PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Cardinals WWU thread

onlyalbert
01-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Show us your pickups and share your stories here. Here is my start. Colten isn't quite big enough yet but the smaller one may get used. I hope to find some cool stuff at the team store. Never seem to make it to the Cards Care store in time for anything good and can't be in two places at once. Should be some playoff/WS bats in the rack I hope. Gotta find that gem!

coophallmonitor
01-17-2014, 07:46 AM
I'd say that's a nice way to start off for sure! See you there....

Sotystl
01-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Ah, wont be going this year.

Ill be jealous of the pickups im sure.

GL with your search fellas. Cant wait for you to share.

MercyMe78
01-17-2014, 01:22 PM
If anyone can help me look for a game used descalso bat..

onlyalbert
01-17-2014, 09:52 PM
If anyone can help me look for a game used descalso bat..

Drop me an email at Lakeside62401 at hotmail dot com and let me know exactly what you are looking for. I'll see what they have tomorrow if I have time.

jlengeli
01-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Snagged a GU hat from the Cards Care store, but I don't know the year. It's numbered "BP 40" on the bill, size 7 1/4, and has an inscription above the elastic on the interior: "G.R.M" on one side and "Annabelle" on the other. It's also got "40" written on the interior. I can't post photos from my phone, but any early thoughts?

hdavid_27
01-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Not a guess but I can tell you that hat is Pj Walters. Anabelle is his daughter that passed away after being born premature. That happened in 2010 so that's probably from that year.

jscott0688
01-18-2014, 10:18 PM
The Cardinals Care Team Store was stocked with a ton of goodies today. Everything pictured except for the photos came from the team store:

From left to right starting at the top:
Rafael Furcal signed gold stitched cap (MLB Authenticated)
Jon Jay dirt covered 1982 TBTC pants (MLB Authenticated)
Ty Wigginton game worn 1913 TBTC cap
Allen Craig dirt covered 1982 TBTC pants (MLB Authenticated)
Aaron Miles game worn batting helmet
Juan Encarnacion game worn TBTC St. Louis stars cap (from 2006)
Team issued TBTC St. Louis Stars cap from 2011
Matt Carpenter signed game used 2011 home jersey (photomatched to MLB Debut)
Matt Morris game worn 2005 road jersey with Final Season Busch Stadium patch (photomatched)
Juan Encarnacion TBTC St. Louis Stars jersey from 2006
Scott Spiezio team issued 2008 St. Patricks Day jersey (he was released a few weeks prior to this game)
Matt Carpenter signed game worn 2012 spring training jersey (photomatched)
Yadier Molina game used 1951 TBTC pants (MLB Authenticated)
J.C. Romero signed game used gold jersey (MLB Authenticated)
Matt Pagnozzi 1947 TBTC Civil Rights game pants
Octavio Dotel game used 2011 World Series jersey (MLB Authenticated and photomatched to game 3)
Mark Hamilton home jersey with Joplin patch
Larry Walker St. Patricks Day jersey with 2005 set tag (No authentication but everything seems to check out)

helf35
01-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Wow nice pick ups. Were they reasonable? How were the silent auctions

Garistotle
01-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Wow jscott, that's a serious haul! Here's my pickup from the Warm Up.....

jlengeli
01-19-2014, 06:56 PM
That's INCREDIBLE. I was at the front of the line and went for a Piscotty ticket. Needless to say, mistakes were made.

jscott, please contact me about the MCarp jerseys, if you'd like. I'm sure you've seen he's my favorite player. :) once again, congrats on owning the morning!

jlengeli -at- gmail -dot- com

jlengeli
01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
H_david, thanks for the info about the hat. I'm sorry to hear the story behind it was a sad one. :\ I appreciate the info, though!

flota89
01-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Here is my main 2014 WWU purchase ...

2013 David Freese Regular/Postseason Set 1 Alternate Jersey

The jersey shows moderate use with light tar staining on the shoulders, snags, and wash wear.

vince182
01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
how were they on the prices?

flota89
01-20-2014, 12:08 AM
how were they on the prices?

