PDA

View Full Version : Protecting items from dust and sunlight

Abigballs
01-04-2014, 05:04 PM
1. Which items do you have out in the open (not protected by a case)?

2. If you do have items out in the open, how do minimize damage from dust and sunlight?

For example, I have Jersies and baseballs displayed out in the open. I have them displayed in a basement with not a lot of natural light to limit fading from sunlight damage or a wipe them down with a clean white cloth every few months to limit dust/cobwebs.

jake33
01-04-2014, 06:19 PM
I have my items in a very low light basement. Also have a humidifier in the summer when needed. The big thing though is switching to LED lights from regular lights and those squiggly lights. LED lights don't give off UV Rays, witch will help autographed items.

Abigballs
01-04-2014, 06:26 PM
I have my items in a very low light basement. Also have a humidifier in the summer when needed. The big thing though is switching to LED lights from regular lights and those squiggly lights. LED lights don't give off UV Rays, witch will help autographed items.

Thanks for the tip, do you do anything for dust?

BU54CB
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
I display my GU jerseys on mannequins and take them off every 2 weeks, shake them off and rotate with others if I choose.

All my other items are in display cases or on shelves. Everything is displayed in a room with shades that block all direct sunlight.

salukidave
01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
This should go without saying, but anything of value should be protected. That means not leaving them out in the open.