PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a discussion/opinions please...How much is too much?

thesteelcurtain58
02-01-2014, 05:10 AM
Seriously, how much is too much of a player? Ex, I have an Indy manning, Denver home and away manning. Do I really need an alternate jersey too?
Some of you guys have awesome bat collections. I have two pujols bats and that's enough for me. I have a home Rodgers jersey and trying to decide if i want to bid on the away jersey. I like him a lot but he's not a Steeler. Also, for some reason I have something like 4 ward jerseys.
This def is not meant to brag. Please believe me. My collection pales to some of yours.
Of my fav MLB player I have a home, away, alternate and a couple other jerseys due to different important patches. It gets so I just have rows of the same guy.
I'm asking where do you guys draw the line? Is this boardering on hoarding? I've never sold one that I cam remember. I'd hate to get where I have essentially the same looking jersey except one may be from an important statistical game...too much for me.
I have a home jersey of a favorite player and now an away jersey is up for auction. It's ok looking but will cost probably a lot. it just never seems to end the amount of gear available. Even Steeler gear which is notoriously tight. Although becoming more prevalent lately.
I'd really like input from guys with those awesome bat collections. I remember one guy had just a crazy number of pujols bats. Very nice.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!!

Jags Fan Dan
02-01-2014, 06:41 AM
I think if your collecting one player or maybe even one team, the sky is the limit, you get any quality piece you can. But with a collection that crosses different teams, sports, (I.e. if you just collect anything you like and don't have a real focus) I don't know why you would want multiples of same styles jerseys, bats, etc. But for a huge Manning fan or collector, yes, you need the alternate jersey if you have the means and opportunity to acquire it!!!!:D

tp_53@yahoo.com
02-01-2014, 08:14 AM
I think you probably have to much Steelers stuff. Mostly with four Ward jerseys, you better go ahead and send one my way!! Haha

scottanservitz
02-01-2014, 08:40 AM
The Manning jersey, you need. It would just make sense to me to have the different styles and would display well. Now player bats, if the player is a favorite, I'd only collect different models/brands to fill the collection, unless it was a documented milestone bat. Otherwise I would collect different players. But you know, if the item is a good deal it sometimes is difficult to walk away! Even if you already own one.

gingi79
02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
As a player collector, enough is when I have one of each style jersey my two guys have worn. :p

Jim65
02-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Its never enough until you say its enough, its your collection.

I'm not a player collector, I'm a team collector so I never have enough Mets/Dolphins/Devils/NJ Generals stuff.

KGoldin
02-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Aaron Rodgers called me last night
He said he really wants you to have his road jersey

aallanson
02-01-2014, 10:36 AM

I'm not a player collector, I'm a team collector so I never have enough Mets/Dolphins/Devils/NJ Generals stuff.

This, but substitute game worn Florida State football jerseys.

beaglegypsy003
02-01-2014, 11:29 AM
I collect alumni of my school so I'm not stuck with any particular team. The most jerseys I have of a single player is of Maa Tanuvasa with four. One is a team issued Denver Broncos orange crush jersey, the second is the style which replaced it, third is a practice jersey, and the last is a San Diego Chargers home. I would buy jerseys of different teams that they played for. Price also plays into it. You buy a duplicate and later something you really want pops up and now you don't have the funds for it. The most important thing is to buy what you enjoy.

Nnunnari
02-01-2014, 11:33 AM
No such thing as too much.
If you want to see a forum member's amazing Tony Gwynn collection (not mine) check out my website for pics.

solarlottry
02-01-2014, 02:00 PM
I have 12 Steve Young game worn jerseys as well as 11 Ricky Watters gamers and I am always looking to add more!!! My internal conflict is based on how much to spend for additional shirts that pop up. At this point in time I cannot justify spending huge amounts to add additional Young or Watters gamers unless they are specific shirts I have been looking for. If I had endless funds though I would add almost any legit Young or Watters gamer that popped up for sale.

