PDA

View Full Version : Man Cave Make Over

xpress34
01-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Slowly swapping out (upgrading) all of my Walmart 'Lockers' ($25.00 - 5 Shelf Black Bookcases) for IKEA 'Lockers' ($150.00 'Hemnes' - Espresso Bookcases).

Taller, Wider, Deeper - and made of REAL Wood, not particle board. Look much nicer as well.

Also selling off my Oakley Cases and buying IKEA 'Detolf' Cases (only $69 ea!) as they are easier to rearrange and look nice with the Hemnes Bookcases.

I also got one 'Pax' corner closet unit (Musial Jersey) to tie it together - can't fit a second one in the other corner... :(

Just wanted to share if anyone needs ideas.

** On the Hemnes cases, I mounted the 'fixed' shelf lower so the opening could accomodate my bat/ball cases from Michaels. **

ctempleton
01-22-2014, 06:31 PM
awesome setup. I just did the same thing on shelving. you always think you have enough room until a few months later when you find new items lol

I just had a shadow box coffee table custom built, cant wait to see how it looks in the man cave with some of my game used items in it

amgmap
01-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Very nice! I did the same thing and picked up one of the Detolf cases to display some of my Zimmerman items in. I still have to add the display light to the top, but I really like how it turned out.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/amgmap/IMG_3345_zpsf5007ee1.jpg

esigs
01-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Slowly swapping out (upgrading) all of my Walmart 'Lockers' ($25.00 - 5 Shelf Black Bookcases) for IKEA 'Lockers' ($150.00 'Hemnes' - Espresso Bookcases).

Taller, Wider, Deeper - and made of REAL Wood, not particle board. Look much nicer as well.

Also selling off my Oakley Cases and buying IKEA 'Detolf' Cases (only $69 ea!) as they are easier to rearrange and look nice with the Hemnes Bookcases.

I also got one 'Pax' corner closet unit (Musial Jersey) to tie it together - can't fit a second one in the other corner... :(

Just wanted to share if anyone needs ideas.

** On the Hemnes cases, I mounted the 'fixed' shelf lower so the opening could accomodate my bat/ball cases from Michaels. **

Thanks for sharing. You can clearly see the difference on the shelves' quality, and they look really nice!

Is the 1902 Cleveland hat you have game used and from the same player as the jersey/pants? If so, where did you get it from? Was it directly from Kris? I have the jersey, pants & belt, but have not been able to find the hat.

tom1315
01-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Smitty, very nicely done! Love the pairings and the mannequins…really sharp look and shows well.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

abstractheory
01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Never nice! Can't wait until my basement is finished so I can move my stuff into it.

xpress34
01-23-2014, 01:07 AM
awesome setup. I just did the same thing on shelving. you always think you have enough room until a few months later when you find new items lol

I just had a shadow box coffee table custom built, cant wait to see how it looks in the man cave with some of my game used items in it

Thanks! Let's see that table when it's done!

xpress34
01-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Very nice! I did the same thing and picked up one of the Detolf cases to display some of my Zimmerman items in. I still have to add the display light to the top, but I really like how it turned out.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/amgmap/IMG_3345_zpsf5007ee1.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, the Detolf are inexpensive, quick and easy to assemble and they look really nice.

Also, the shelf spacing is awesome for helmets or larger items!

xpress34
01-23-2014, 01:11 AM
Thanks for sharing. You can clearly see the difference on the shelves' quality, and they look really nice!

Is the 1902 Cleveland hat you have game used and from the same player as the jersey/pants? If so, where did you get it from? Was it directly from Kris? I have the jersey, pants & belt, but have not been able to find the hat.

Thanks!

Yes the 1902 uni is from Kris - it's Giambi's. The hat is an unused 'extra'. I told Kris for the cost of the uni, I wanted a hat as well and he dug one up, so it came with everything else. Need to buy some black baseball socks to finish it out.

xpress34
01-23-2014, 01:13 AM
Smitty, very nicely done! Love the pairings and the mannequins…really sharp look and shows well.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

Tom -

Thanks! I like groupings (pairings) and usually go for Jersey, Hat, Bat and Ball. I have a few complete unis (Pants, Belt, etc) as well as some Helmets.

onlyalbert
01-23-2014, 01:14 AM
Thanks! Yeah, the Detolf are inexpensive, quick and easy to assemble and they look really nice.

Also, the shelf spacing is awesome for helmets or larger items!

Smitty, can you email me? I have questions about your "lockers". Wanting to do the same thing for my Matt Adams stuff. Looking for dimensions of what you had and what you have now. And where to get that Detolf. Thanks.

