PDA

View Full Version : Willie Mays fan club question

carbonrosa
01-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Has any one here send an item to the Willie Mays fan club in Cooperstown and receive it back with an autograph? I sent a ticket stub a little over 3 months ago with all the proper packaging (extra envelopes with postage & return address) and haven't received it back. I talked to the person in charge on the phone and she said once they receive it in Cooperstown, they stamp on his home address and that's it. No records kept at all. She also told me they get thousands of fan mail so hopefully my ticket will get looked at by Mays, get signed and returned sometime this year. I sent a 9/14/12 yankees vs rays ticket stub with Jeter on the front and a letter explaining way it would mean the world to me for him to sign it. This was also the game Jeter passed mays with 3284 hits. It would really suck if I never get it back since finding another one with Jeter on the ticket will be extremely hard.
-Devin

cards-bats
01-17-2014, 03:33 PM
If you show up at his house in Atherton, CA at Halloween, he'll sign for you. :D

Seriously. He provides a MLB if you don't have anything for him to sign too.

carbonrosa
01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
That's actually pretty cool that he does that since promoters charge a fortune when he does do a signing. Sadly though I live in queens ny so that trip won't happen.
-Devin

Bondsgloves
01-17-2014, 05:05 PM
He doesn't sign at his house on Halloween. He gives out official MLB baseballs unsigned and Candy Bars. I have taken my kids a couple times. He refuses to sign the baseball he gives out.

emann
01-18-2014, 01:54 PM
I sent a ticket stub a little over 3 months ago with all the proper packaging (extra envelopes with postage & return address) and haven't received it back. I talked to the person in charge on the phone and she said once they receive it in Cooperstown, they stamp on his home address and that's it. No records kept at all. She also told me they get thousands of fan mail so hopefully my ticket will get looked at by Mays, get signed and returned sometime this year.

They didn't charge you for this service did they?

Dewey2007
01-18-2014, 02:12 PM
I did a mail out of baseball/football/basketball cards to get signed a number of years back. I was getting signed cards back 1-2 years later and it was always funny to see one of my returned envelopes in the mail with signed cards in them when I had all but given up on getting anymore returned.

Good luck with getting your ticket stub back signed or unsigned but give it some time since 3 months doesn't seem like that long given the player in question. I'm sure Mays gets lots of requests and I'm sure he doesn't respond to all of them right away.

flaco1801
01-31-2014, 11:27 PM
he is miserable...he dont sign unless he gets paid....

HunterFikes
02-11-2014, 08:05 PM
I met Mr. Mays at Rickwood Field a couple years back for an ESPN Classic Negro League reenactment. He didn't sign for most. However, me and a friend simply ask him how he was doing and offered to help him up the stairs to the press box not even mentioning an autograph. He didn't offer to sign then but sent someone out of the press box a few minutes later to see if we wanted his autograph. It will always be one of my favorite autographs.