PDA

View Full Version : Chicago White Sox Soxfest

helf35
01-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Anyone going this year. This will be my 17th in a row this year. I have been every year since 98'. It would be cool to see some sox collectors from here.

sox83cubs84
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
I plan to be helping out at a booth and looking to buy 1 or 2 heaper GU Sox items. Just look for the tall, bearded guy with the anti-Obama T-shirt.

Dave Miedema

35th&Shields
01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm sure like many. I would like to go just to attend Friday Nights garage sale. Looking to pick up a jersey or two depending on price. Any one who has an extra ticket and needs an extra set of hands to snag something up let me know. I'll glady pay for my ticket and help out with what ever your looking for. Good Luck and Hope you fans Have a blast!

helf35
01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
I will be there all weekend and plan on picking up a few pieces at the garage sale. I'm hoping they have the 83' jerseys since they weren't at the clubhouse sale. Also looking forward to getting my Thomas and Thome gamers signed.

salukidave
01-15-2014, 06:45 PM
I'll be there all weekend. I'm sure I'll pick up some items, but at this point I'm not sure how much new stuff I need after decades of Soxfests and Garage Sales. It'll be interesting to see how Thome signs your bat. He personalized mine when he signed it six or seven years ago.

vince182
01-18-2014, 10:43 PM
does the garage sale run ONLY on friday? or is it like the cubs convention and run friday and saturday ONLY. or does it happen to run all 3 days?

any help would be much appreciated!

helf35
01-18-2014, 10:58 PM
All 3 days.

vince182
01-18-2014, 11:00 PM
All 3 days.

great! i appreciate the response!

vince182
01-18-2014, 11:15 PM
anyone have ideas on prices of things at the GU garage sale? (generally)

helf35
01-19-2014, 09:20 AM
After dunn had that terrible first year his bats were $125. Last year they were $200 so I would look for the same or maybe $150-$175. Viciedo and Alexei were $50. Konerko will be $300 +. Beckham $50-$75. The steal will prob be thorton, peavy, and everyone else traded or not comming back. I'm sure an erik johnson jersey will run around $125-$175 which I'm hoping to get one. After sales first year his were $175 and I'm kicking myself for not getting one back then. Seems like the team has realized there bad and dropped some prices accordingly. At the clubhouse sale I got liriano for $25 and picked up a Freddy Garcia for $50. I'm hoping they still have a bunch for $25.

vince182
01-19-2014, 09:33 PM
After dunn had that terrible first year his bats were $125. Last year they were $200 so I would look for the same or maybe $150-$175. Viciedo and Alexei were $50. Konerko will be $300 +. Beckham $50-$75. The steal will prob be thorton, peavy, and everyone else traded or not comming back. I'm sure an erik johnson jersey will run around $125-$175 which I'm hoping to get one. After sales first year his were $175 and I'm kicking myself for not getting one back then. Seems like the team has realized there bad and dropped some prices accordingly. At the clubhouse sale I got liriano for $25 and picked up a Freddy Garcia for $50. I'm hoping they still have a bunch for $25.

sounds like it just kind of varies..... but thanks for the estimate..... im just trying to figure out if its worth dropping the $$$ to get in, JUST to go to the garage sale portion

Melissa1334
01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Bump anyone pick anything up

35th&Shields
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm interested to see what hits ebay?

Was listening to the score earlier and was pretty excited to hear about this years team. SoxFest...means were close! :D

Melissa1334
01-24-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm interested to see what hits ebay?

Was listening to the score earlier and was pretty excited to hear about this years team. SoxFest...means were close! :D

Me too except people want to charge 3x or more what they paid lol

35th&Shields
01-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Lol..Yup!

My guess is Garcia will be the highest priced and sought after item??

jake33
01-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Anyone get a Dan Johnson locker nameplate?

Melissa1334
01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Lol..Yup!

My guess is Garcia will be the highest priced and sought after item??

