PDA

View Full Version : Ever try to buy an item when seller makes a bad prediction on the athlete?

jake33
01-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Just curious if this ever happens to you when you are trying to buy an item, as this happened to me 2 times in 2013.

Ok, let's say you want to buy an item and make a reasonable fair market offer for it. The seller then says no and states something like "I can't take that price, this guy will have 17 sacks this year" or "I think I am going to hold on to it, because he is going to hit 40 homeruns this season."

I don't like when sellers do that, because really there is not accountability for making that statement. Yes, a seller can do what they want. I don't like the hearsay talk when a claim is made about a traceable future production and the production is not met. Just say that you don't want to sell it at that price, rather than throw smoke and mirrors fake excuses.

It implies that my offer of $500 for an item which the seller wants $1000 for is valid for those expectations to be met. What if the expectations are not met and that item is STILL for sale? No accountability.

This happened for 2 jerseys this year.

1) On a GU Gerald McCoy Buccaneers jersey, I offered $500, seller wanted $800 and said "Gerald will lead Tampa to the playoffs this year (2013 season) and have 14 sacks." Both things did not happen, so I go back to the seller and requited him from August and then says he just can't sell it for that amount with no reasoning or acknowledgement of his previous statement.

2) Johnny Damon Rays jersey - Seller said Damon would surpass 3,000 hits in 2013, instead he retired. This seller did somewhat lower his price though.

jake33
01-04-2014, 03:41 PM
I am not referring to buying an item and expecting the player to do well and the player fails.

I am referring to prior to the purchase the statement by the seller is made, the item does not sell and by the end of the prediction the item is still available, with expectations unreached.

AWA85
01-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Know what you mean, think people are trying to get the most out of an item even if that value isn't realistic at the present time. I have heard a lot of the "This player is the next......" and insert any All Star or Hall of Fame name to a low level minor league prospect.

gaytorhater703
01-04-2014, 05:23 PM
maybe you should have made a deal with him sort of like a bet....if the player does reach the stat goals then its his price, and if he doesnt then its your price......the seller would have to agree to not sell until the season is over.....but it could be a pretty exciting way to pass the time while waiting on the purchase of an item

TwinLakesPark
01-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I would think that $800 for a McCoy jersey is a steal, especially if it had good use.

jake33
01-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Actually, I tried making the "bet" with a seller on a bold prediction and even have offered money before if his prediction didn't hold up.

I bought a Davin Joseph Buccaneers game used jersey.

The seller said Davin is a future HOF'er which I greatly debate.

IF Davin ever makes the NFL HOF, I owe the original seller $100, since he gave me $135 off his original asking price.

danesei@yahoo.com
05-22-2014, 04:42 AM
Just curious if this ever happens to you when you are trying to buy an item, as this happened to me 2 times in 2013.

I'm not sure this can really be an issue, though. I mean, the only time I've ever made a comment like that, I told the buyer:

I'm pretty sure Miggy is going to win a second MVP this year (the week before the MVP award would be announced), and if I don't sell it today, I'm leaving on a trip for Asia for two months. I have no one who would be able to send the item out after the MVP award is won, so I'm selling it today for about 60% of what I think it will be worth after he wins.

The buyer said:

If he doesn't win, will you give me $200 back?

I told him:

Sure, if you promise to send me an additional $400 if he does (about 25% of the post-MVP projected value).

He ended up buying the item, and I never heard from him again. :D So, it works both ways. I can see asking the seller for a rebate if the event doesn't occur, but it only seems fair to off-set the additional risk with compensation going the other way (as stated in the $100 for $130 HOF situation).

Personally, I feel that someone prices an item based upon an expectation of future value. That's natural. If the buyer thinks it will be worth that future value in the future, they're willing to risk a bit today, as well.

xsentrixsupra
05-22-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure this can really be an issue, though. I mean, the only time I've ever made a comment like that, I told the buyer:

I'm pretty sure Miggy is going to win a second MVP this year (the week before the MVP award would be announced), and if I don't sell it today, I'm leaving on a trip for Asia for two months. I have no one who would be able to send the item out after the MVP award is won, so I'm selling it today for about 60% of what I think it will be worth after he wins.

The buyer said:

If he doesn't win, will you give me $200 back?

I told him:

Sure, if you promise to send me an additional $400 if he does (about 25% of the post-MVP projected value).

He ended up buying the item, and I never heard from him again. :D So, it works both ways. I can see asking the seller for a rebate if the event doesn't occur, but it only seems fair to off-set the additional risk with compensation going the other way (as stated in the $100 for $130 HOF situation).

Personally, I feel that someone prices an item based upon an expectation of future value. That's natural. If the buyer thinks it will be worth that future value in the future, they're willing to risk a bit today, as well.

I agree, but in your case it appears a little different as you were already dealing with a HOF caliber type of player and someone who was already putting up good stats. I think what the OP was eluding to was people who sell based on the type of reasoning people draft 19 year old kids in the NBA, potential. They feel they'll grow into the type of player Miggy has grown into, not someone who is already adding credentials to an already brilliant career.