PDA

View Full Version : Mike Schmidt phillies games used bat

Abigballs
12-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Curious what you guys think about this bat that recently sold on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121238428242

Hoosier39
12-21-2013, 12:12 PM
It's fine, just in rough shape.- broken in two, pieces missing etc

Abigballs
12-21-2013, 12:33 PM
I was mostly concerned with the authenticity. After doing some research I found a similar bat knob. It also was a 1983 from batch 195 with a large 20 with a small 32. Based on this 2nd pic would you be confident that this was game used? Secondly, what would you estimate a bat like this is worth?

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball-box-breaks/321559-2012-topps-tier-one-12-box-case-schmidt-bat-knob.html

metsbats
12-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Looks like a legit Schmidt pro model Rawlings bat based on the stamping on the knob. MS20 is the model and lot and year numbers. The center labeling is from late 79-83. Looks like it's stamped 195 3 perhaps? Rawlings factory wrote in pen the weight of the bat which is 32 ounces.

I"m not a Schmidt expert so cannot comment on the use on the bat and whether if it's consistent with his bats.

metsbats
12-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I took the photo of the knob off the auction.

Abigballs
12-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I asked the seller and he told me it was 195 3. I believe 195 is the batch and the 3 represents 1983. Knowing this matches the bat knob card in my other post would you be confident in purchasing as game used? How much is a bat like this worth?

Abigballs
12-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Just a little more evidence why I think it is the real deal. This psa certified schmidt gamer looks very similar

http://www.digitalfm.com/gameusedbats/itemDetail.cfm?sku=5226

Hoosier39
12-21-2013, 02:01 PM
I told you it was fine but just in rough shape, that now looks to be used by Schmidt in 1983. Everything on it is fine. It was originally purchased with about 5 other gamers that all looked fine.

That being said, in the shape it's in, maybe $300-$375.

Hoosier39
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
I told you it was fine but just in rough shape, that now looks to be used by Schmidt in 1983. Everything on it is fine. It was originally purchased with about 5 other gamers that all looked fine.

Also, the seller is a member on here...

Abigballs
12-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by "fine" this is my first ebay purchase and I heard a lot of horror stories about fakes. I did my research and found the two pics before purchasing, just wanted some more opinions (noob question I guess). I am a little surprised of your value estimate. I personally like beat up gear, so I don't mind the condition, since it is just for my personal collection and not for resale. I just wanted to know if the price I paid was fair (I guess I overpaid by $100ish). I'm a life long phillies fan and schmidt will always be my favorite. Thanks again I appreciate the response

Hoosier39
12-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by "fine" this is my first ebay purchase and I heard a lot of horror stories about fakes. I did my research and found the two pics before purchasing, just wanted some more opinions (noob question I guess). I am a little surprised of your value estimate. I personally like beat up gear, so I don't mind the condition, since it is just for my personal collection and not for resale. I just wanted to know if the price I paid was fair (I guess I overpaid by $100ish). I'm a life long phillies fan and schmidt will always be my favorite. Thanks again I appreciate the response

Sure thing. It could be more than what I say, it's just my opinion and what I would probably offer.

If you felt comfortable with what you paid, and really wanted the bat/like it, that's all that matters.

Abigballs
12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Yes, I'm fine with the price I paid and happy with my decision to buy it. Also glad it came from a forum member than a random ebay member. Just curious about the user id of the seller, I'd rather do business with him on here versus ebay (prob save a few bucks avoiding ebay seller fees). Thanks again.

Nnunnari
12-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Even though you like your items beat up, you have to be mindful of the condition when determining the value. When you see a bat in this kind of condition, it leaves open a strong possibility that the bat was passed on by Schmidt and used by someone else, hurting it's value. Bats which are used and broken in game action typically don't look like this.
The good news is, you were able to pick up a legit Schmidt bat which was possibly used by Mike for a period of time for cheap. I hope you enjoy it.

Dewey2007
12-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Just curious why, in your opinion, the bat in this condition would leave open the strong possibility that the bat was used by someone else?

There doesn't appear to be a number change on the bat that is pretty common when another player uses a teammates bat. Maybe Schmidt wasn't happy after a particular at-bat and smashed it on the ground or in the dugout or just got sawed off like in the attached pic of him during an at-bat in the '83 World Series.

