 had a couple plays been different. He has the ability to win the big games. Stats are great, but being able to deliver when it matters most isn't something that has a number. But you are totally right that many things went wrong besides Manning tonight.

Manning was absolutely dominant in the AFC Championship a couple of weeks ago. Most people thought that was a pretty big game. Funny enough, he actually beat Tom Brady's team that day.

You must have missed that one. :D

yanks12025
02-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Wait I'm confused. When a team is outclassed in a win or go home scenario and gets blown out that makes football bad? Not every game can go down to the wire in an epic dual between titans. Sometimes a team just gets destroyed. It happens.

Please Seattle doesn't have class.

yanks12025
02-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Personally I loved the game. I'm not a Manning fan, but I accept & appreciate his massive talent. The fact is he's just not a big game QB. Hopefully this finally puts to bed the notion that he's the greatest QB of all time. I will say I am a Patriots fan, and trying to be unbiased I truly believe Brady is the best there's ever been. Joe Montana is the only one that can take it from Brady. Manning's legacy was hinging on this game, and he couldn't deliver. If anyone in the world says that this is what they expected to happen as far as a final score... they are lying. HELLO BASEBALL SEASON!

I love people blaming the game on manning. Didn't know that manning also played defense and special team last night.

Also peyton didn't have to cheat like tom brady and his pats had to in order to win their Super Bowls .

otismalibu
02-03-2014, 06:56 AM
1) Late in the game - already up by 35 points, and the Seahawks go for it on 4th and 2? That's like 1st pitch swinging after back to back jacks in baseball - poor sportsmanship and poor taste.

Weren't they in FG range? I think they were just trying to eat clock and not score again.

tp_53@yahoo.com
02-03-2014, 08:23 AM
I have to disagree about Brady being the best there's ever been. He lost in his last two Super Bowls, and the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl in ten years, which coincidentally is after the whole "Spygate" thing (which I personally do not believe matters as I am sure every team in the NFL spies in one way or the other). You could say Brady has not been a "big game" quarterback either in my opinion.

I believe that what makes quarterbacks like Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, and Aikman special and sets them above the rest is that they never faltered in the biggest game of them all, the Super Bowl. I know people will say that all of those QB's had a great team around them (see Bradshaw and the Steel Curtain), but without them their team would not have won, simple as that.

Phil316
02-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Great win by Seattle. Can put all the crap aside, Seattle is the better all around team. 1 or 2 players do not make a team it is a group effort. Seattle showed they are the best in the NFL last night. So dangerous on every front

If you wanna talk Brady vs Manning here are some wonderful stats from a Broncos fans point of you. He breaks it down.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1/16/5314860/its-a-team-game

What it boils down to you be the judge. Personally if I had to chose any QB to Chuck the ball for my team I am taking Tom Brady as the overall stats do not lie. It's a team game though and you have to have the weapons in order to win.

marino13
02-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I only watching the game because of the MULTI-MILLIONS paid for commercial slots.

Even that sucks!

But then again, I am happy to see the Floyd "Chicken" Feather dropped $10.4 millions on the Broncos. That is a little over the top bet for me.

And right after the first play of the game - all my superbowl boxes are down the drain. That was the final hope for me for the night!

mbenga28
02-03-2014, 09:42 AM
A friend was curious if the lawsuit with Eli and the Giants affected Peyton. I doubt it, but you never know.

jpipes
02-03-2014, 09:50 AM
>

" I hope we etched our names in the history books. This is the No.1 offense in the history of the NFL, and we were ablet o play a good game against them. Peyton Manning may go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game, and we're just blessed to have an opportunity to play against him. I can't believe it."--Richard Sherman

Yeah, no class at all... He's a great player and a good guy.

>...can't pin this on Manning

Why not? Games are won and lost on key plays and Manning not only made some critical mistakes he also never rose up to lead his team back from being behind. He looked like a depressed deer in the headlights. Someone needs to explain how the 2 INT, lost fumble, Safety (yes, the chicken dance was a factor) and the 73.5 Quarterback Rating wasn't his fault.

Football is a team sport but in critical times and in critical games its often the QB who can make or break a team. Especially with how much Manning has been crowned the best player ever this post season by the media and fans this game can be left at his feet. If he was such a great player he could have dug deep and found a way to win or at least make it a game. He didnt. They didnt just loose they were beat down and that's on him.

Wilson was an underdog his entire life he's a great player his fresh he's young and extremely talented. He has a great back story and this was a great win for him and his coach and team.

I don't watch football to see two teams being gracious having a close tight fight for three hours. Sure those games are wonderful to see and we see enough of them all the time. But in a do or die game its great to see a good team rise up and dominate in every aspect of play. I'm fine with one team being nearly perfect and the other miserable IN RESPONSE versus both teams ebbing and flowing til the last second. Games like this don't ruin football they highlight how great it is to watch a team firing at 110% and playing their hearts out to crush another team.

swainer
02-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I only watching the game because of the MULTI-MILLIONS paid for commercial slots.
And right after the first play of the game - all my superbowl boxes are down the drain. That was the final hope for me for the night!