Always looking to purchase 49er gamers!!!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

aallanson
02-01-2014, 03:35 PM
I have 12 Steve Young game worn jerseys as well as 11 Ricky Watters gamers and I am always looking to add more!!! My internal conflict is based on how much to spend for additional shirts that pop up. At this point in time I cannot justify spending huge amounts to add additional Young or Watters gamers unless they are specific shirts I have been looking for. If I had endless funds though I would add almost any legit Young or Watters gamer that popped up for sale.

Always looking to purchase 49er gamers!!!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Holy Hannah! I need to see a pic with all 12 young jerseys shown at the same time. Who needs to watch the super bowl tomorrow? I could stare at that pic for 4 hours!

Any Amp Lee jerseys? Alan

thesteelcurtain58
02-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Ken,
Ha. Very nice. And you're correct. One of a few i have my eye on. Tho I seem to be spending a lot lately.

TNTtoys
02-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I'll chime in because I have a player collection... No surprise, it's John Olerud.

I set out to collect 1 of every style jersey he wore on field with the Mets. That said, he wore 12 different style jerseys... and after a long journey, I have 11 of the 12. Do the Mets wear far too many jersey styles? Probably. Is this collection excessive? Probably.

...but it was fun to collect and at this point I think it's such a nice collection that I prefer not to do anything with it.

I did have doubles of 2 styles, and have since sold them... so I do have my limits :-)

tom1315
02-02-2014, 08:30 AM
My sense is one cannot have too much of one player or team that he/she is passionate about. I visit my memorabilia room at least once a day…enjoy the helmets and jerseys displayed…move some around pairing different gamers and then typically once a day look at various sites for new gamers. My dilemma is I'm running out of room. I started collecting ACC helmets…then SEC and now focused on NFL…too many teams, too many variations…my shelves runneth over so I've began reducing some of my less favorites…in the end to each his own and what his "bride" can support.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

Neely8
02-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I have 14 game worn Ray Bourque and 8 Cam Neely game worn Boston Bruins jerseys and am always looking for more so I guess that's not quite enough just yet!

thesteelcurtain58
02-10-2014, 03:52 AM
12 steve young gamers? Wow and awesome. You have def cornered the market and can name your own price. Back then I don't think they wore a new jersey every game. So how many do you think are out there?
It would be great to see a pic of all 12 together. I don't think im alone in saying that.

Now I've got Peytons Indy home and away and also Peytons Denver home and away jersey. Also his Indy GU helmet. I thought that was a bit much but apparently I'm not even close.

Guys, share some more stories in what isn't too much.
Thx

jaredstupsky
02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
I would be more than willing to take any of your "extra" steeler game items off of you. Seem hard to find and I have gotten my hands on a few different items. Love this side of the hobby but there just isn't the availability I would like.

If you want to move any, please email me at jared_stupsky@yahoo.com

esquiresports
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
I try to limit my collection to what I have space to display. If that's not an issue for you, I think it would be great to have one away and one home jersey of my favorite football player from each team he played for (unless it's a place I'd want to forget - like Favre and the Jets). For Manning, that would mean four jerseys. Next up would be alternates. Less important to me.

For baseball, I would ideally have one home and away jersey for each style worn during a player's career - meaning if there were six different home and away styles over his career, I would try to get those 12 jerseys. I could go as far as trying to get a home and away for every year he played. Again, alternates are less important to me, and I feel they are a little gimmicky.

On top of all of this, the pinnacle would be to add playoff, all-star/pro-bowl, and milestone jerseys.

thesteelcurtain58
02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Esquire,
You're correct. Now I have four mannings and a helmet. Does Indy have a throwback or are they the throwback? Bruce Harper I think I have 4 or 5 but I do like him. That's why it was a lot of work to meet with him privately. Good guy. Not the attitude that u see in the press at all.

Jared,
You're right. Pitt is very hard to come by. So that tells me I do have too much. It's like baskets of laundry now. I've got a great idea for a display room. You know you have too much when you start turning down Pitt jerseys.

On the other hand I remember when a Brady fan posted something like 7 different Brady jerseys....from Michigan up to now with throwbacks. Although they weren't GU the display looked awesome. Almost something to strive for. But impossible for Pitt players.

