PDA

View Full Version : Most you have overpaid for an item and best deal you have ever gotten.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-01-2014, 11:04 AM
We have all been there. For whatever the reason you thought you had to have it and paid more than it was worth to get it. What was yours?

I love the new style MLB helmets and I wanted one bad. The Brewers auction off a Weeks retro helmet that had slight bill damage and I loved how it looked. Regardless at $180 I think I paid a tad too much...but I Dont regret the purchase.

On the positive side there is likely a time you got a good deal too. What was yours?

Ironically my best deal also happens to be Rickie Weeks. I bought a 2011 retro jersey with the special "stars" on the back. Which 2011 all stars wore the week before the AS game. I ended up taking a slight gamble as it was listed as team issued, but after much hard work I photo matched it as being the actual game used jersey. Rickie Weeks had a huge day capped off by an inside the park home run. I Dont really know how much or even care as it is not going anywhere, but regardless it is surely worth more than the $250 I paid.

So I would love to hear some of the interesting steals and overpays you guys have...I know some of the more experienced members have gotten some nice deals

MikeKam
02-01-2014, 11:13 AM
I don't really deal with game used stuff, but I managed to buy a Felix Potvin game use stick for $40 which was awesome. In terms of overpaying, I once bought a signed Datsyuk jersey for way more than it was worth haha.

cfern023
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I've been lucky....I tend to limit my exposure.

My best deal happens to be tied with three different ones.

The first is a Giancarlo Stanton GU bat I bought for $75, once I went home with it I ended up finding out I attended that game with my nephew two weeks before. He hit a home run in the game, and I actually happened to take photos of the bat breaking with my own camera.

The second is a Piazza GU Bat that my cousin found at an estate sale, just happened to fall in our laps and I paid him $50 for it.

The third is a GU Orange Marlins Helmet I got for $50 bucks at the latest garage sale. I hope to get it signed this ST.

Not the best, but they all definately mean more to me than alot of other junk I've bought over the years.

bd300
02-01-2014, 11:04 PM
The new batting helmets sell for $500 on the Rawlings website. I think $180 is a great price.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-01-2014, 11:17 PM
The new batting helmets sell for $500 on the Rawlings website. I think $180 is a great price.

It isn't a horrible price by any means, but $180 is still a lot for a game used helmet in general. If you want a Brewers one it is the cheapest from a notable player though. They currently ask $250-$500 depending on the player.

Kind of the way it goes if you want recent Milwaukee Brewers stuff these days. Their auctions are rather dissapointing. $400 starting price for a Gomez jersey and $200 for a no name player...0 bids is the norm.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-01-2014, 11:20 PM
I've been lucky....I tend to limit my exposure.

My best deal happens to be tied with three different ones.

The first is a Giancarlo Stanton GU bat I bought for $75, once I went home with it I ended up finding out I attended that game with my nephew two weeks before. He hit a home run in the game, and I actually happened to take photos of the bat breaking with my own camera.

The second is a Piazza GU Bat that my cousin found at an estate sale, just happened to fall in our laps and I paid him $50 for it.

The third is a GU Orange Marlins Helmet I got for $50 bucks at the latest garage sale. I hope to get it signed this ST.

Not the best, but they all definately mean more to me than alot of other junk I've bought over the years.

Pretty cool you could get something from a big game you went to totally by accident....and getting pictures of it breaking is that much cooler.

Ray371170
02-02-2014, 01:59 AM
I think I lucked out with a Prince Fielder Game Used batting helmet . I payed way less then I expected :

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/551116_204256733116035_166120838_n.jpg

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1526255_201651966709845_1181595281_n.jpg

Payed under $300 . I say a great pick-up

johnsontravis@ymail.com
02-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Payed under $300 . I say a great pick-up

For a guy who will likely be in the HOF when all said and done it is hard to go wrong at $300 for a helmet.

spartanservitto
02-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I over paid for my Prince Home Run bat, but to photomatch it and have it signed and inscribed into a "one of one" piece makes it worth it.

The best deals were my Cabrera Home Run bats and game used bat. 500 each for the 11 and 12, and 300 for the 2009 bat. Definitely a steal where is market is today.

tp_53@yahoo.com
02-02-2014, 11:20 AM
My best and probably worst deal actually came on the same item, my 90-91 Rob Brown Penguins jersey. I bought it through eBay for a heck of a deal in my opinion right when I got into the hobby. In a move I came to regret, I ended up trading it away a little while later. I waited and waited and was finally able to buy it back from the owner, but at a price! Way more than double what I originally paid for it!