PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Cubs Convention

Cubman15
01-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I was just wondering if anyone from GUU is going this year? I will be going there and will also be attending Kerry Wood's charity event at Navy Pier on Friday night. What are you guys looking forward to? Who's autos are you looking for?

Mark Prior and Derrek Lee will be there along with a ton of top prospects. I have a game used Lee bat as well as a Derrek Lee drawing done by my sister in law that I hope to get signed. I also have game used bats from the Sarge, Jody, Castro, and Dwight Smith which I would like to get signed. I'm hoping to get my game used Kerry Wood jersey signed at his event.

So Cub fans, let's hear from you!

twarman17
01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
I will be there. I have GU jerseys from Rizzo and Prior that I am thinking of getting signed. Are you a season ticket holder that will be in the lounge? I'll be there and that would be a good chance to meet up and maybe trade autograph tickets if we both preferred other people that were won under the new autograph policy for this year:

"* Please note: The Cubs Convention will have a new autograph system to reduce the amount of time fans have spent waiting in lines. This year, an autograph voucher system will be in effect for all players at Stage A on Jan. 18-19. All other autograph stages will run on a first-come, first-served basis, as they have been in the past.

Every attendee will receive a pull tab at Cubs registration. A number of these pull tabs are redeemable for one autograph. The pull tab gives direction as to if and what each attendee has been awarded. If a fan receives access to an autograph on Stage A, they should show up at the time slot listed to be granted access to the line. Only those with the applicable vouchers will be permitted to enter the Stage A session.

Autograph opportunities on all stages are included in the price of admission. In fact, more total player autograph opportunities are available this year than any previous Cubs Convention.

* Also new this year will be chances for fans to have a more personal meet and greet with their favorite players for a donation of $125 for current players and $150 for alumni. The money will be donated to Cubs Charities. Fans will receive an authentic baseball to be signed, a photo opportunity with the player, and time to ask questions and interact. Spaces are limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Those interested in receiving more information about this opportunity should visit the Cubs Charities room on the second level at the Sheraton when the convention opens."

sox83cubs84
01-14-2014, 10:40 PM
I was just wondering if anyone from GUU is going this year? I will be going there and will also be attending Kerry Wood's charity event at Navy Pier on Friday night. What are you guys looking forward to? Who's autos are you looking for?

Mark Prior and Derrek Lee will be there along with a ton of top prospects. I have a game used Lee bat as well as a Derrek Lee drawing done by my sister in law that I hope to get signed. I also have game used bats from the Sarge, Jody, Castro, and Dwight Smith which I would like to get signed. I'm hoping to get my game used Kerry Wood jersey signed at his event.

So Cub fans, let's hear from you!

I'm assisting a dealer buddy at his booth. Last year we were located directly across from the auction area and sale racks Just look for the tall bearded guy with the anti-Obama T-shirt.

nevrdiez34
01-14-2014, 11:26 PM
* Also new this year will be chances for fans to have a more personal meet and greet with their favorite players for a donation of $125 for current players and $150 for alumni. The money will be donated to Cubs Charities. Fans will receive an authentic baseball to be signed, a photo opportunity with the player, and time to ask questions and interact. Spaces are limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Those interested in receiving more information about this opportunity should visit the Cubs Charities room on the second level at the Sheraton when the convention opens."

I noticed for the $125-$150 meet & greet tickets that it says "Fans will receive an authentic baseball to be signed" does anyone know if you can bring your own items to be signed, or if you can only have the baseball autographed? And if so is there an item limit? I messaged the Cubs and Carrie Muskat, but neither have responded.

twarman17
01-15-2014, 01:05 AM
I noticed for the $125-$150 meet & greet tickets that it says "Fans will receive an authentic baseball to be signed" does anyone know if you can bring your own items to be signed, or if you can only have the baseball autographed? And if so is there an item limit? I messaged the Cubs and Carrie Muskat, but neither have responded.

Please let us know what you find. If we can get a few autos rather than the picture then I'd be interested.

nevrdiez34
01-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Please let us know what you find. If we can get a few autos rather than the picture then I'd be interested.

I just got a response regarding the Meet & Greet:

"I just caught up with our Convention team. They’ll provide a baseball to sign and have requested folks bring only one additional item to sign (per player you’re meeting) to avoid the meet and greet from becoming simply an autograph session."

twarman17
01-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Ok thanks for the info - see everyone tmrw

twarman17
01-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know where in the Sheraton the Cubs had the GU auction last year, and when it starts tomorrow? I was unable to attend last year.

sox83cubs84
01-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know where in the Sheraton the Cubs had the GU auction last year, and when it starts tomorrow? I was unable to attend last year.

It's in the main room that has all the corporate and dealer booths, on the back wall, next to the Cubs Authentics sale area for GU jerseys, baseballs, caps and helmets, among other things. Also some new 2014 Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary game baseballs.

Dave Miedema

twarman17
01-18-2014, 01:45 AM
It's in the main room that has all the corporate and dealer booths, on the back wall, next to the Cubs Authentics sale area for GU jerseys, baseballs, caps and helmets, among other things. Also some new 2014 Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary game baseballs.

Dave Miedema

Thanks, I found it this afternoon and picked up a "Beware of Foul Balls" sign from Wrigley Field w/ MLB authentication (very nicely beat up, must have been on the wall a long time). Was very happy to see that available for auction.