You didn't watch the game because you had your 09 Jeter bat on the line?????

marino13
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
You didn't watch the game because you had your 09 Jeter bat on the line?????

I gave that up as soon as half time hit.

It sucks also.

But then again, I took from my buddy more before, so I might as well gave something back. :mad:

kudu
02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
From what I read, Peyton only said "Omaha" two times. If thats true, sucks for the charities involved that were supposed to get something like $1500 per "Omaha".:(

xpress34
02-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Weren't they in FG range? I think they were just trying to eat clock and not score again.

Greg -

I could have accepted the FG - they were within range. But there was too much time to end the game. Going for it made it appear as though they wanted another TD.

That's what bothered me.

- Smitty

Roady
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
I don't care if a team runs up the score or not. It doesn't make losing hurt any less.
Sportsmanship is for the handshakes after the match, the helping hand to get up, and not fouling on purpose. (trying to cover all sports here).
It has nothing to do with the score.
If beating a team by 10 instead of 40 makes it bad sportsmanship then why play the game at all? Play checkers instead.

Roady
02-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Should have said .." If beating a team by 40 instead of 10 makes it bad sportsmanship then why play the game at all?"

frikativ54
02-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Great for Seahawks fans

As a person who has lived most of her life in Seattle, I find this comment to be very insulting. Is it "terrible for the rest of the country," for a team to win its first Superbowl? For the first Seattle team to win a major sports championship, since the Sonics did in the 1970s? How many Superbowls does Peyton Manning need to win?

This championship means at lot to the city of Seattle, not just to big sports fans. You would not believe the amount of people dressed in Seahawks gear, from little kids to old men and women. You would not believe how much our city has come together through the 'Hawks. It's great for the city, and I can't see one reason why this is "terrible" for the NFL, or for the rest of the country.

What is your basis for this sentiment? I just don't get it.

Jules9
02-03-2014, 01:49 PM
As a person who has lived most of her life in Seattle, I find this comment to be very insulting. Is it "terrible for the rest of the country," for a team to win its first Superbowl? For the first Seattle team to win a major sports championship, since the Sonics did in the 1970s? How many Superbowls does Peyton Manning need to win?

This championship means at lot to the city of Seattle, not just to big sports fans. You would not believe the amount of people dressed in Seahawks gear, from little kids to old men and women. You would not believe how much our city has come together through the 'Hawks. It's great for the city, and I can't see one reason why this is "terrible" for the NFL, or for the rest of the country.

Relax....I'm sure he just means it wasn't a close competitive game. Game was over at halftime. If your not a broncos or Seahawks fan you probably want to see a close game being played instead of a game being dominated by one team.

If it wasn't for block pools and betting most of the people watching would have turned it off or just not paid attention, I know it happened at the party I was at.

Jules9
02-03-2014, 01:52 PM
I would think it wasn't a shot at the city of Seattle or its fans.

bdeol44
02-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Brady could also easily be 0-5 in superbowls "had a couple plays been different" lots of coulda, woulda shoulda.

In my opinion their is no clear #1 QB of all time...just all time greats top 5, top 10....its what makes the debate so great for us fans.

Greatest ever is debatable in all sports except Basketball(Jordan) and Hockey(Gretzky) IMHO

bdeol44
02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Greg -

I could have accepted the FG - they were within range. But there was too much time to end the game. Going for it made it appear as though they wanted another TD.

That's what bothered me.

- Smitty

if you dont want a team going for it on 4th down...stop them. This is a grown man's game. You see Peyton padding his stats in the last regular season game verus the Raiders.

PS. I am not a Seahawks fan.

akrover
02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
But then again, I am happy to see the Floyd "Chicken" Feather dropped $10.4 millions on the Broncos. That is a little over the top bet for me.

He didn't actually make that bet.

bdeol44
02-03-2014, 02:16 PM

You just can't expect to win a Super Bowl when your running game yields 1.9 yards-per-carry, your defense allows the opponent to score at will, your special teams gives up a kickoff return for a touchdown to open the second half and your center snaps the ball into an immediate safety to begin the game.

Peyton's all time superbowl QB rating in 3 games is: 49.8 (3 td's 4 int's)

yankees506
02-03-2014, 02:32 PM

+100

Couldn't believe my eyes

xpress34
02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
if you dont want a team going for it on 4th down...stop them. This is a grown man's game. You see Peyton padding his stats in the last regular season game verus the Raiders.

PS. I am not a Seahawks fan.

I'm not talking 4th down when it's early in the game and you're inside the Red Zone. I'm not talking 4th down when it's a close game and the points could really make a difference.

I'm talking about SPORTSMANSHIP, when you're up by 35 with less than two minutes remaining and it's 4th down, most teams would kick the FG, not try to pour more salt on the open wound.