Solar, it'd be great if you could post all 12 youngs together. Impressive.

Nnunnari, what's the working website for the gwynn collection?

Nnunnari
02-11-2014, 06:52 PM
http://www.gubats.com/#!the-salazar-collection/c1rw5

Make sure you keep clicking on the "show more" button.

JDubbs73
02-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Make sure you keep clicking on the "show more" button.

That is an EPIC Gwynn collection...amazing!

Chess2899
02-11-2014, 07:18 PM
My wife would say it is hoarding. I am a one. It may be an obsessive compulsive disease or a heavy addiction. But it is not an addiction like drugs,alcohol, or gambling but an addiction that might actually hold future investment potential.

Would you rather gamble $10,000 on sporting events or buy Steeler jerseys for $10,000? The natural "high" lasts much longer with the jersey over gambling action.

If you go broke buying jerseys and pants, at least you will have something to wear as a homeless person. Many people with the other addictions wander the streets without clothes.

So I say, go for it!

Steeleraddict
02-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Nnunnari,
Now that is about impressive of a collection as it can get. Rivaled by none.
Very nice!!!

Chess2899
02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
That is an incredible collection. Absolutely amazing!

jmeekins33
02-11-2014, 11:52 PM
I would probably draw the line at getting one jersey of each style for my favorite players. No duplicates. That's just me though.

xsentrixsupra
02-12-2014, 03:27 PM
For me it is like most people said, space and money. I know 1 person who has a lot of Brewers jerseys that are game used, but he doesn't even have room on any walls of his house to display them all, so they really hang in a closet like his regular work shirts would. Same thing for him with bats, they just are lined up against walls in some of his closets. He used to be a bat boy for a few years for the Brewers so thats how he collected a lot of it, but has since bought more of players who weren't around during his tenure.

solarlottry
02-15-2014, 03:32 AM
There are a number of forum members who wanted to see the Steve Young collection. Well here it is...

10 Steve Young 49er game worn jerseys including:
1993 away vs Atlanta
1993 home playoff shirt vs NYG
1994 home non throwback vs Denver (preseason)
1994 home throwback vs Denver
1994 away throwback vs San Diego
1994 away throwback vs New Orleans
1995 home
1997 home vs Tampa Bay
1997 home vs the Rams
1998 away-uniform with pants and socks.

The 1993, 94 and 1995 jerseys all have team letters.

1994 away practice jersey with team letter

1998 Pro Bowl worn jersey from Herman Moore collection.

Always looking for Steve Young items especially a USFL gamer. Always buying 49er gamers especially 1994 game worn items and vintage 80s shirts.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

thesteelcurtain58
02-16-2014, 02:20 AM
Paul,

Impressive. Impressive in it's entire appearance. Looks like you wiin and game over. Ha.
So are there any left that you're looking for?
What about the orange Popsicle years with Tampa bay? I'm not sure I've seen any gamers with TB other than pics of him running for his life.

And i guess that answers the main question.
If I run across any you'll be first in my mind.

Thanks for sharing. Awesome collection just to see them grouped together.

aallanson
02-16-2014, 02:57 AM
There are a number of forum members who wanted to see the Steve Young collection. Well here it is...

10 Steve Young 49er game worn jerseys including:
1993 away vs Atlanta
1993 home playoff shirt vs NYG
1994 home non throwback vs Denver (preseason)
1994 home throwback vs Denver
1994 away throwback vs San Diego
1994 away throwback vs New Orleans
1995 home
1997 home vs Tampa Bay
1997 home vs the Rams
1998 away-uniform with pants and socks.

The 1993, 94 and 1995 jerseys all have team letters.