A member here said there were no avisail items. Avisail had cleats and gloves made available to a reseller, but no bats or jerseys. Hesaid the sox kept em but they have yet to make them available. I guess the sox are still holding on to them to sell some time down the road?

sox83cubs84
01-24-2014, 10:39 PM
One attendee came over by our booth and showed us a Garcia jersey he bought early Friday for $300. He did indicate, however, that the quantity of Garcia items was very limited.

Dave M.

35th&Shields
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Wow! 300 not bad at all for avisail jersey. With all the hype surrounding him. Definitely thought more. Chris sale went from 300 to 1k within a year. That was nuts!

Better pick ups next year when they win the WS. Ha!:D :eek: :cool:

Melissa1334
01-24-2014, 11:30 PM
One attendee came over by our booth and showed us a Garcia jersey he bought early Friday for $300. He did indicate, however, that the quantity of Garcia items was very limited.

Dave M.
I guess u had to be one of the 1st there to get one then, 300 is decent I guess , too pricey for me lol

Melissa1334
01-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Also, if abreu becomes the real deal, which I think he will, his prices will be ridiculous lol

helf35
01-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Garage sale bats were a joke this year. Viciedo was $50 last year and he had a worse season and there $150. $75 for a phegley, no thanks. Matt Thornton signed ball $75, rios $150. HA!

helf35
01-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Best deal was Jackie Robinson game jerseys. I got sale for $100

Melissa1334
01-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Garage sale bats were a joke this year. Viciedo was $50 last year and he had a worse season and there $150. $75 for a phegley, no thanks. Matt Thornton signed ball $75, rios $150. HA!
What a joke

Melissa1334
01-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Best deal was Jackie Robinson game jerseys. I got sale for $100
How many autographs were u able to get?

35th&Shields
01-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Lol.. I hear you Dave. Some of these gamers are like buying a new car. Automatic loss as soon as you purchase and may never increase in value. I guess it all depends on how you want to roll.

Were they still asking about 1k for Konerkos??

35th&Shields
01-25-2014, 11:31 AM
My bad, I meant Melissa not Dave. Lol.. sorry

Melissa1334
01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Lol.. I hear you Dave. Some of these gamers are like buying a new car. Automatic loss as soon as you purchase and may never increase in value. I guess it all depends on how you want to roll.

Were they still asking about 1k for Konerkos??
That his 83 jersey was 800

35th&Shields
01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Sounds about right. I think they went down at one point I think they were 11 maybe1200?? Regardless Congrats on those who went and picked up what they were looking for.

helf35
01-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Konerko 83' jersey was $1500 as well as his regular. Sale was $1,000. I pulled 9 autos Friday 7 autos Saturday. Frank 45 min late so I missed beckham. Not a very large crowd probably the lowest since it's been at the Palmer house. I did get a Dunn helmet today with tons of use.

twarman17
01-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Frank refused to inscribe "HOF '14" which pissed some people off. Rumor going around was that he has an exclusive contract to sign that for a company - do not know if that is accurate.

Also, he had a family emergency which was blamed for the delay. It sounded like a serious matter so people were fortunate he showed.

flaco1801
01-26-2014, 12:22 PM
anyone see any Ehren Wassermann stuff? thanks...

Chris78
01-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Frank refused to inscribe "HOF '14" which pissed some people off. Rumor going around was that he has an exclusive contract to sign that for a company - do not know if that is accurate.

Also, he had a family emergency which was blamed for the delay. It sounded like a serious matter so people were fortunate he showed.

Frank Thomas is doing a Mab-celebrity show today in New Jersey at the Meadowlands. The promoter is charging $50 for HOF 14. If you go to the website www.mab-celebrity.com it says he is exclusive to them.

FYI,

Chris

35th&Shields
01-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the info everybody. Much Appreciated! kind of bogus The Big Hurt refused to sign HOF 14 on your items. I guess we cant take it personal, just business. A frustrating one! I know I would of been a little discouraged myself. I'm sure it was even more frustrating with the delays and all. Sux!

helf35
01-26-2014, 11:19 PM
He didn't do HOF but he did at least do the MVP inscriptions.

helf35
01-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Still can't believe this. Not sure which is worse, rios at $150 or peavy's $200.

Juan Gris
01-27-2014, 02:39 AM
...I did get a Dunn helmet today with tons of use.

