PDA

View Full Version : Cool idea- How would this fit in your collection?

tkettmn
12-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Heard about this briefly a couple of months ago but didn't think much of it.....Now that is it seemingly about to happen how do you feel about owning one of these?

My personal thoughts are that it is a very unique piece, but with anything rare like this they will prob start off rarely used and turn in to like every home game will have this in a couple of years or so.

Let me know your thoughts!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/spike-lee-brings-us-the-first-look-at-ray-allen-s--j--shuttlesworth--heat-nickname-jersey--photo-010200097.html

Roady
12-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I think the NBA has already fallen into the look at me league with the antics and the tattoo competitions.
This will just further the decline of what used to be a great game of skill and precision.
The degeneration of what once was a ballet of athleticism into the break dance of individualism is almost complete.

PAC
12-19-2013, 11:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7zDWrLa.jpg

jmeekins33
12-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm a big NBA fan and I don't like this idea.

woody1351
12-19-2013, 03:21 PM
not a fan of this move, it brings down the league to the XFLs level.

DJaeger22
12-19-2013, 03:35 PM
I like the jerseys with the sleeves better than these.

jake33
12-19-2013, 03:42 PM
The NBA is a poorly ran league.

I look a lot deeper at the problem with pro basketball , then go form there. A main issue is the sport itself. With only 5 players per team on the court at a time, it translates into a smaller number of player(s) being able to have an impact on the game, team, and franchise. This fact alone can easily turn off and on fans.

Also, the league does not get much attention until the new year hits and football goes away. This leads to early season games not meaning very much. The integrity of regular season game play has often been in question by groups of basketball fans.

All this leads to the way the game is being packaged. Look at all the marketing the NBA is doing right now. It is clearly being marketed to a young generation. Graphics, logos, the overall game presentation, basketball highlights on ESPN and other networks often play beat bed instrumental music that resembles generic hip hop. The promotional packages the league puts together, almost looks cartoonish, cheap, blantatly color and really in my opinion a second rate desperate for attention product.

In comparrison, look at the NFL - fans still like the classic NFL Films themes and Berman uses those for highlights. NFL Films actaully sells the imstrumental dramtic orchestra music directly to fans. It helps dress up the league and make it look and feel classic, not trending. Well, on the other hand Nike's uniforms in the NFL are a whole other story.

It is like the NBA has waived the white flag on the 25-40 year olds and is trying to reestablish itself with a younger fan base, and hoping they can grow up together.

Nicknames on the back? Another cartoonish, cheap thing to do to try to market the league in a nonserious manner. The NBA doesn't sell merchandise at the rate of any other major sport and theya re grasping at straws trying to develop that. I have lived iN Wisconsin most of my life and I am not sure if I have ever even seen anyone wear any Milwaukee Bucks garb.

Do you think Bird or Jordan would a big supporter of that junk when they played?

mbenga28
12-19-2013, 03:51 PM
so when the player scores, does the PA announcer call them by their real or nickname on the jersey?

worldchamps
12-19-2013, 05:58 PM
I like it a lot just wish it wasn't the Heat doing it, unless Lebron was forced to wear TRAITOR # 6

But didn't the Aba do this? Didn't Maravich wear a jersey that said Pistol Pete on back?

both-teams-played-hard
12-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I like it a lot just wish it wasn't the Heat doing it, unless Lebron was forced to wear TRAITOR # 6

But didn't the Aba do this? Didn't Maravich wear a jersey that said Pistol Pete on back?

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2207/e7mv.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6493/v2yt.jpg

genius
12-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Pitt basketball did this back in the very early 80s, on the shooting shirts. "Giss" is Darrell Gissendanner who sadly passed away recently. "Easy-E" is Sammie Ellis. "Chas" is Charles Williams. "O" is Dave Olinger. "J.R." is John Ryan. Some of them just had first names on the back, "Clyde" is the great Clyde Vaughan, "Steve" is Steve Beatty. If anyone has one of these jerseys please let me know! jflynn@hiddenlinksgolf.com

godwulf
12-20-2013, 11:30 AM
"I think it's a terrible idea," said player David "Spaz" Warren. :D

No, seriously, divorcing this idea from that silly hoops game, which I have zero interest in, I see nothing whatever wrong with it; I would love to see my Baseball team do it, and I'd love to have one or more of the jerseys in my collection. The only problem that I forsee is that not every player HAS a nickname...which would lead to management CREATING nicknames for those players, which would inevitably lead to some pretty lame nicknames. That aside, I think it's a very cool idea.

otismalibu
12-20-2013, 12:02 PM
It's an idea to try and sell a few more jerseys. How many truly iconic nicknames have their been in NBA history? A couple of them below.

http://www.wjm2234.com/ebay/86/ad-1987-spalding-NBA-stars.jpg

both-teams-played-hard
12-20-2013, 02:22 PM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4627/zyd3.jpg

tella27
12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
All the NBA is looking to do is sell jerseys. In the 90s when I was in school you would see people wearing NBA jerseys everyday. They were the old school Champion jerseys - Jordan, Bird, Magic, Penny - the game just isn't the same. This is why the NBA was trying out the sleeved jerseys - it would allow people to wear them around (the white t under the nba jersey isn't the look anymore). It's all about the all mighty dollar..

sox83cubs84
12-20-2013, 10:04 PM
The Atlanta Braves did this briefly in 1976. A alluded to earlier, there wore good nicknames (CANNON for Jim Wynn), so-so nicknames (RUFUS for Dick Ruthven) and lame-o ones (MAX for Maximino Leon). The whole idea died, however, at the hand of the rather humorless former commissioner, the late Bowie Kuhn. Kuhn put an end to it when Braves owner Ted Turner, after acquiring Andy Messersmith in an early season trade with the Dodgers, decided to add the name CHANNEL to Andy's #17 jersey, in an attempt to advertise one of his TV stations.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
The Atlanta Braves did this briefly in 1976. A alluded to earlier, there wore good nicknames (CANNON for Jim Wynn), so-so nicknames (RUFUS for Dick Ruthven) and lame-o ones (MAX for Maximino Leon). The whole idea died, however, at the hand of the rather humorless former commissioner, the late Bowie Kuhn. Kuhn put an end to it when Braves owner Ted Turner, after acquiring Andy Messersmith in an early season trade with the Dodgers, decided to add the name CHANNEL to Andy's #17 jersey, in an attempt to advertise one of his TV stations.

Dave Miedema

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/638/7klk.jpg