Cardinals Authentics had regular season bats priced the same as usual, with postseason bats going for up to $1000 (Molina $750, Beltran $1000, Holliday $600-50). Postseason/WS jerseys went up to around $600. Regular season jerseys went up to I believe $500. Not a ton of big names, but I saw a Matt Carpenter, Adams, Craig, Jay, Wong, and more. There may have been more jerseys as well that I missed.

onlyalbert
01-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Steal of the show was a Molina WS road with tar on the shoulder in the rack with the rest for 500. Crazy!

And in the silent auction was a Molina bat black LS I13L from 04/05 with 41 on the knob uncracked and signed. Went for 1200 in a bid off. It was beyond sweet.

Sotystl
01-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Cardinals Authentics had regular season bats priced the same as usual, with postseason bats going for up to $1000 (Molina $750, Beltran $1000, Holliday $600-50). Postseason/WS jerseys went up to around $600. Regular season jerseys went up to I believe $500. Not a ton of big names, but I saw a Matt Carpenter, Adams, Craig, Jay, Wong, and more. There may have been more jerseys as well that I missed.

Really bummed i couldnt go. Would have loved to pick up a Craig Jersey.

Next year hopefully!

jscott0688
01-20-2014, 04:16 PM
The team store prices were insane as usual:

Batting helmets: $10
Home and Road Jerseys: $60
Home and Road Jerseys signed: $75
2011 World Series jerseys: $100
2012 jerseys with patches (signed): $115
2012 jerseys with patches (unsigned): $100
2005 jerseys with Final Season Bush Stadium patch: $50
Home jersey with Joplin Patch: $50
St. Patricks Day jerseys: $50
TBTC jerseys: $50
TBTC pants: $10
Bats: $30
Autographed bats: $75
Game used caps: $30
Game used caps (signed): $40

Today all jerseys were marked down to $25 without patches and $50 with patches.

brianborsch
01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Dang! Would have loved to have gotten the Wong jersey!

jbean023
01-20-2014, 11:37 PM
The team store prices were insane as usual:

Batting helmets: $10
Home and Road Jerseys: $60
Home and Road Jerseys signed: $75
2011 World Series jerseys: $100
2012 jerseys with patches (signed): $115
2012 jerseys with patches (unsigned): $100
2005 jerseys with Final Season Bush Stadium patch: $50
Home jersey with Joplin Patch: $50
St. Patricks Day jerseys: $50
TBTC jerseys: $50
TBTC pants: $10
Bats: $30
Autographed bats: $75
Game used caps: $30
Game used caps (signed): $40

Today all jerseys were marked down to $25 without patches and $50 with patches.

Are you missing some zeros? This is insane, what kind of players could you get at these prices? Im not a cardinals fan but I collect different teams/players and would love to have a few jerseys from past seasons.

jscott0688
01-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Are you missing some zeros? This is insane, what kind of players could you get at these prices? Im not a cardinals fan but I collect different teams/players and would love to have a few jerseys from past seasons.

Cardinals Care is clueless when it comes to the value of items. It is definitely a place to find hidden gems, but the quality of items in the store has really varied in recent years. You aren't going to find a Molina jersey, but some of the players that I saw this year were Matt Carpenter, Matt Morris, Larry Walker, and Mark McGwire (from his stint as a coach). Traditionally the store has also been a good place to get the top prospects on the team. I think one year they sold the Arizona Fall League jerseys of Albert Pujols. A couple of the gems I have found in the store include Allen Craig's first spring training jersey and the #90 jersey that David Freese is wearing in all of his rookie cards.

onlyalbert
01-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Not much action on this thread so I thought I'd kick start it by showing what I got signed this past weekend. A few Adams bats that I already had. He really liked to see the bat he had his first 2 HR game with. I picked up a few more this weekend and am hoping one is his 2 HR game against the Reds. You may have heard of the next 2 bats, but the Royer is a local guy. He was number 5 long before it became popular. Molina 2013 WBC Championship game jersey. Yadi is a super nice guy and gave a great signature. Taveras' first Cards BP jersey and road jersey. He was great too, but you can tell his English is not strong. Wong's first 2 Cards jerseys. ST 2012 photomatched to a walkoff hit and 2012 AFL. Will post some more later. I did get one or two Adams things and will put them in the other thread. Fun weekend with an average turnout I thought. The Authentics store was like black Friday when the bat rack and jersey rack were opened! Jeff Scott and I teamed up or we would not have had near the success. It was great to run into a few GUU members also! I think we need to hold a summit next year some evening in the lounge. Takers?

