PDA

View Full Version : Cubs introduce new mascot

JDubbs73
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Thoughts from Cubs fans?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/10288652/chicago-cubs-introduce-first-official-mascot-modern-history

PAC
01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Looks like a really bad bootleg version of Kit from Disney's "Talespin"

http://www.trbimg.com/img-52d45b8e/turbine/chi-chicago-cubs-mascot-clark-20140113-001
http://www.toonster.ru/images/kit.jpg

Roady
01-14-2014, 03:39 PM
That's just pitiful.

coxfan
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
About 4 years ago the Charlotte Knights (AAA) had a toy bear that was numbered and signed by Ernie Banks. They had trouble selling it so they gave it to me free (for my grandkids) when I made a big purchase from them. So I guess the idea of a mascot's not totally new with the Cubs, in some form.

Decades ago the Braves had Chief Noc-A-Homa, who would do a war dance after each Braves' HR. I guess modern sensitivities ended that one. Anything that makes the park kid-friendly seems fine to me.

sox83cubs84
01-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Shouldn't the Cubs worry more about improving their team instead? Clark the Bear may end up being as big an annoyance inside the ballpark as the Ballhawks are outside the park.

Dave Miedema

W_EISENHUTH
01-15-2014, 06:25 AM
Hard to improve on this one:

rufusandherschel
01-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Shouldn't the Cubs worry more about improving their team instead?

Dave Miedema

+1

Roady
01-15-2014, 08:57 AM
I may be wrong but the Cubs, Padres, Astros, and present Marlins owners don't seem to concerned with winning. It is a money making business and winning is just a bonus if it happens.

JDubbs73
01-15-2014, 09:25 AM
?..and present Marlins owners don't seem to concerned with winning. It is a money making business and winning is just a bonus if it happens.
Living in South Florida and having been a fan of this team since their inaugural season, this truly resonates with me. Past to present, the spending then purging antics of this franchise have turned me off to baseball. The final straw was building the new stadium in the middle of a poorly accessible area in Miami. Ownership alienated a large percentage of its attending fan base by doing so.

jake33
01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
On Chicago sports talk radio, they are just pounding on the the new mascot. I do think they botched this one myself.

Hoenstly, I do not think the Cubs or White Sox are "Family" entertainment.

Wrigley Field is basically a palce to party and drink. Not sure why people want to pay so much to go do that there, but when i went to Wrigley the first time in 1990, by no means do I think it was a Family enviroment. I was a baseball fan, so i didn't need the bells and whistles to make me enjoy it, but more of a generalized taste Chicago type of feel to it, yet with a strong national fan base.

The White Sox too, moreso seems like "Your local neighborhood baseball team" much more of a localized feel to it. Not the best area in town to have a team as well. Over the eyar of going to the Cell in Chicago, I wouldn't say it is the best kid-friendly place out there.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
It does little for family entertainment as there is nothing for bored kids to do during the game. Its far from a more modern stadium like Miller Park that has endless stuff for kids to do before and during games.

They are making %10 of attendees happy and just making an annoyance for 90%.

You will still have a kid screaming "I'm bored daddy/mommy!" Right behind you.

PAC
01-18-2014, 07:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Wirnw61mI

tella27
01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
I know there are a lot of Cub fans on here but the Cubs as an organization are a joke. They are the only team that even as the team continues to stink year after year they raise the prices. How can they expect people to bring the family out when they are charging almost $100 for bleacher tickets (what are normally the least expensive ticket anywhere else) and nothing but drunk idiots everywhere. The funniest part is every Cub fan at the games act as if the Cubs are in first place and have won season after season...

Going to a Cubs game is the most miserable time in all of pro sports but slightly above the WNBA..

jbean023
01-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I know there are a lot of Cub fans on here but the Cubs as an organization are a joke. They are the only team that even as the team continues to stink year after year they raise the prices. How can they expect people to bring the family out when they are charging almost $100 for bleacher tickets (what are normally the least expensive ticket anywhere else) and nothing but drunk idiots everywhere. The funniest part is every Cub fan at the games act as if the Cubs are in first place and have won season after season...

