PDA

View Full Version : Ethical question about jerseys with coa's

amex46
12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
lets say fro example you buy a jersey from a major auction house and the jersey cames with a coa from gfc,mears, etc and after you got the jersey in your hand you still were not 100% sure it was game worn and wanted to relist it on ebay or another site, how would you list such an item and how much info are you really morally obilgated to disclose besides that it was authenticated by the auction house.

stlbats
12-08-2006, 09:57 PM
I believe if you purchase a jersey from an auction house and then you get it and find that it is not authentic game used, you should contact the auction house for a refund. Of course you need to do your homework and tell them why the jersey is not game used. As stated many times here before, COAs are sometimes worthless no matter who wrote them. Maybe you can post some pics and info on the board and let some other people here help you out on authenticity. As far as your question regarding reselling it, if it has a letter, it has a letter but I would not want to mislead someone if you know for a fact it is not what the letter says it is.

Thanks
Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

Eric
12-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Jason-

In the perfect world, I'd say you were right, but in the world we live in take one look at the auction rules. I happened to look at the Historic Auctions and American Memorabilia catalogs today which say in bold letters "All sales are final."

I think it becomes very difficult to get your money back after the fact these days.

Eric

amex46
12-08-2006, 10:32 PM
all very good points. i think that if you can prove without a doubt a jersey is not game worn i would like to think an auction house would work with you to refund your money if not i am sure you can take legal action. as for the ethical issue i raised i think it is something that more and more ppl are dealing with in this hobby after getting an item from an auction house. i personally have alot of doubts when it comes to authenticy of items i get from auction houses that is why i almsot never buy from them unless it is something i can 100% research to be authentic and if it is something that i collect. buy more and more ppl i see get items from these houses and go to resell them bc they are t set within themselves it is 100% game worn. i

bat_master
12-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

I don't mean to jump the gun or hijack this thread, but one thing that occurred to me is that with the number of knowledgeable members we have on this board as well as having many differing opinions of the various auction houses as to the good and the bad on both the houses themselves as well as the items presented...

Has Game Used Universe ever thought about forming a new auction house? It just seems that we could continue the good thing we have going here by taking all of the knowledge we have collectively as a group and use it for auction authentication. That way, items could be consigned directly to GUU and the items could be looked over and bid on by the members. No worries that way about an item staying in the auction even with several question. Also no worries about questions going unanswered.

Sure, the items wouldn't have any fancy LOAs, but as I've heard before...an LOA doesn't make a bad item good just as lack of an LOA doesn't make a good item bad.

Just my two cents. If anyone else wants to chime in please do so. As to the original question, my opinion is that if the item is definitely not used it should go back to the auction house...good luck with the "all sales final" stipulation in the rules.

Thanks for the read