PDA

View Full Version : Satisfaction in game used collecting

cekirsch129
01-31-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm not really sure the point of this thread, just wanted to share some thoughts/feelings since getting into the game-used hobby.

I was a long time baseball card collector (as long time as a 24 year-old possibly can be :o ) and have recently gotten extremely burned out on it. I had so much fun collecting through my adolescent years, but lately it seems the hobby has went to complete garbage. I always loved prospecting, but nowadays the market is so over-saturated its ridiculous. I used to love the rarity of pulling a sweet refractor of a player I collected and it actually be worth something. Now there are 10 different variations of each card and 15 different 1/1 variations that cards hold their value like a sinking ship.

Anyway, I had recently pretty much quit collecting. I still would follow different sets and join in on discussions on the blowout message boards, but even that is brutal these days. The day of having a logical discussion about anything sports-card related is gone, and now its nothing more than trolls, scammers, and drama.

I've always loved the idea of adding game-used memorabilia to my St. Louis Cardinals autograph collection, but was always hesitant because of high prices and being over-cautious of fakes. I was also never one to try and solicit game-used items from players at games, spring training, etc. I recently made a thread about an Allen Craig game used bat I picked up at the WWU this year and I honestly think its one of my favorite items in a vast collection of Cardinals autograph memorabilia. I have acquired practically every relevant Cardinal's autograph from players of my generation in-person, and this bat tops a lot of these experiences. I think it's so cool to own something that a player actually used in a game.

I love being able to try and track down which specific game(s) the player used an item and scouring through pictures and video to try and match it up. To me its like being a CSI agent or a detective trying to solve a mystery, haha. Even though I haven't been able to match up the bat that I have, I have a feeling the thrill of finding a match would be way more exciting to me than pulling a big card from a box.

I love the discussion on these boards and how so many people are willing to help each other out. It seems like more of a mature hobby than sports cards these days, and I haven't seen the typical drama and fights on here. It really seems like a "community" of knowledgeable people looking out for one another instead of tearing each other down.

Sorry for the long, pointless thread, but I just wanted to share my thoughts/feelings on the hobby. I'm extremely excited for the season to get going again and pick up some more items for my collection. Hopefully I can put together a collection like many of the ones I've seen here... Cheers!

Sotystl
02-01-2014, 01:38 AM
I can't agree more. I was into cards until I was at Busch and was lucky enough to get a Lance Berkman cardinals gamer. There is something about holding the bat in your hands that they used in a game. Now unfortunately for my bank account I'm hooked. Welcome to the hobby :)

jmeekins33
02-01-2014, 02:15 AM
cekirsch129- I feel the same way as you do. I've been a big collector of Basketball trading cards for years and I'm really soured on it. Since about 2006 I've been transitioning to game used stuff as my budget allows. With

With cards today there are just too many brands, too many parallels, and too any low numbered chase card. Half the fun as a player collector is trying to buy all the cards of your favorite player and now that has been made impossible. Don't get me started on all the fake "game used" patches either.

If you are gonna get serious about game used jerseys and equipment all I can say is do your research and use info provided here. There are a lot of folks that knowingly or unknowingly sell fake game used stuff all the time. It's easy to get burned if you aren't careful.

CPuente57
02-01-2014, 03:45 PM
I too am a convert from card collecting. I've sold most of my card collection to fund my game used purchases and it's just amazing to be able to own actual full pieces of game worn stuff. I used to get so excited about tiny swatches on cards but that market soon became overproduced and also seeing the prices on Logoman/Tags etc cards made me think "for that price I could probably just get a whole jersey certified to a specific game instead of just a tiny Logoman swatch". I had collected for over 20 years, so I amassed a pretty decent collection and selling it off helped me acquire some amazing game used pieces (well to me anyway, I know I don't hold a candle to some of the people's amazing collections here on this board, lol!) that I never thought in a million years I'd be able to acquire. It's definitely a thrill but like everyone said, gotta do your homework and due diligence!

Neely8
02-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Congrats. on leaving the dark side! :D

packfan84
02-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Welcome to collecting gamers. I find it so much more satisfying than anything else I have collected. I started with autographs, but like the cards, this industry does not hold its value. These guys charge crazy prices at shows and then you can't even sell it for what they charge. I have an amazing Hank Aaron Steiner Certified 16x20 I had people offering $90 for and have been trying to sell a Peyton Manning 8x10 that I can't even get a buyer on.