Is that the Dunn helmet in the background of the Frank Thomas bat picture? Very nice! I would have loved to make it to Soxfest this year just to check out the Dunn stuff. What did they have available for him and were the prices reasonable?

helf35
01-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Yes I posted the Dunn helmet on the white sox GU section. Dunn bats were high. Friday they were $300 then dropped to $250 sat/sun. Jerseys were $500. They will have a ton of his stuff cheaper and available of him when/if he's gone next year. I feel I overpaid off the helmet @ $200 but I wanted one and it had ton of use. He made a comment about striking out because of the large mark on top from throwing it. Super cool guy and he signed my photo matched WBC bat and inscribed it as well.

Melissa1334
01-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Still can't believe this. Not sure which is worse, rios at $150 or peavy's $200.
are those game used hats? which players did they have and were they pricey?

helf35
01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Really nobody. They had peavy signed snap back hats for $75. There really wasn't anything special with the hats unless they were picked through the first hour.

helf35
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
At the clubhouse sale in November you could get a signed authenticated peavy st pattys hat game used for $40. Why the hell would anyone pay $75 for a replica snap back.

salukidave
01-27-2014, 09:43 PM
There really wasn't anything special with the hats unless they were picked through the first hour.

I picked up a Konerko BP hat for $100.

esigs
01-28-2014, 09:37 AM
I guess u had to be one of the 1st there to get one then, 300 is decent I guess , too pricey for me lol

I arrived at the line 2:15pm on Friday and I estimate there were around 150 people ahead of me (although most people didn't go to GU booth right away). They let in a wave of about 80-100 people around 3:15pm and I went in shortly after 3:40pm. I went straight to the GU booth and checked the jerseys rack first. By then, there were no A Garcia left, only a L Garcia. I saw a couple of Konerko at $1,500, Sale at $1,000, and Reed for $400. One person had over a dozen jerseys, but I couldn't tell whose they were. I only got one Rienzo black alternate, which was only issued. If anyone got another Rienzo, I would love to know.

The rest of the items were not very interesting to me and prices seemed to be in general higher than the holiday sale in December. There were few catchers gears, helmets, and only 1983 pants. The hats were mostly from players I didn't recognize, although there were a couple of Ventura hats at $50.

In general, I didn't think it was worth attending the event to find GU items. It was better for people looking for autographs, as several key current and past players signed, some like Konerko all 3 days, unlike some other team fan fests where the key players don't show up or don't sign. Notable absence was Sale.

I had never gone to an autograph show or fan fest before, but it felt like you were rushing so you could wait in line. The one complaint I had about the autograph sessions was related to Bo Jackson's session. There was a sign posted at the entrance of the room his session was held, I understand the day before his session but I didn't see it until Sunday, that he was only signing a photo to be provided at the session, no memorabilia or even your own photo. Apparently he has a contract that prevents him to sign other items, which I can understand, but the White Sox should have known this ahead of time and should have mentioned it when they announced his attendance. I heard some people had come from far just to attend his signing and were very upset when they found this out.

A final note about the autograph sessions. Some are very crowded and the bracelets are given out very quickly, while others are the opposite. Depending on your collection focus, you can get many autographs without waiting too long. This was the case with former players (Stone, Farmer, Peterson), current (Nate Jones) and prospects (Semien, E Johson, M Johnson).

I didn't attend any seminar, but I thought it is great that those who are interested to hear from the GM, manager, current and past players, can do so and even ask them questions.

Again, if anyone picked up a Rienzo jersey or saw one besides the black alternate, I would love to know.

Melissa1334
01-28-2014, 12:55 PM
I picked up a Konerko BP hat for $100.
Thats awesome, would love a pk hat. Good price too

helf35
01-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Thome svigned a perfect signiture with the #25 inscribed for the girl behind me but gave me this.

helf35
01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
I arrived at the line 2:15pm on Friday and I estimate there were around 150 people ahead of me (although most people didn't go to GU booth right away). They let in a wave of about 80-100 people around 3:15pm and I went in shortly after 3:40pm. I went straight to the GU booth and checked the jerseys rack first. By then, there were no A Garcia left, only a L Garcia. I saw a couple of Konerko at $1,500, Sale at $1,000, and Reed for $400. One person had over a dozen jerseys, but I couldn't tell whose they were. I only got one Rienzo black alternate, which was only issued. If anyone got another Rienzo, I would love to know.