Cubman15
01-18-2014, 06:58 PM
those were pretty cool signs. I won a couple of items at the auction as well. I bought a game used Alfonso Soriano bat and hat combo for $170 and a Welington Castillo game used bat for $60. I also got good deals on a Castillo game used jersey and a Carlos Marmol game used jersey. I was able to get both Castillo items signed today as well.

Did anyone go to Wood's fundraiser? I went last night and had a great time! We got to meet Almora, Baez, Soler, Rizzo, and many others.

BIGSTIG
01-18-2014, 08:13 PM
How much were the foul ball signs?

twarman17
01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
those were pretty cool signs. I won a couple of items at the auction as well. I bought a game used Alfonso Soriano bat and hat combo for $170 and a Welington Castillo game used bat for $60. I also got good deals on a Castillo game used jersey and a Carlos Marmol game used jersey. I was able to get both Castillo items signed today as well.

Did anyone go to Wood's fundraiser? I went last night and had a great time! We got to meet Almora, Baez, Soler, Rizzo, and many others.

Were players signing at the Wood party? Always thought about going but was wondering if I could get autos. Also, how much did the auction package including Wood's last game jersey go for?

Foul signs went for $540, $650, $750 and $1000. Two more were auctioned last month online for $595 and $597 (plus shipping).

Cubman15
01-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Players were taking pictures and signing. Now, it's not like you could bring any bats or a box full of items to take up all of their time, but my friend and I each had a couple of baseballs in our pockets and I wore a game used Kerry Wood jersey their which I got signed as well.

It was really cool. The players were bartending in shifts and most were very friendly. I know the Domincan players seemed to hang out with each other and for the most part weren't as outgoing with the fans, but that could simply be a language barrier thing. With the acception of Rick Sutcliffe, everyone had time to stop, take a picture, and talk for a minute or two.

I would like to say that I am now a big CJ Edwards fan. What a great kid! He seemed every bit as excited to meet the fans as we were to meet him. He was full of energy and truly seemed to be appreciative of the abilities that he's been blessed with. He talked our ears off while we were there. Just a great kid!

sox83cubs84
01-22-2014, 10:14 PM
I was told by several booth holders that, late in the day on Saturday, several dealers came in and bought out the remaining sale inventory. You might try to see if eBay has any of these up for bids.

Dave Miedema

twarman17
01-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Correct, late Saturday someone purchased all of the racks of jerseys. They had been picked through pretty good. I have seen on eBay several of the jerseys sold at auction posted since yesterday.

Cubman15
01-18-2016, 08:59 PM
How did everyone do at the convention this year? We had a ton of fun at Wood's Winter Warm-Up! Got lucky with some autos and found some items for great values at the convention itself.

I'd like to thank TW for my first GU Rizzo jersey (which will eventually be given to my son since Rizzo hit a HR in his first game). I also picked up two TI 2015 playoff jerseys (Montero and Fowler), a Cahill TI jersey (he was a riot at Wood's event), and TI jerseys of Montero and Hendricks which each show great evidence of use. In addition, I was able to get my Addison Russell GU bat signed. He said it was a sweet bat when he saw it and even took half of a swing with it from his chair. Cool guy!

Wrigley2010
01-19-2016, 04:08 AM
Did anyone happen to notice if they had any Baez items besides the $1000 LVS bat?

Cubman15
01-19-2016, 10:07 AM
I know there was a Baez hat and a locker tag, but I only hung around the auction for a couple of hours the entire weekend.

nevrdiez34
01-19-2016, 10:18 AM
The live auction didn't offer much compared to past years. I'm guessing because a lot of items were sold prior to the Cubs Convention due to the teams success. There was mostly BP items, team issued jerseys and hats, champagne bottles and Beware of Foul Ball signs (which I'm still upset I missed out on). There were only a few batting helmets and a couple bats. In addition to the Baez bat, TI hat and locker name plate (which I believe both are on eBay), I think I saw a BP jersey, but not much if anything else.

esigs
01-19-2016, 02:22 PM
The live auction didn't offer much compared to past years. I'm guessing because a lot of items were sold prior to the Cubs Convention due to the teams success. There was mostly BP items, team issued jerseys and hats, champagne bottles and Beware of Foul Ball signs (which I'm still upset I missed out on). There were only a few batting helmets and a couple bats. In addition to the Baez bat, TI hat and locker name plate (which I believe both are on eBay), I think I saw a BP jersey, but not much if anything else.

Do you know how many Foul Ball signs were sold and for how much?

nevrdiez34
01-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Do you know how many Foul Ball signs were sold and for how much?

There were probably 4-5 sold while I was there, the prices weren't too bad compared to the MLB Auctions which typically go for $1,000+, most went in the $650-$750 range.

D-Wedge
01-19-2016, 05:10 PM
I witnessed two Foul Ball signs sell at $625.00 and $800.00 respectively.

Dach0sen0ne
01-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Anybody notice if they had any Austin Jackson items available?

nevrdiez34
01-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Anybody notice if they had any Austin Jackson items available?

I know they had some team issued postseason jerseys available but I didn't see any game used while I was there

D-Wedge
01-19-2016, 11:45 PM
I did pickup a game used Jackson grey road jersey. Saw some others that showed little to no wear.

Dach0sen0ne
01-20-2016, 03:02 PM
I did pickup a game used Jackson grey road jersey. Saw some others that showed little to no wear.

If you ever decide to move it, shoot me an email!