My first pickup in game used stuff was a Hunter Pence Astros bat, after that, I was hooked. Yeah they use a lot of bats, but each one is unique in its own way and those will always be lower than the amount of stuff they sign over the course of their lifetime. It's awesome to have a piece of history.

flaco1801
02-02-2014, 06:17 PM
If you are disgusted with card collecting you will be just as disgusted with game used collecting....the only ones that have a smile at the end of the day are the dealers and the auction houses...its a cut throat "business" and thats a fact jack....read the new thread concerning Eli Manning and the Giants....and just keep reading.....

EricTheRed44
02-03-2014, 12:11 AM
If you are disgusted with card collecting you will be just as disgusted with game used collecting....the only ones that have a smile at the end of the day are the dealers and the auction houses...its a cut throat "business" and thats a fact jack....read the new thread concerning Eli Manning and the Giants....and just keep reading.....

I feel that MLB does a fairly good job of keeping things legit. NFL and other sports I can't speak for. Prices are a bit high... but nothings perfect.

The market for cards has been flooded since the late 80's or early 90's. I too started collecting cards. My dad had no idea how many cards I had at age 11 but when he noticed, he decided to open up a card shop and sell them lol. I was wheeling and dealing with men in their 40's and they would call me Mr. Beckett because I remembered all of the prices of the cards by heart (which would be nearly impossible now but in 1991 it was possible). I would work and get a box of cards for my troubles. Pretty fun times. I stopped collecting at age 16 and spent my money on cd's, going to movies and girls... I started collecting again a couple of years ago and saw an Eric Davis printing plate or bat card with an asking price of $150 bucks. I nearly bought it but then noticed an actual Eric Davis game used bat from a game at the same price... so then I was hooked.

I'm collecting 1990 Reds bats now. Makes me remember going to games when I was a kid with family, especially my grandmothers who are no longer with us and parents divorced in mid 90's, so a lot of my great memories are of going to games. I had a pretty great childhood and going to Reds games was a big part of that. One of my regrets is not playing baseball in college. I was a solid player but knew I wasnt going to make the big leagues so considered it a waste... wish I had played a few more years. Now I'm in my 30's and havent played baseball in years (aside from homerun derby).

I refuse to play softball... I respect that other people enjoy it but I played once and it just wasnt the same.

Anyway, go Reds!

Joe

Preston
02-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Disagree with this to a point - it's all in what you collect, the amount of research you do and a little luck. I collect Titans memorabilia and some stuff is easier to get than others. I'm lucky to have a hookup and have gotten to know a few players personally but I know some teams/players are TOUGH to collect.

Chess2899
02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm not really sure the point of this thread, just wanted to share some thoughts/feelings since getting into the game-used hobby.

I was a long time baseball card collector (as long time as a 24 year-old possibly can be :o ) and have recently gotten extremely burned out on it. I had so much fun collecting through my adolescent years, but lately it seems the hobby has went to complete garbage. I always loved prospecting, but nowadays the market is so over-saturated its ridiculous. I used to love the rarity of pulling a sweet refractor of a player I collected and it actually be worth something. Now there are 10 different variations of each card and 15 different 1/1 variations that cards hold their value like a sinking ship.

Anyway, I had recently pretty much quit collecting. I still would follow different sets and join in on discussions on the blowout message boards, but even that is brutal these days. The day of having a logical discussion about anything sports-card related is gone, and now its nothing more than trolls, scammers, and drama.

I've always loved the idea of adding game-used memorabilia to my St. Louis Cardinals autograph collection, but was always hesitant because of high prices and being over-cautious of fakes. I was also never one to try and solicit game-used items from players at games, spring training, etc. I recently made a thread about an Allen Craig game used bat I picked up at the WWU this year and I honestly think its one of my favorite items in a vast collection of Cardinals autograph memorabilia. I have acquired practically every relevant Cardinal's autograph from players of my generation in-person, and this bat tops a lot of these experiences. I think it's so cool to own something that a player actually used in a game.

I love being able to try and track down which specific game(s) the player used an item and scouring through pictures and video to try and match it up. To me its like being a CSI agent or a detective trying to solve a mystery, haha. Even though I haven't been able to match up the bat that I have, I have a feeling the thrill of finding a match would be way more exciting to me than pulling a big card from a box.