Lakeside62401 at Hotmail dot com

xpress34
01-23-2014, 01:16 AM
Never nice! Can't wait until my basement is finished so I can move my stuff into it.

'Never' Nice? ;) I'm guessing (hoping) that was supposed to be 'Very' nice... :p

That said, my basement is unfinished. I just laid a cheap (FREE) piece of carpet (it's blue, would prefer Green - since it's baseball) down and lined the room with cases.

Whenever I do decide to finish the basement, it's going to be an undertaking!

abstractheory
01-23-2014, 01:37 AM
Yes...Very nice, indeed :o

xpress34
01-23-2014, 02:37 AM
Yes...Very nice, indeed :o

Hahahaha.... :D

xpress34
01-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Smitty, can you email me? I have questions about your "lockers". Wanting to do the same thing for my Matt Adams stuff. Looking for dimensions of what you had and what you have now. And where to get that Detolf. Thanks.

Lakeside62401 at Hotmail dot com

I'll measure them and post that info HERE in case anyone else wants to know as well.

The 'Detolf' is an IKEA case. If you don't have an IKEA near you, you can probably order it on-line to be shipped to you.

I'll eMail to see what other questions you have.

xpress34
01-23-2014, 02:58 AM
IKEA Web Site (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/?cid=us|ps|branded|MST_BR_Core|go|IKEA)

Detolf Info (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/)
64.5" H x 16.75" W x 14.5" D

Hemnes Info (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80245640/)
77" H x 35" W x 14.5" D

Walmart 5 Shelf Bookcase (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ameriwood-5-Shelf-Bookcase-Multiple-Finishes/17480012)
71.5" H x 29.5" H x 11.5" D

abstractheory
01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
'Never' Nice? ;) I'm guessing (hoping) that was supposed to be 'Very' nice... :p

That said, my basement is unfinished. I just laid a cheap (FREE) piece of carpet (it's blue, would prefer Green - since it's baseball) down and lined the room with cases.

Whenever I do decide to finish the basement, it's going to be an undertaking!

I'm about done with the framing and electric, but debated whether or not to pull a permit. I decided it might be a smart idea, so I had to stop and now I'm waiting for the inspector so I can pick it up again.

It really is quite an undertaking if you are doing it yourself, for sure. Your's looks really nice though, so no need to rush a big and expensive project when you can spend the money on more GU stuff!

mook03005
01-23-2014, 11:43 AM
smitty

I like what that setup a lot, has museum like quality to it. With 30 bookshelves from walmart I think I might try and mimic it!

xpress34
01-23-2014, 12:05 PM
smitty

I like what that setup a lot, has museum like quality to it. With 30 bookshelves from walmart I think I might try and mimic it!

Mook -

Thanks! I'd love to see pics when you're done!

- Smitty

xpress34
01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Quick note - if anyone is interested - about the Bat/Ball cases in the photos.

They came from Michaels - $59.99, but almost always 40% off, so really $35.99, but I always wait to buy until they have a 25% off all shadow boxes (including sale items) which brings them down to like $26.99 each.

But, be warned their are TWO different types - one that has the bat rack pieces permanently attached so you can't reconfigure and one that has removable bat rack pieces so you can go Vertical or Horizontal.

Easiest way to tell is the tag on the back. In the coding there is a four digit code - 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013.

2010 and 2011 are FIXED bat rack that can not be reconfigured.

2012 and 2013 are interchangeable bat racks that can be set to Vertical or Horizontal.

Hope this information is to use for some of you!

- Smitty

2000mvpfan
01-23-2014, 05:06 PM
That Detolf case is the nicest out there,and easy to illuminate...been using them for years..
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/2000mvpfan_giambi/detolf.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/2000mvpfan_giambi/media/detolf.jpg.html)

Joe

DJaeger22
01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Those Ikea clear cases look great. I wish there was one closer to me. Looks like I'll need to make a trip out to one soon!

Klattsy
01-25-2014, 02:23 AM
I even use the Detolf down here in Australia!

joelsabi
01-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Smitty,

I like what you are doing with the cases with larger dimensions. The spacing of the items looks better and the items look more framed. I like how the bats are now inside the bookcases instead of on the floor.

What did you use for the corner shelf? I cannot tell if it's a makeshift corner shelf or a store bought bookshelf. I would have tried connecting the edges of the two end bookshelves at the corner wall but not sure if it would look good or if the area would look too cramped. Let me know if you had tried that.

Great job. Brief us upon your completion

Joel