onlyalbert
01-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Cardinals Care is clueless when it comes to the value of items. It is definitely a place to find hidden gems, but the quality of items in the store has really varied in recent years. You aren't going to find a Molina jersey, but some of the players that I saw this year were Matt Carpenter, Matt Morris, Larry Walker, and Mark McGwire (from his stint as a coach). Traditionally the store has also been a good place to get the top prospects on the team. I think one year they sold the Arizona Fall League jerseys of Albert Pujols. A couple of the gems I have found in the store include Allen Craig's first spring training jersey and the #90 jersey that David Freese is wearing in all of his rookie cards.

You mean this one? I paid a littler more than the $50 it originally sold for!

onlyalbert
01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Here is one of my favorite items. I picked this bat up at the team store in early Sept. I got it because I remember him using it around the time of the ASG. Turns out he didn't use it in the game but shortly afterwards and I have the games on MLBtv. So I bring the bat up to Matt, and his eyes almost popped out. He says, "WHERE did you get this bat?!" At fist I thought UH OH, but then he started smiling. I said I got it from the team store in early Sept, and I've never seen another one. Told him that when he was on the cover of Cards Gameday this was the bat he was using. He says, "The reason you have never seen another one is because there aren't any. This bat was made special for me by the owner of Marucci as a gift for making the All Star team. There was only one made, and I started using it afterwards for a few games and really liked it. But it broke, and I never saw it again. I always wondered what happened to it." Looking back, I probably should've offered him a trade of some sort maybe? There was some talk in the line that he wasn't going to do inscriptions because of his Mounted Memories contract, but he was happy to add my request, and I'm glad he did. Really sets this bat off nicely I think. There is another member on here that I promised this bat to.......but.....now......?????

jscott0688
01-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Not much action on this thread so I thought I'd kick start it by showing what I got signed this past weekend. A few Adams bats that I already had. He really liked to see the bat he had his first 2 HR game with. I picked up a few more this weekend and am hoping one is his 2 HR game against the Reds. You may have heard of the next 2 bats, but the Royer is a local guy. He was number 5 long before it became popular. Molina 2013 WBC Championship game jersey. Yadi is a super nice guy and gave a great signature. Taveras' first Cards BP jersey and road jersey. He was great too, but you can tell his English is not strong. Wong's first 2 Cards jerseys. ST 2012 photomatched to a walkoff hit and 2012 AFL. Will post some more later. I did get one or two Adams things and will put them in the other thread. Fun weekend with an average turnout I thought. The Authentics store was like black Friday when the bat rack and jersey rack were opened! Jeff Scott and I teamed up or we would not have had near the success. It was great to run into a few GUU members also! I think we need to hold a summit next year some evening in the lounge. Takers?

Nice! Where did you get the AFL jersey?

jscott0688
01-21-2014, 08:11 PM

We should definitely hold a summit in the lounge next year!

onlyalbert
01-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Nice! Where did you get the AFL jersey?

It never left STL. I am the third owner. The road is owned by a forum member and featured on several rookie cards.

jscott0688
01-21-2014, 08:18 PM
It never left STL. I am the third owner. The road is owned by a forum member and featured on several rookie cards.

Sorry, I meant the Wong AFL jersey!

onlyalbert
01-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Sorry, I meant the Wong AFL jersey!