The rest of the items were not very interesting to me and prices seemed to be in general higher than the holiday sale in December. There were few catchers gears, helmets, and only 1983 pants. The hats were mostly from players I didn't recognize, although there were a couple of Ventura hats at $50.

In general, I didn't think it was worth attending the event to find GU items. It was better for people looking for autographs, as several key current and past players signed, some like Konerko all 3 days, unlike some other team fan fests where the key players don't show up or don't sign. Notable absence was Sale.

I had never gone to an autograph show or fan fest before, but it felt like you were rushing so you could wait in line. The one complaint I had about the autograph sessions was related to Bo Jackson's session. There was a sign posted at the entrance of the room his session was held, I understand the day before his session but I didn't see it until Sunday, that he was only signing a photo to be provided at the session, no memorabilia or even your own photo. Apparently he has a contract that prevents him to sign other items, which I can understand, but the White Sox should have known this ahead of time and should have mentioned it when they announced his attendance. I heard some people had come from far just to attend his signing and were very upset when they found this out.

A final note about the autograph sessions. Some are very crowded and the bracelets are given out very quickly, while others are the opposite. Depending on your collection focus, you can get many autographs without waiting too long. This was the case with former players (Stone, Farmer, Peterson), current (Nate Jones) and prospects (Semien, E Johson, M Johnson).

I didn't attend any seminar, but I thought it is great that those who are interested to hear from the GM, manager, current and past players, can do so and even ask them questions.

Again, if anyone picked up a Rienzo jersey or saw one besides the black alternate, I would love to know.

They raise prices for soxfest but they usually have better items there. At the clubhouse sale they didn't have many bats or any of the 83' jerseys but prices were cheaper. Morel jersey at the clubhouse sale was $25 soxfest was $100. The same guy gets to the soxfest sale 1st every year and buys a buttload.

35th&Shields
01-28-2014, 05:51 PM
helf35, Still Nice, but I feel you. Its like Whats up dude! Can I get the same luv too. Sheesh!

salukidave
01-28-2014, 06:20 PM
The guy who grabs a bunch of jerseys right away is from Ballpark Heroes. I guess everyone can do the same thing, but, in my opinion, the Sox shouldn't allow him to do this right away. 1) He's buying to resell. 2) I'm sure he's getting some kind of deal on them so he's costing White Sox Charities money.

I feel for you regarding the signature Thome put on your bat. The Greatest Human Being On The Planet is often an ass when it comes to signing stuff. He makes all these little judgements about people and then signs accordingly. He didn't give me a #25 either, but it really didn't matter to me because I had him sign just a magazine. But he was sizing up people throughout his session Sunday. Sometimes he would get ticked off for whatever reason. One woman who didn't receive a #25 from him (I believe it was on a generic bat) returned to the table and asked him to add it. He complied, but was clearly not happy to do it.

If you ask me, Thome is a phoney.

35th&Shields
01-28-2014, 06:37 PM
He does look like Mr. Incredible though. Lol..

Honestly, I wish the Sox would change that format at there sales. I would like to see a silent/live auction. All 3 days. Gives everybody a fair shot and lets the collectors dictate pricing. Its not like all the stuff they put out there on the racks gets sold. They know and we know what the hot items are and worth auctioning??

helf35
01-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Here's another one I had a 2011 futures game ball from viciedo. He was about to sign it in black and I gave him my blue pen. He looked at me funny then flipped it around and signed it on the backside where you can't see the logo.

Dewey2007
01-28-2014, 07:05 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Sox pitcher Erik Johnson today. He was on campus taking care of some business. Nice young man. Hopefully he makes the starting rotation. I'll be rooting for him!

esigs
01-28-2014, 07:19 PM
The guy who grabs a bunch of jerseys right away is from Ballpark Heroes. I guess everyone can do the same thing, but, in my opinion, the Sox shouldn't allow him to do this right away. 1) He's buying to resell. 2) I'm sure he's getting some kind of deal on them so he's costing White Sox Charities money.