Going to a Cubs game is the most miserable time in all of pro sports but slightly above the WNBA..

Chris all we care about is that a Cardinals fan like yourself continues to live in Chicago and pay city taxes and support the Cubs. :) you should probably check ticket prices before you make your crazy assumptions as well. In two seasons went from bottom half of a farm system to top 5. Very exciting time to be a Cubs fan!!!

nevrdiez34
01-19-2014, 11:33 PM

Gotta love Cardinal fan bias throwing stereotypes around. If you hate it so much at Wrigley, don't go. Trust me, you won't be missed.

Cubman15
01-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Honestly, I think it's been completely blown out of proportion. It's a mascot whose sole purpose is to try to bring a little entertainment to the ballpark, and the community, for kids. The Cubs have already stated that Clark won't be jumping up and down on the top of the dugouts or doing any goofy things like that. The only reason that this whole thing is getting out of control is because of the record of the Cubs on the field. People who don't like the Cubs make fun of the new mascot and people who are completely frustrated with the team now have what they consider a reason to flip out. I have more important things to spend my time on in regards to the Cubs.

nevrdiez34
01-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Honestly, I think it's been completely blown out of proportion. It's a mascot whose sole purpose is to try to bring a little entertainment to the ballpark, and the community, for kids. The Cubs have already stated that Clark won't be jumping up and down on the top of the dugouts or doing any goofy things like that. The only reason that this whole thing is getting out of control is because of the record of the Cubs on the field. People who don't like the Cubs make fun of the new mascot and people who are completely frustrated with the team now have what they consider a reason to flip out. I have more important things to spend my time on in regards to the Cubs.

I completely agree, well said.

Cubman15
01-20-2014, 09:15 AM

The organization WAS a joke for a long time. When Theo took over he made it clear that they were going to build from the bottom up in order to build up an opportunity for long term success. While some fans are not very patient or understand how long this process can take, many do and appreciate how far we have come since he took over in October of 2011.

Over the next year or two, the Cubs are in a spot to possibly improve leaps and bounds with the influx of minor league talent coming up through the system and the extra money that will come with new tv contracts and improvements to the ballpark. I am trying to sit back and enjoy watching these young prospects make their way through the system. Having been a fan all of my life, it will all be worth it in the end.

In regards to your comments about bringing a family for a day of fun in the bleachers at Wrigley, I think you're a little off. First of all, while the ticket prices are very high, they are on a tiered system. I didn't have time to look things up, but I'm pretty sure that even the highest tiered bleacher tickets didn't reach that $100 face value mark yet. The average bleacher ticket is still under $50. By the way, the bleachers are no place for a family (at least if kids are involved) to sit at.

When you go the the bleachers, are you wearing your Cardinals jersey? Are you THAT guy who is the first to remind the Cubs fans just how good the Cardinals are? If those comments fit you, then that might help explain the reaction people give you when you sit there. I know fans of other teams who go there, even if they are wearing their own colors, are usually treated with respect and stuck up for if anyone acts out of line. On the other hand, if you start acting arrogant and loud, you have another thing coming.

If you have such a terrible time going there and paying hundreds of dollars every time you walk in the ballpark (thanks for supporting our terrible organization btw), then maybe you should just not go? I certainly wouldn't pay that much money to do something that I loathe. :-)

sox83cubs84
01-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Since Clark is the "official" Cubs mascot, how does that affect "unofficial mascot/resident mooch Ronnie Woo Woo Wickers?

Dave M.

Cubman15
01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Since Clark is the "official" Cubs mascot, how does that affect "unofficial mascot/resident mooch Ronnie Woo Woo Wickers?

Dave M.

Ronnie isn't giving up his unofficial title easily, he was at the convention and Wood's fundraiser last weekend.