I love the discussion on these boards and how so many people are willing to help each other out. It seems like more of a mature hobby than sports cards these days, and I haven't seen the typical drama and fights on here. It really seems like a "community" of knowledgeable people looking out for one another instead of tearing each other down.

Sorry for the long, pointless thread, but I just wanted to share my thoughts/feelings on the hobby. I'm extremely excited for the season to get going again and pick up some more items for my collection. Hopefully I can put together a collection like many of the ones I've seen here... Cheers!

I am new to this forum but have collected for over 40 years. I was an avid baseball card collector until my lawsuit against Topps for lying about the total number of 1996 Topps Finest Gold Refractors and then lost interest, Luckily, I started collecting game used jerseys, bats, gloves, etc and had started with Greg Maddux and Ken Griffey Jr. which ends up as great choices.

I have over 70 Greg Maddux game used equipment items and about 30 Griffey game used items. Maddux has kiddingly accused me of stalking him from ball park to ball park and stealing his stuff. The last glove that I asked him to autograph was lost in Colorado according to him.

Anyway, game used stuff is the way to go and it is something I can leave to my son that will keep value. I grew up a Phillies fan and have alot of game used Phillies stuff. Even though the 93' Phils lost in the World Series, my son would never part with even the minor player uniforms. Memories will always trump value when it comes down to it.

Yes, I am still in the market for game used Maddux, Griffey, or Phillies stuff. My wife has expensive tastes and collects Babe Ruth. I can't compete with her.

AWA85
02-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Chess - would you mind shooting me an email? I have a question for you. AWA85@live.com

Chess2899
02-03-2014, 10:08 PM
sent you an email!

Joe aka chess

cekirsch129
02-03-2014, 10:36 PM
I am new to this forum but have collected for over 40 years. I was an avid baseball card collector until my lawsuit against Topps for lying about the total number of 1996 Topps Finest Gold Refractors and then lost interest, Luckily, I started collecting game used jerseys, bats, gloves, etc and had started with Greg Maddux and Ken Griffey Jr. which ends up as great choices.

I have over 70 Greg Maddux game used equipment items and about 30 Griffey game used items. Maddux has kiddingly accused me of stalking him from ball park to ball park and stealing his stuff. The last glove that I asked him to autograph was lost in Colorado according to him.

Anyway, game used stuff is the way to go and it is something I can leave to my son that will keep value. I grew up a Phillies fan and have alot of game used Phillies stuff. Even though the 93' Phils lost in the World Series, my son would never part with even the minor player uniforms. Memories will always trump value when it comes down to it.

Yes, I am still in the market for game used Maddux, Griffey, or Phillies stuff. My wife has expensive tastes and collects Babe Ruth. I can't compete with her.

Every aspect of that comment was awesome, haha. I'd love to see pics of your collection... I couldn't imagine having that much Griffey and Maddux gear. You are literally sitting on a fortune.

What happened with the Topps lawsuit? I've always heard rumors of people wanting to sue them, but usually it was nothing more than talk.

Nnunnari
02-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Hey Chess- can you shoot me an email?

cfern023
02-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Every aspect of that comment was awesome, haha. I'd love to see pics of your collection... I couldn't imagine having that much Griffey and Maddux gear. You are literally sitting on a fortune.

What happened with the Topps lawsuit? I've always heard rumors of people wanting to sue them, but usually it was nothing more than talk.

Be settle out of court, in exchange for lump sum- he agreed to never to speak about the terms. He's sworn to silence or he can be sued again.

The other guy who sued got 177K I believe.

cekirsch129
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Be settle out of court, in exchange for lump sum- he agreed to never to speak about the terms. He's sworn to silence or he can be sued again.

The other guy who sued got 177K I believe.

Nice!

Chess2899
02-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice!

Believe me, part of me did not want to settle. A week later, ESPN contacted me to give my story and I would have had a great opportunity to create havoc among the card industry. So, to a large extent, I may have made the wrong decision. The card companies responded by numbering their inserts.

I did however kick the addiction of collecting cards. Now it is just game used equipent.

Unfortunately, I still have thousands and thousands of cards from 1986 until 1998 including every Maddux and Griffey card including error cards.

Joe