That was my guess after seeing several jerseys they put on eBay yesterday. I don't know how the Sox would be able to control who buys the items, unless they put a limit to everyone?

esigs
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
He does look like Mr. Incredible though. Lol..

Honestly, I wish the Sox would change that format at there sales. I would like to see a silent/live auction. All 3 days. Gives everybody a fair shot and lets the collectors dictate pricing. Its not like all the stuff they put out there on the racks gets sold. They know and we know what the hot items are and worth auctioning??

I would prefer that, specially if they had the GU sale in a separate area where you could go in without buying a Soxfest ticket. Even better for me would be if they did what the Tigers does and sell most of their items on an online auction. Or at least like the Braves or Royals, although I understand that the Royals will be moving to an online platform this year.

35th&Shields
01-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Would be Nice! Stole the idea from the Blackhawks convention. They have a live auction shortly after the doors open then a display table with tons of used equipment and jerseys placed for bid that goes live around 6pm.

Cubman15
01-28-2014, 08:25 PM

I feel for you regarding the signature Thome put on your bat. The Greatest Human Being On The Planet is often an ass when it comes to signing stuff. He makes all these little judgements about people and then signs accordingly. He didn't give me a #25 either, but it really didn't matter to me because I had him sign just a magazine. But he was sizing up people throughout his session Sunday. Sometimes he would get ticked off for whatever reason. One woman who didn't receive a #25 from him (I believe it was on a generic bat) returned to the table and asked him to add it. He complied, but was clearly not happy to do it.

If you ask me, Thome is a phoney.

I was dropping some things off at a hotel in the western burbs a few years ago for a charity event, when I saw some guys bringing in a ton of White Sox memorabilia into a separate room. I looked into the room and Thome was signing all of the memorabilia. I wasn't collecting at that time, but a friend of mine is a huge Sox fan. I walked into the room and asked one of the guys if I could get something signed for my friend. He said it was up to Jim. I explained that I was a major Cubs fan, but that my friend was a huge Sox fan. Jim was more than happy to sign a couple of items for him. It's a shame that your experience wasn't as positive. Sorry to hear that.

Cubman15
01-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Would be Nice! Stole the idea from the Blackhawks convention. They have a live auction shortly after the doors open then a display table with tons of used equipment and jerseys placed for bid that goes live around 6pm.

I was at the Cubs Convention a couple of weekends ago and they have a section for game used items, many of which are pretty reasonably priced with a good selection, plus they had live auctions on Friday and Saturday. The live auctions were very fun and they had a lot of quality uniforms there like Castro, Lake, Rizzo, Samardzija, etc. it's a shame that there wasn't the same selection at Sox Fest.

stlbats
01-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Thome svigned a perfect signiture with the #25 inscribed for the girl behind me but gave me this.

This is why I don't get my gamers signed anymore. Seemed like a bad signature or a pen malfunction almost every time for me.

helf35
01-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Personally I have gotten thomes sig about a dozen times and always got a clean sig and 8 of them came with the #. This was my first bad signiture from him so I can't be to ticked. I think it just rubs me the wrong way when they pick and choose. It was only a BP bat so I will wait and pay for his sig to get on my black gamer.

Hoosier39
01-28-2014, 10:01 PM
That was my guess after seeing several jerseys they put on eBay yesterday. I don't know how the Sox would be able to control who buys the items, unless they put a limit to everyone?

It sucks when 1 or 2 people buy tons of items, but I guess that's just how it works unfortunately. If you have the money to do so, then I guess there isn't too much you can do about it, even tho you know they are just buying to make profit.

If it was someone that spent $2,500 worth of goodies for their personal collection, then thats a different story.

Cubman15
01-29-2014, 08:03 AM
It sucks when 1 or 2 people buy tons of items, but I guess that's just how it works unfortunately. If you have the money to do so, then I guess there isn't too much you can do about it, even tho you know they are just buying to make profit.