Oh, it was on MLB auctions I think in Dec of 2012.

flota89
01-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Love seeing what everyone found! Keep it going!

jscott0688
01-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Got my Matt Holliday world series helmet and Carlos Martinez futures game cap signed.

onlyalbert
01-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Here's one of my other favorites. Shelby is probably one of the nicest guys there is, and his penmanship ranks right up there with Beltran for sure. Picked it up this Summer, and the bat is a late May stamp. I have it matched to the 8-19-13 game for sure. Shelby started the year out 0-20 with like 15 Ks. Then on 6-6-13 he got his first hit of the year, a single, and then hit the first HR of his career. I asked him if he kept the bat, and he said no, but I probably should have. He said this was the type of bat he used most of the season so this could be it. Can't say it's 100% but the dates and use sure make sense, and the #40 on the knob lines up pretty well. Either way, still a great bat with a great signature.

jlengeli
01-21-2014, 09:51 PM
As usual, amazing stuff guys. I love seeing all of it. Here are two of my favorites, both pretty exciting for me. Number one, naturally, is Matt Carpenter's elusive 200th hit of the season, finally arriving in game 1 of the NLDS.

The other is a ball pitched by Carlos Martinez in his first MLB start...which I actually got him to inscribe. He didn't look to be doing many inscriptions (I didn't see any), so I'm pretty excited about it. :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mMhrouO8wt8/Ut8y2LIk7SI/AAAAAAAAA4w/zGnbymQuKuc/s512/MCarp%2520200.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oi0twViH-hA/Ut8y78NM17I/AAAAAAAAA44/Hr02agZ6ThY/s512/CarMar%25201st%2520start.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DUwRb3PeDr0/Ut8y1HbfFGI/AAAAAAAAA4o/KqWpDF_zCEg/s414/CarMar%25201st%2520start%25202.png

flota89
01-21-2014, 10:30 PM
As usual, amazing stuff guys. I love seeing all of it. Here are two of my favorites, both pretty exciting for me. Number one, naturally, is Matt Carpenter's elusive 200th hit of the season, finally arriving in game 1 of the NLDS.

The other is a ball pitched by Carlos Martinez in his first MLB start...which I actually got him to inscribe. He didn't look to be doing many inscriptions (I didn't see any), so I'm pretty excited about it. :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mMhrouO8wt8/Ut8y2LIk7SI/AAAAAAAAA4w/zGnbymQuKuc/s512/MCarp%2520200.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oi0twViH-hA/Ut8y78NM17I/AAAAAAAAA44/Hr02agZ6ThY/s512/CarMar%25201st%2520start.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DUwRb3PeDr0/Ut8y1HbfFGI/AAAAAAAAA4o/KqWpDF_zCEg/s414/CarMar%25201st%2520start%25202.png
I'm glad the 200 hit ball found a nice home. The signature looks great!

kwitzel
01-21-2014, 10:56 PM
You mean this one? I paid a littler more than the $50 it originally sold for!

OnlyAlbert,

WOW!!!!! That is an amazing jersey.... You have some amazing Albert Pujols game used items.

coophallmonitor
01-21-2014, 11:17 PM

Great pick ups Jason! I mainly just focused on the autograph lines this year and didn't pick up anything major at the authentics booth this time (though I did have a couple of nice additions to my collection through other means! ;) ) I will post some pics of the signatures I got on some of my gamers when I get back in town.

Count me in on a group summit next year for sure!

onlyalbert
01-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Picked up Siegrist and Martinez 2013 ST jerseys. These would be their first ST numbers issued. Not sure what happened on the dual signature on the Martinez....communication issues I'm sure. I don't think he actually wore this one as I remember he had visa problems and didn't make it to ST. Unless it was worn in extended ST. Another funny thing I noticed on some of the jerseys I picked up. There are ink pen marks on some like when they were signed someone left a pen laying on the jersey. Found it on 3 different ones and same ink.

flota89
01-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Nice jerseys!

I think I've been able to photomatch my Freese jersey to both a September 7th home run and an NLCS game against the Dodgers. Both the 2 and the 3 on the front of the jersey have been sewn on crooked. The top of the two along with the bottom of the 3 lead me to believe I have a match. In addition, I believe players were only issued two alternate jerseys during the 2013 season/postseason along with a different jersey for a "Jersey off the Back" game in June as well as WS game 3.

