PDA

View Full Version : Question on 87 Cubs Spring Training Jerseys

zfowl
12-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi. I recently came across a Chicago Cubs pinstriped home pull over jersey that is tagged as Set 2 for 1987. The number of this jersey is 43.

Dennis Eckersley wore this number in 1986, and he was with the Cubs through spring training of 1987 before being traded to Oakland on April 3.

My question is this: Did the Cubbies wear home pinstripes during the spring, or did they have a different, less expensive jersey to pit out in the Arizona heat? The shirt I have does show some use, but that might be from some other player, perhaps inthe minors. I'm confident this jersey was purchased with Eck in mind, but I am not sure at this point if he ever used it.

As a related question -- and this might be something I could find with a search of previous posts -- do teams issue both sets at the beginning of the season, or do they hold one back until later in the year? I think I read that some (star) players may have several sets in their locker should they decide to change to a dry shirt during the game, so perhaps they get them all at once. Obviously, though, if set 2 is not issued until, say, after the All-Star break, Eckersley never even saw this jersey, let alone wore it.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'd rather not guess at this as I post it to eBay.

Zeb