PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions on a GU integrity issue

sportsnbikes
12-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Ok so here is the deal.

On the last day of the 2012 season, I was standing next to the KC Royals dugout. A guy next to me was handed a bat as Tony Abreu went in the dugout. The bat was a Salvador Perez bat with some good use. But, Sal didn't hand it up. The guy next to me got it. Later that night, the guy who got the bat sold it in the parking lot to a guy who I am familiar with as a GU bat collector. I know he sold it because when I saw him during the 2013 season, he told me he sold it that night. In the days following the purchase, the guy who bought the bat tried to get Salvador Perez's people to confirm that it looked like a bat he would've used. They obviously would not confirm it as they didn't see it pass hands and also because it has a tape job and no known bat of his has ever had tape.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. I walked into a sports card shop in Topeka Kansas about 60 miles from KC and I see on the shelf a Salvador Perez bat. I knew it was the bat from that day in 2012 because of all things it had the tape job. I inquired about the bat. The owner said he loved that bat and held onto it for awhile before deciding to put it on the shelf because it was awesome to own a Perez gamer. I pushed a little more about the bat and it's origin. The guy who bought the bat, I only knew his name and hair color, which was red. I brought up his name and desribed his hair. Yep, that's the guy who sold him the bat. I'm 100% certain it is the same bat. The shop is also located in the city where the guy lives.

My question is, do I say something to the owner? I know what the answer is but I just have a heart that feels so bad in situations like this and to see the joy on the guys face and the pride in having a gamer of Perez hanging on his wall was just too much. I want to go back to the shop and say hey man, I have to be honest with you, here's the real story on this bat. I surely can't let someone end up with that bat knowing the real story behind it and that it is not a true Perez gamer.

Opinions?

ironmanfan
12-21-2013, 11:24 AM
i'd let it go

3arod13
12-21-2013, 11:40 AM
i'd let it go

Why?

Hoosier39
12-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Which store was it if you don't mind me asking?

joetiger83
12-21-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm sure there will be opinions both ways, but I'd not get involved unless I was asked for an opinion by a buyer or the seller. If it is known that Perez doesn't use tape, than that should be a red flag (as it was) to any serious game used collector. The authenticity falls on the shop owner who should have done his research prior to purchasing it and offering it for sale. Just my 2 cents.

sportsnbikes
12-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Which store was it if you don't mind me asking?

I'd prefer not to say at this point. Topeka only has 2 card shops that I know of. I just feel so bad for the guy. He's really nice and just hate that he has essentially been ripped off. Then, unbeknownst to him the owner, a customer will get ripped off.

sportsnbikes
12-21-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm sure there will be opinions both ways, but I'd not get involved unless I was asked for an opinion by a buyer or the seller. If it is known that Perez doesn't use tape, than that should be a red flag (as it was) to any serious game used collector. The authenticity falls on the shop owner who should have done his research prior to purchasing it and offering it for sale. Just my 2 cents.

I think the problem is that the seller, is a person that has done business with the owner for several years. I believe he is what would be known as 'trusted'.

joetiger83
12-21-2013, 11:55 AM
I'd prefer not to say at this point. Topeka only has 2 card shops that I know of. I just feel so bad for the guy. He's really nice and just hate that he has essentially been ripped off. Then, unbeknownst to him the owner, a customer will get ripped off.

Honestly it sounds to me like you know what you want to do. Don't ignore your gut feeling. I wouldn't get involved but I wouldn't ignore that feeling either.

Roady
12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
I would write the store owner a detailed letter about what you know about the history of the bat.
I would sign it, include my phone #, and date it.
Don't do it anonymously. It will look much better if you declare who you are. It will also gives the letter a more genuine feel for the owner.
I would seal the letter in an envelope and mail it or hand it to him personally.
If you hand it to him, walk out. If he wants to contact you later, he will.
Let him do what he thinks is right.

cliffjmp33
12-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I like Roady's suggestion. I agree it may leave a bad taste in the owner's mouth, but also, it may make him pause to think about future purchases. Maybe even leave a mention of this site?

It sucks to be "taken" in a sense, but I think for a memorabilia store owner especially, it's not a bad thing to become as educated on items, especially ones you sell. Specifically if you know the item firsthand like you do this bat.

sportsnbikes
12-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I like Roady's suggestion. I agree it may leave a bad taste in the owner's mouth, but also, it may make him pause to think about future purchases. Maybe even leave a mention of this site?

It sucks to be "taken" in a sense, but I think for a memorabilia store owner especially, it's not a bad thing to become as educated on items, especially ones you sell. Specifically if you know the item firsthand like you do this bat.

Great idea. I think he should know about this site. He is primarily a card shop and knows that side of the business very well. I will be in Topeka to get my kids on Monday. If I have time with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season I may draft up a letter.