If it was someone that spent $2,500 worth of goodies for their personal collection, then thats a different story.

I wonder if they could limit the number of jerseys that someone checks out with at any one time. While that wouldn't completely solve the problem, it might by fans and collectors a little bit of extra time.

35th&Shields
01-29-2014, 10:33 AM
I think they do need to change that portion of Soxfest. It would give us fans a better experience versus the one we are experiencing now. The one were we are waiting very long hrs in line, then the bum rushing once the doors open. Reminds me of some end of the world type stuff. When people are grabbing everything they can out of the grocery store. Lol.. Ok, maybe not that bad. Maybe its just tradition?

esigs
01-29-2014, 11:01 AM
I think they do need to change that portion of Soxfest. It would give us fans a better experience versus the one we are experiencing now. The one were we are waiting very long hrs in line, then the bum rushing once the doors open. Reminds me of some end of the world type stuff. When people are grabbing everything they can out of the grocery store. Lol.. Ok, maybe not that bad. Maybe its just tradition?

I agree and I wrote about this when I completed the Soxfest survey. Maybe if more people write to them, they will listen?

Does anyone know who is in charge of GU merchandise sale for the Sox? Maybe we can also send suggestions to whomever is responsible for it.

35th&Shields
01-29-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure who the equipment manager is or who's in charge of the festivities at SoxFest or how it all that breaks down. I know when dealing with White Sox Charities Stacy Tsihlopoulos is the main cotact there. I think? Havnt purchased anything since this past summer.

I'ts probably alot more complicated than we think. I think the inventory of actual game used jerseys is all over the place with the Sox organization. You got Set 1's with tons of use, set 2's with none, then a set 6 with decent wear?? Somebody has to start keeping track of all this. A couple years back I was a at a garage sale and came across a blank issued 1997 blk alt jersey.:eek:
Whaatt?

I guess to keep it simple just auction off actual game used equipment after every season. If they have any gamers from past season that show use throw some of them in there as well. Who knows? Maybe I'm just wasting my breath.

salukidave
01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
I'd discourage anyone from complaining about the Garage Sale. It is perfect? Absolutely not. But auctioning items is not a good alternative. The stuff the Sox sell in auctions online or at games usually goes for more, sometimes much more, than it's worth. Be glad the Sox provide an opportunity to buy game-used stuff three times a year. How many other teams do that?

Melissa1334
01-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Yea like the tigers, they auction off everything, even used pens and markers players used lol what a joke

35th&Shields
01-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Ill agree about the online auctioning. That is awhole different beast in itself. Way overpriced.

Yeah garage sales are exciting to look forward to. No doubt about that. I wouldnt go as far as and canceling them out through the year. I mean players use so much equipment and jerseys knit, CB, tbtc and others along with bats helmets hats etc... The Sox can afford to change the format a little bit. The pricing now a days varies at the sales regardless. Just like a live auction. Some stuff bids high and others bid low. At least at a live auction you know who your up against. Not like ebay where at the last sec somebody snipes you and you lose out or end up paying that extra you hoped you didnt have too.

All im sayin is switch it up alittle bit.

helf35
01-30-2014, 11:21 AM
i was really looking forward to adding a sox garcia gamer but who knows maybe one will show up on the market soon. $300 still seemed high considering I only pad half that for a tigers jerseys but i still would have jumped on it. Not sure I would pony up to much more than that. I would like to see the sox cheat off the cardinals a little bit with the silent auction and maybe a live auction as well. Be nice to have a crack at a konerko for under $1500. I still remember that griffey jersey being at the soxfest garage sale for many years before it sold. I still wonder what the final purchase price was of that. Last years I feel was more resonable. i got about several bats for $50. Alexei, Viciedo and Beckham. Not sure whats with the jump on the Viciedo this year. Dunn was $300 on friday and bumped down to $250 the rest of the weekend. I paid $125 the year before. didnt seem like they sold many jerseys or bats this year so maybe some of those prices will drop at the next clubhouse sale.

salukidave
01-30-2014, 06:15 PM
The prices have varied wildly from sale to sale, often without rhyme or reason, for years. If you want something bad enough, you'll pay the price, which, remember, goes to White Sox Charities. Again, I don't think it would be desirable for most collectors to see 'em use an auction format. Then the best stuff will go mostly to the people with the most money. The current format rewards collectors who are willing to wait in line. I've been able to buy some amazing stuff over the years that I wouldn't have been able to afford if it was auctioned.