1994 away practice jersey with team letter

1998 Pro Bowl worn jersey from Herman Moore collection.

Always looking for Steve Young items especially a USFL gamer. Always buying 49er gamers especially 1994 game worn items and vintage 80s shirts.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Awesome to see! Thanks for posting! Alan

thesteelcurtain58
02-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Also Paul,

Have you considered GU helmets of young's? Or any BYU gear? I'm not sure I've come across any of his byu gear.

solarlottry
02-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I am actively looking for any Steve Young game worn items. I would love to find a USFL gamer plus a Tampa. Bay gamer. Grey Flannel had a Young USFL uniform a couple years ago which I did not bid on and regret not doing so. I have been told by Tampa Bay collectors that Young game worn TB items have never surfaced although I am sure a lucky collector has one. The only Young TB item I have ever seen was a locker room nameplate. I have never seen a Young BYU shirt.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really appreciate it.

Next I will post the Ricky Watters collection which is 12 or 13 gamers.

Always buying 49er game worn items!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Steeleraddict
02-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Too much is when you win a HOF quarterback's jersey. Upon delivery, you open the box, peak in without unfolding it or removing it from the plastic bag, and then tossing the whole box into a corner. Where it sits for a few weeks so far. Definitely.

gingi79
02-20-2014, 02:29 AM
Too much is when you win a HOF quarterback's jersey. Upon delivery, you open the box, peak in without unfolding it or removing it from the plastic bag, and then tossing the whole box into a corner. Where it sits for a few weeks so far. Definitely.

I agree with this sentiment (and I got the jest at yourself). When you get an item and it becomes just another for the collection, you're done.

If the anticipation of getting your 15th style for the same guy in the mail still makes you giddy, keep looking for #16

Steeleraddict
02-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Gingi79,

there are still Steeler items that get me excited to get them. Even, say,first or second year defensive players due to their potential.
And i still love discovering an item that would go great in my collection that I hadnt thought of. Even when that day comes when I tire of it, I dont see me selling any. Maybe some of the pricier ones. One or two I may literally take to my grave. Ha.

net0@thehalf
02-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Also Paul,

Have you considered GU helmets of young's? Or any BYU gear? I'm not sure I've come across any of his byu gear.

What is your email address?

spartanservitto
02-24-2014, 07:26 PM
I collect players I like/ will be either remembered as great or a HOFer. I'll buy what's nice and at the right price.

Steeleraddict
03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm leaning towards more big name star vs anyone that plays for the steelers. Although they're rare in and of itself.

At the right price? I don't think that has ever stopped me before. Ha and ugh

HawaiiSportsNut
03-05-2014, 02:40 AM
Here's my Kurt Suzuki game issued/used jersey collection. I had been looking for one of Kurt's jersey for 2 years without any luck. Then in the last year and a half I was able to add a bunch of them to my Kurt Suzuki collection. I am still looking for a few pairs of his pants. I wonder what the team does with all of the pants?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9215/j423.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5692/ivdo.jpg

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1894/7rym.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6642/5s9j.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6010/2yx7.jpg

I had to refold them so I decided to take a few pics of them. Here's how I store them. The are folded & wraped in lignin free tissue paper.
I don't hang my jerseys because they will stretch out of shape at the shoulder area. It's best to fold them & refold every 6 months
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4903/jqrh.jpg

Steeleraddict
03-05-2014, 02:44 AM
Wow. Speechless.....awesome collection. Great to see. Thx for sharing.

beaglegypsy003
03-05-2014, 04:47 AM
So how many Suzuki items do you own altogether and how much of it is on display? My University of Hawaii alumni collection numbers around 105 jerseys and 9 helmets. All the helmets are on display along with 26 jerseys (13 on mannequins and 13 in shadow frames). I rotate some of the jerseys each month. I also have game cleats and gloves on display along with 53 custom McFarlanes. Most of the McFarlanes show the players in the jerseys I have in my collection.

HawaiiSportsNut
03-06-2014, 04:27 AM
So how many Suzuki items do you own altogether and how much of it is on display? My University of Hawaii alumni collection numbers around 105 jerseys and 9 helmets. All the helmets are on display along with 26 jerseys (13 on mannequins and 13 in shadow frames). I rotate some of the jerseys each month. I also have game cleats and gloves on display along with 53 custom McFarlanes. Most of the McFarlanes show the players in the jerseys I have in my collection.