It looks like he got a HOFer's bat that is still in displayable condition at a pretty good price.

Even though you like your items beat up, you have to be mindful of the condition when determining the value. When you see a bat in this kind of condition, it leaves open a strong possibility that the bat was passed on by Schmidt and used by someone else, hurting it's value. Bats which are used and broken in game action typically don't look like this.
The good news is, you were able to pick up a legit Schmidt bat which was possibly used by Mike for a period of time for cheap. I hope you enjoy it.

Abigballs
12-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks Dewey, it sounds like you are confirming my thoughts. I'm glad I bought it, and glad someone agreed with my logic.

Nnunnari
12-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Dewey- I would have to see the bat up close but I would bet this bat was gifted to a friend/kid/family who then played with it in their backyard. The use does not seem consistent with big league use. There appears to be water damage on the knob and possibly barrel end. The flaking of the finish on the barrel suggests post play use. The cracks also look suspicious. The bat appears to have been cracked more than once, not to mention the tape job and removal. No other player's writing on the knob also makes me believe it was used by a kid. Again, I would have to see the bat up close. Is it one of Schmidt's bats? Yes. Is that his handwriting on the knob? Yes. Could have been used by him as well. I highly doubt he was the last person to use it or break it.
I was just trying to answer his question of why a bat which is beat up that much could negatively affect the value.
It's always a good idea to save up the extra money to buy a quality piece.

metsbats
12-21-2013, 10:35 PM
The knob of the bat seemed to have been sanded as there is bare wood on the surface. The knob surface should be consistent with the rest of the bat during the aging process. I agree with Nick that it may have been used after Schmidt cracked it.

Hoosier39
12-21-2013, 10:51 PM
If you guys are worried about bats being used by someone else after they are disposed of by the player because they are no longer usable for a game, and are concerned about it, then we should all consider getting rid of our gamers from 1920 to about 1990. Happened all the time- a bat cracked, player gives it to a kid and they tape it up for the sandlot.

I don't believe to think the knob was sanded down. Like I said, this was sold with about 6 other gamers that all appeared to be fine, including a Raines and Gary Carter gamer.

earlywynnfan
12-21-2013, 11:46 PM
I don't see a sanded knob, otherwise the stampings would be gone. I see water damage.

Ken

Nnunnari
12-22-2013, 12:38 AM
If you guys are worried about bats being used by someone else after they are disposed of by the player because they are no longer usable for a game, and are concerned about it, then we should all consider getting rid of our gamers from 1920 to about 1990. Happened all the time- a bat cracked, player gives it to a kid and they tape it up for the sandlot.

I don't believe to think the knob was sanded down. Like I said, this was sold with about 6 other gamers that all appeared to be fine, including a Raines and Gary Carter gamer.

Not quite sure what you're saying here Terry. I think you're agreeing that the bat was taped up and given to a kid who used it? Yes, I would definitely be concerned with that.
Just because the bat was sold with six other gamers that "appeared" to be fine, does not mean this bat is "fine".

metsbats
12-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Ken,

Would the "20" and "32" be affected by water damage. The ink marks look pretty dark which is why to me it looked sanded. I don't believe the stamping would be removed completely if the knob was sanded just to remove old markings.

I think the price paid for this bat was fair and up to par with its condition and use. Typically early 80's Schmidt gamers go for between 1K - 2500K.

-David

Abigballs
12-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback, for a 1st timer this has been very informative. Can't wait to take this baby to the batting cages and crush a few homers Shimty style. Haha, just kidding

MGHProductions
12-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey guys.
I was the seller as some of you mentioned. The bat was looked at by some other guys that I respect and had no concerns other than it was broke in 2. I don't believe it has secondary use. The tape is older on it as you can tell, and good luck hitting a ball with. It came with a 10 other game used bats which all had legit use . The knob isn't fooled with at all. Anyone ever try to remove marker from wood? You can tell when its tampered with. No water damage either. The bat was cracked and recovered at Olympic Stadium
You can always reach me at Bub13@aol.com if you have any concerns about my items
matt