STLCardinalscollector
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM

Hey I was looking at pictures from the WWU on STLpost and saw a picture of M Adams signing a couple of bats, might be yours? Anyway Great looking bats.

David

onlyalbert
01-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Hey I was looking at pictures from the WWU on STLpost and saw a picture of M Adams signing a couple of bats, might be yours? Anyway Great looking bats.

David

Hahah, yeah someone showed me that. Yes, my hand and bats. The one I am handing to him is the bat he used in his first 2HR game. He really liked seeing that one. Guess I have to get rid of all of his #53 stuff now.....next year he is taking #32. Any takers? ;)

onlyalbert
01-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Here's my Adams haul for the weekend. Both jerseys are issued and show no wear. The alternate is a Set 3, and there was one other one on the rack. I also know Matt kept the gamer. Don't know if that means MLB made 3 sets total for each player. The top bat is WS gm 4, but I know it was also used in other games. Will post some matches later. The bottom bat is a 2012 true rookie bat.

Sotystl
01-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Here's my Adams haul for the weekend. Both jerseys are issued and show no wear. The alternate is a Set 3, and there was one other one on the rack. I also know Matt kept the gamer. Don't know if that means MLB made 3 sets total for each player. The top bat is WS gm 4, but I know it was also used in other games. Will post some matches later. The bottom bat is a 2012 true rookie bat.

Great Haul. Love seeing your Adams stuff.

coophallmonitor
01-24-2014, 07:30 PM

Great pick ups! I especially like the rookie gamer...

MLB~NUT
01-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Hahah, yeah someone showed me that. Yes, my hand and bats. The one I am handing to him is the bat he used in his first 2HR game. He really liked seeing that one. Guess I have to get rid of all of his #53 stuff now.....next year he is taking #32. Any takers? ;)

I'll take the Creme Alternate...;)

MLB~NUT
01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Wish I could of made it this yr!:(

onlyalbert
01-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Here are the two Wong pickups. The jersey is his reg season with the team added patch. It shows some wear on the front with a few snags. The bat has an early Aug build date and based on the #4 and #16 on the knob was brought with him when he was called up so would be one of his first bats used. Will try to match it later. Anybody else got anything to add to this thread?

stlbats
01-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Here is my 2013 Yadier Molina bat I picked up at the Winter Warm Up. Its MLB Authenticated to being broken during NLCS Game 3, but has a ton of use on it.

stlbats@bellsouth.net

vince182
01-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Here is my 2013 Yadier Molina bat I picked up at the Winter Warm Up. Its MLB Authenticated to being broken during NLCS Game 3, but has a ton of use on it.

stlbats@bellsouth.net

Sweet pick up!! I want a yadi bat in my collection..... How much were they charging for his?

MLB~NUT
01-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Sweet pick up!! I want a yadi bat in my collection..... How much were they charging for his?

$1000.00 :eek:

onlyalbert
01-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Here's an update on the Wong bat. It is not authenticated to any particular game so I started looking at games starting from the WS and going backward. I can say that this bat was used for all 3 of Kolten's NLCS ABs for sure. Unfortunately, he didn't get a hit with it. In looking at his two NLDS ABs he was using a tan barrel/maroon handle (reverse of this bat) for those, and then used that same bat for his only WS appearance and hit. I'm guessing he still has that bat, and if he didn't keep it, it may show up in the team store next year if he breaks it in ST.

HawaiiSportsNut
01-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Here's an update on the Wong bat. It is not authenticated to any particular game so I started looking at games starting from the WS and going backward. I can say that this bat was used for all 3 of Kolten's NLCS ABs for sure. Unfortunately, he didn't get a hit with it. In looking at his two NLDS ABs he was using a tan barrel/maroon handle (reverse of this bat) for those, and then used that same bat for his only WS appearance and hit. I'm guessing he still has that bat, and if he didn't keep it, it may show up in the team store next year if he breaks it in ST.

Great match on the Wong bat.. I hope to add a Kolten Wong jersey to my collection one day.

coophallmonitor
01-29-2014, 08:37 PM

Nice match. Spot on!