WOW!!! My Suzuki collection pales in comparison to your UH collection. Currently I don't have much of the collection on display. I still need to do some remodeling, which has been on hold for a while. I had a few surgeries & numerous medical expenses in the past 3 years. I hope to do the remodeling over the summer so that I can properly display the Suzuki collection.

I have been looking for a few mannequins but the shipping cost more than the mannequins it self. I haven't had much luck in finding used ones either. On the McFarlanes, do you do your own customizing? I was thing of finding someone to to a custom Suzuki for me.

Here's a link for my Suzuki & Hawaii born athletes collection. My wife does the website for me.
http://www.guppies4me.com/suzuki/

beaglegypsy003
03-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Right now I have lots of time to work on my collection since I'm at home recovering from from second shoulder surgery in two years. My father passed away last year and to help me deal with the situation, I decided to convert a room into my UH display area. I've been communicating with some ex-UH football players from the early 80s and getting things autographed by them. In fact former UH kicker Jim Asmus came to the house in January to see my display which included his USFL jersey from the Arizona Wranglers. He signed his jersey and a USFL football for me. He also dropped off a Wranglers mini helmet I sent him to sign along with a Dallas Cowboys mini signed by Gary Allen. I do my own customized McFarlanes but only for myself. I can send you a local contact that does custom orders. Your best bet to find mannequins is when a store goes out of business. Not exactly cheap (I paid on average of $70 each) but lucked out the last time when it was for free.

beaglegypsy003
03-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Nice website and a terrific collection. If you Google search 808 Sports Customz you will be able to see a gallery of the type of work they do with custom McFarlanes. I didn't see any Kurt Suzuki but did see some baseball figures. For my figurines, I cut a rectangular piece of styrene plastic 14th inches for the player to sign on and secure it to the plastic base. I'm also able to mail the styrene pieces to the player for them to autograph and mail back to me in a SASE.

beaglegypsy003
03-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Sorry for the auto correct. It suppose to say 1x4 inches for the dimensions of the styrene piece. You can see pictures of some of my custom McFarlanes on page 167 on Show Me Your NFL thread. I have pictures of the Jeris White; Walter Murray; and Adrian Klemm pieces I made.

allstarsplus
03-06-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm Andrew.....and I'm an addict. I have over 500 jerseys in my collection and recently changed my focus on collecting to doing it with my kids as one day it will all be theirs and hopefully can be curated into a museum. I changed the focus of my collection from the 500 HR club and all Washington DC sports which was NHL Capitals, NBA Bullets/Wizards and NFL Redskins to mainly the Washington Nationals in 2005.

Since then I have collected over 300 Nats jerseys and over 200 bats and caps, cleats, baseballs, bases, photos, etc I finally put together 100 jerseys that I'm ready to part with to share with the world. Don't get too excited as that list of 100 is mostly relief pitchers and bench players and coaches and a few BPs.

It focuses my attention on beefing up my Bryce Harper collection and some other high-end Nats players and my collection of significant game used baseballs for the Nats.

I have closed my dealer website and concentrating more on the stadium stores and my sports art business, sports camps, and making the memorabilia side of things more fun to collect with my kids who are very passionate about it.

Yes, I'm an addict. :D

beaglegypsy003
03-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Do you happen to have a Tom Henderson Washington Bullets jersey?

allstarsplus
03-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Do you happen to have a Tom Henderson Washington Bullets jersey?

I don't. Sorry.

thesteelcurtain58
03-08-2014, 05:17 PM
This is probably too much.. All game used

jschmus
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Just came across your post on GU Universe. You mention you collect Generals items. I collect gu USFL helmets and I am in search of a Generals helmet. I had one that I purchased from the athletic trainer years ago, but I sold it to purchase other helmets I need thinking maybe the Generals would be easy to find. Would you happen to have one available or know of where to obtain one? Not sure if your interested, but I have a bunch of small items that were included in the purchase from the trainer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Schmus
Jjschmus@comcast.net

jschmus
04-07-2014, 03:49 PM
jschmus@comcast.com is the correct email address.