PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Helmet Experts-Photomatch Help-Hunt Auctions-Bradshaw Helmet

helmets
01-09-2014, 08:46 AM
So I recently bought an early 70's Steelers game used Marietta clear shell helmet. Pretty excited when I got it. Looked it all over, looks great. Took some pictures of it, and wham-o...I noticed something funky. On the logo, the "STEELERS" seemed to be a different font than what I am used to. It is a bit smaller than "normal", but also the font is what I would describe as the "stenciled" Steelers font that we sometimes see, with gaps in the letters.

Huh? I have tried to style match the logo and have spent hours on the computer looking. Nothing. I have talked to fellow helmet collectors and "experts.". No luck. Perhaps Marietta had a local decal company and decaled the Steelers helmets with a different style. I have seen that before on other helmets, other teams from the 60's and 70's. I finally gave up after no luck in finding a style match - which as we all know can be difficult on the few small low resolution photos from the 70's. Unless you have an extreme closeup of the one side of the helmet that they wore a logo, straight on, you can't see $#!+.

So, there I was, looking through the Hunt Superbowl Auction. What? A Terry Bradshaw game used helmet? Wow, I gotta check this out! Looks good! Got a great letter or receipt from an original donation to a fund raiser. Nice! Wait...the logo...the font...it looks...funky! Yes, the same font on this Maxpro helmet as on my Marietta. Perhaps Marietta (Maxpro)had a local decal company...

Help...

genius
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm not a helmet expert but my experience is that even on the clear shells, the Steelers decal was always put on top of the shell. However, that doesn't mean that there wasn't a logo underneath as well. I think with the stenciled-font logo that these could have been put on the helmet and then during games a decal with the correct font was placed over it. Those decals then were eventually removed, leaving the logo that you see under the clear shell. Stickers were replaced frequently. This is the one plausible explanation in my opinion as I also have yet to see a photo of a stenciled-font logo in action. Try to see if there's any hint of sticky residue on top of the logo.

yosef777
01-09-2014, 10:49 AM
In my experience the MaxPro (formerly Marietta), Kelley and MacGregor factories often had different (wrong) or outdated decals from the team issued decals. (Helmut Hut has a few examples on their site. The Joe Washington Redskins (Kelley) helmet comes to mind immediately.)
Although the majority of the Steelers MaxPro clear shells did have decals on the top of the clear shell (while the black paint and gold stripe were under the clear shell) a few players did have the Steeler decal under the shell too.
In any case sounds like you have a great helmet, can you post some pics?

helmets
01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was a bit worried on my title that folks would think I was just looking for a Bradshaw photo-match of the Hunt helmet - which I would take, but also just looking for ideas, reasons, explanations, etc.

Here are some photos. The first two are of the helmet. You will notice a crack near the side facemask mount - which is why it was returned to Marietta for replacement. The sides were drilled twice for two different masks. The helmet is dated 1974 - so just entering the "Dynasty" period! As you can imagine the clips are long gone. I have not replaced them yet.

The next photo is of a decal on an RK helmet of mine, followed by a close-up of the funky-font on the Marietta decal and Hunt Bradshaw helmet.

beantown
01-10-2014, 11:21 PM
So I recently bought an early 70's Steelers game used Marietta clear shell helmet. Pretty excited when I got it. Looked it all over, looks great. Took some pictures of it, and wham-o...I noticed something funky. On the logo, the "STEELERS" seemed to be a different font than what I am used to. It is a bit smaller than "normal", but also the font is what I would describe as the "stenciled" Steelers font that we sometimes see, with gaps in the letters.

Huh? I have tried to style match the logo and have spent hours on the computer looking. Nothing. I have talked to fellow helmet collectors and "experts.". No luck. Perhaps Marietta had a local decal company and decaled the Steelers helmets with a different style. I have seen that before on other helmets, other teams from the 60's and 70's. I finally gave up after no luck in finding a style match - which as we all know can be difficult on the few small low resolution photos from the 70's. Unless you have an extreme closeup of the one side of the helmet that they wore a logo, straight on, you can't see $#!+.

So, there I was, looking through the Hunt Superbowl Auction. What? A Terry Bradshaw game used helmet? Wow, I gotta check this out! Looks good! Got a great letter or receipt from an original donation to a fund raiser. Nice! Wait...the logo...the font...it looks...funky! Yes, the same font on this Maxpro helmet as on my Marietta. Perhaps Marietta (Maxpro)had a local decal company...

Help...

Hello...I have seen the "stenciled" Steelers on their logo before...here is Mean Joe Greene wearing it on the inside of his clear shell Maxpro helmet. As for the Bradshaw in Hunt's Super Bowl Auction, I would like to see ONE photo of Bradshaw wearing that style facemask or the warning decal on the left rear of the helmet...

steelbella
01-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Isn't the Bradshaw in Hunts also dated an 83?

He played less than one quarter of football the entire 83 preseason and regular season, then retired.

The helmet is described as having great use.

Between the facemask that I believe is off and has already been pointed out and the fact that the use doesn't add up to the amount of time he was on the field that year, I have serious doubts about its authenticity

yosef777
01-11-2014, 08:20 AM
I agree the mask is not the norm but they are easily switched/changed etc. and Bradshaw did wear several different style masks thoroughout his career. (He wore two similar Dunguard masks, the DG 105 and the DG 205, in the early 70's and two nearly identical but slightly different Schutt OPO, green dot masks in the late 70's.)
What is more troubling to me, (in addition to the previously mentioned date code and label markings), is the fact that so many Steelers wore MaxPro's in that era. Which, in my mind, creates lots of room for reappropriation of a player's identity. This is especially questionable, IMO, for a fund raisng auction where provinance, authenticity, etc. could be minimized.
Reminds me of the Johnny Unitas helmet that sold at auction for a large amount of money a few years ago. If I remember correctly it was given to a young kid who was a family friend of the equipment manager of the Colts. The young kid, now an adult, claimed the EQ manager told him that is was Johnny's game helmet. Only one problem, it was a completely different brand and model (MacGregor or Rawlings I believe) from what Johnny wore (a Riddell) throughout his career.
In any case, a Steeler's clearshell MaxPro is highly coveted and collectable (with or without authentication of player usage) and therefore a very valuable piece, IMO.

helmets
01-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Hello...I have seen the "stenciled" Steelers on their logo before...here is Mean Joe Greene wearing it on the inside of his clear shell Maxpro helmet.

Thank you Beantown - appreciate the help and the photo of Greene.

RKO18
01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Link to the Pro Football Hall of Fame's artifact archive, including Joe Greene's helmet here:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/2011/6/12/joe-greenes-helmet/

War Helmets
03-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was a bit worried on my title that folks would think I was just looking for a Bradshaw photo-match of the Hunt helmet - which I would take, but also just looking for ideas, reasons, explanations, etc.

Here are some photos. The first two are of the helmet. You will notice a crack near the side facemask mount - which is why it was returned to Marietta for replacement. The sides were drilled twice for two different masks. The helmet is dated 1974 - so just entering the "Dynasty" period! As you can imagine the clips are long gone. I have not replaced them yet.

The next photo is of a decal on an RK helmet of mine, followed by a close-up of the funky-font on the Marietta decal and Hunt Bradshaw helmet.
Hi Helmets,I finally have the answer to my question.Thanks for this post from a few months back.I have a chance to buy a 80's team issued funky font Steelers lid.Is the funky font a glossy thicker gauge than the more classic paper thin one?