FYI, there were a handful of Griffey jerseys on the rack at SoxFest 2009. Only one was game used. I was able to buy it at a discount late Sunday.

35th&Shields
01-30-2014, 10:09 PM
I feel you on your points SalukiDave, and I doubt my 2 cents will influence that multi million dollar franchise on the southside. I wouldnt doubt if change is coming though. Not because of our discussion here. But more so due to the fact that this hobby is alot popular now then back in the day. The day when you could pick up plenty of solid pieces at a fair price and make a nice flip. Its always a hobby to us, but now it has turned into another avenue of cash for these franchises. There a sports team but a business first. I also wouldnt doubt since we have another fraudulent franchise in terms of selling there bogus memorabilia. Teams start to tighten down how they go about selling there GU. How many times do we pick up a handful of jerseys then thumb through them and realize its not even used. But yet they want me the buyer to make that call and pay for sometimes what is overpriced? Thats kinda of a loose way of doing business. But yeah, like you said, you can definitely find some gems that way. Thats the funnest part right there for me along with doing research on the web. Ill always buy Sox gamers regardless, and im sure we vould go back and forth. When you mentioned your AJ chest protector I think in another thread. I remember we had actually met one time. You mentioned wsiting at a garage sale too. Nice pick up on the Griffey! Hear you have a hell of a collection too! Thats Awesome! Go Sox!

helf35
01-10-2015, 12:51 AM
Anyone else on this forum going this year? I will be there all 3 days.

salukidave
01-10-2015, 01:43 PM
I'll be there all three days.

helf35
01-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Should be interesting in another new venue. Wonder how it will all layout.

sox83cubs84
01-12-2015, 09:14 PM
The prices have varied wildly from sale to sale, often without rhyme or reason, for years. If you want something bad enough, you'll pay the price, which, remember, goes to White Sox Charities. Again, I don't think it would be desirable for most collectors to see 'em use an auction format. Then the best stuff will go mostly to the people with the most money. The current format rewards collectors who are willing to wait in line. I've been able to buy some amazing stuff over the years that I wouldn't have been able to afford if it was auctioned.

FYI, there were a handful of Griffey jerseys on the rack at SoxFest 2009. Only one was game used. I was able to buy it at a discount late Sunday.

Dave:

Remember the $1,000 Gordon Beckham GU jerseys? For me, money well NOT spent.

Dave Miedema

salukidave
01-13-2015, 02:40 AM
Dave:

Remember the $1,000 Gordon Beckham GU jerseys? For me, money well NOT spent.

Dave Miedema

Oh yeah.

I also remember $100 Frank Thomas GU bats at one of the sales at the park. You just never know. Most of the time, though, the prices have been higher than market value.

helf35
01-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Oh yeah.

I also remember $100 Frank Thomas GU bats at one of the sales at the park. You just never know. Most of the time, though, the prices have been higher than market value.

I bought a Thomas already signed one year for $150. I also only paid $300 for my Belle signed jersey and I believe Thomas was the same price. Beckham bats will now be $35-$50. Last year the sox were trying to get $125 for a peavy ball so you still have the overpriced items you just never know what they are going to be. They still have the Thome for $1250.

Melissa1334
01-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Was reading an article just now and saw abreu will only be there Friday

helf35
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
I am not sure what is around this new venue but if anyone wants to meet up at this years soxfest feel free to shoot me an email. I will be there all weekend. Maybe we can all meet up at the bar for a drink.

sox83cubs84
01-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Health permitting, I'll be there Friday and Saturday. That health, though, kept me away from the Cubs Covention for only the second time in 20 years or so.

Dave M.

jake33
01-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Would love a DAN JOHNSON #29 Sox throwback used/issued jersey if it is available

email jahimiak33@yahoo.com