That said, I think John Fox made a bad decision to go for it on 4th and whatever at the end of the 1st half down 22-0. Should have taken the Field Goal and gone to the Locker Room with points on the board rather than a Goose Egg. Might not have changed the outcome, but definately couldn't have hurt the morale of the Broncos to have had something to show for the 1st half.

Anyway, I live in Denver - doesn't make me a Broncos fan. It wouldn't have mattered what team did that to any other team - it's still a classless move.

IMO it was a very Unsportsmanlike and very classless move.

RKO18
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Peyton's all time superbowl QB rating in 3 games is: 49.8 (3 td's 4 int's)

Your stats are off.

Manning is 90 of 132 (68.2) for 860 yards, 3 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

That brings his career Super Bowl quarterback rating to 80.1 not 49.8

While far from perfect, it's worth mentioning that his 68.2 completion percentage ranks 2nd in Super Bowl history amongst quarterbacks who have played in multiple Super Bowls.

MercyMe78
02-03-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm not talking 4th down when it's early in the game and you're inside the Red Zone. I'm not talking 4th down when it's a close game and the points could really make a difference.

I'm talking about SPORTSMANSHIP, when you're up by 35 with less than two minutes remaining and it's 4th down, most teams would kick the FG, not try to pour more salt on the open wound.

That said, I think John Fox made a bad decision to go for it on 4th and whatever at the end of the 1st half down 22-0. Should have taken the Field Goal and gone to the Locker Room with points on the board rather than a Goose Egg. Might not have changed the outcome, but definately couldn't have hurt the morale of the Broncos to have had something to show for the 1st half.

Anyway, I live in Denver - doesn't make me a Broncos fan. It wouldn't have mattered what team did that to any other team - it's still a classless move.

IMO it was a very Unsportsmanlike and very classless move.

nothing new from carroll... (although this is coming from a niners fan) and a main reason why most people don't like them

War Helmets
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Worst Super Bowl in years!Manning can break records,but nowhere near Montana in the big games.Bradshaw either.That super bowl sucked unless you are a Seahawks fan & some Raiders fans

bdeol44
02-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Your stats are off.

Manning is 90 of 132 (68.2) for 860 yards, 3 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

That brings his career Super Bowl quarterback rating to 80.1 not 49.8

While far from perfect, it's worth mentioning that his 68.2 completion percentage ranks 2nd in Super Bowl history amongst quarterbacks who have played in multiple Super Bowls.

My apologies you are correct. I was looking at "QBR" rating.

Somethings stats are diluted, such as the record for most Super Bowl completions last night. When your playing from behind and throwing 5 yard passes all night, you will set a completions record. Look at Demaryius Thomas receiving record set last night as another example.

marino13
02-03-2014, 06:22 PM

Hey, at least now you got CANO. Hopefully, his stuff will be affordable instead of untouchable. :D

marino13
02-03-2014, 06:26 PM
He didn't actually make that bet.

He is a notorious gambler. And being known as such, he only showoff on winning bets and denied on losing ones.

That is natural.

I thought it was a good bet at the beginning too - and if I had the same funds, I would have done the same thing. And when people asked me about it after the game, I would say "What? I would never ever do that." :D

dangerzone79
02-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Brady could also easily be 0-5 in superbowls "had a couple plays been different" lots of coulda, woulda shoulda.

In my opinion their is no clear #1 QB of all time...just all time greats top 5, top 10....its what makes the debate so great for us fans.

Greatest ever is debatable in all sports except Basketball(Jordan) and Hockey(Gretzky) IMHO

I can agree on all of that. I'm happy with a top 5.

Roady
02-03-2014, 08:14 PM
The QB I most admired was Jim Plunkett.

sox83cubs84
02-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Although I was rooting for Denver, I do admit to having interest in Seattle QB Russell Wilson. If you're a GU jersey collector, how can you not? Loo at his name...two former NFL uniform suppliers!

Dave Miedema

kudu
02-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Although I was rooting for Denver, I do admit to having interest in Seattle QB Russell Wilson. If you're a GU jersey collector, how can you not? Loo at his name...two former NFL uniform suppliers!

Dave Miedema

LOL, imagine trying to do a search for threads related to Russell Wilson on GUU.:D

93cobra
02-04-2014, 10:50 AM
LOL at the Manning apologists. People forget that in the 2 Brady losses he still drove down the field and took the lead with under 2 minutes left.

cjw
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Dave Miedema

Nice :) Dave! Trust you to run with that. You can tell where you mind goes. Addicted to jerseys like a few of us.

sox83cubs84
02-04-2014, 08:01 PM
LOL, imagine trying to do a search for threads related to Russell Wilson on GUU.:D

Yep...were looking at a needle in a haystack if the search terms aren't specific enough.

Dave M.

Phil316
02-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Got my tickets for the Seahawks Rally @@!@!@!@!@! GO HAWKS !