PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

VERIS#60
12-17-2013, 01:04 PM
I am shocked beyond belief. I will tell the whole story later tonight. I took the jersey to John's house to show him. What a day it was for him and me! I can't post pics with my smart phone. Could someone please contact me so you could post the photos of me and John? Thanks so much! Bruce

brucecaplinger@yahoo.com

ChrisCavalier
12-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I am shocked beyond belief. I will tell the whole story later tonight. I took the jersey to John's house to show him. What a day it was for him and me! I can't post pics with my smart phone. Could someone please contact me so you could post the photos of me and John? Thanks so much! Bruce

brucecaplinger@yahoo.com
Congratulations Bruce!

-Chris

VERIS#60
12-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Congratulations Bruce!

-Chris

Thanks Chris! I can't wait to post picks. I am not sure who was shaking more, me or John. Great story behind this jersey! Not only will Phillies fans appreciate this, but everyone. Thanks again!

VERIS#60
12-17-2013, 02:59 PM
If anyone could help me to post 4 photos, that would be great! Thanks!

ChrisCavalier
12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
If anyone could help me to post 4 photos, that would be great! Thanks!
Hey Bruce,

I'm headed out but will be back later this afternoon (PST). If you want to email the pictures to me, I'll see if I can post them when I return. I know this is important to you.

-Chris

swainer
12-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Here are the photos...can't wait to hear the story!

Peace!

John

VERIS#60
12-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Here are the photos...can't wait to hear the story!

Peace!

John

Thank you so much John for posting my picks! It is a great story and notice the endless smile on John's face. I think he teared up a little. I did...I will post story in a little bit. Thanks again! Love GUU!

VERIS#60
12-17-2013, 06:09 PM
OK, I only collect athletes from my small hometown of Chillicothe , Ohio. Some of the players are Neil Johnston(NBA), john Herrnstein(Phillies, Cubs, Braves), Elbie Nickel(Steelers), Dave Juenger(Bears), Greg Cook(Bengals), Grain Veris(Patriots), Scott Bailes(Mlb) and Ben Hartsock(current NFL). I went to john's house this morning with a box in my hand. After he invited me to the kitchen and have a seat, I said, ''What was some of your highlights of your career? No I in his team. ''Well, it was actually nothing good, the fall of the 1964 Phillies. He then told me the story, but I wasn't listening to well as I was shaking to death. I said, ''What was your best personal highlight? He said, ''Oh, that's easy, it would have to be my first major league home run''. He proceeded to tell me, but I already knew the story. It was September 24th, 1963, at SF with two outs in the ninth inning of a 4-4 ball game. John Herrnstein strolled to the plate to ph against Mr Perfect, Don Larsen. He proceeded to hit a fly ball to right field that he knew Willie Mays was gonna track down. Well, at Candlestick Park, anything is possible. The ball just barely made it over the fence. Phillies win 5-4. While doing some research on a #21 game used jersey of Herrnstein from 1962. I found he wore two numbers in 1963, #21 and #44. After further research, thanks to baseball almanac, he wore the jersey that was assigned to Marcelino Lopez, #44. I said,''John, do you remember what number you were wearing when you hit that first major league home run? He said,''Sure, #44''. I reached into my box and pulled out the jersey he was wearing and said,''Did it look something like this"? He said,''Oh my gosh, you have got to be kidding me''! He was moved to nearly tears as I was too. He raved and raved about my recent purchase in the Grey Flannel Auction. A Marcelino Lopez/John Herrnstein game used Phillies 1963 flannel. He even said he remembered Lopez chainstitched in the back collar of the jersey. He said he knew Lopez wore that for a month before both were sent to the minore at about or the same time. When John was recalled in September he was assigned #44, as Havey Kuene was assigned his number. I think I spelled Harvey Kuene right. I plan on displaying this jersey, along with some others, around town in some restaurants. It was a great day for us and even his wife! I will post one more story he told me later. Love GUU!

EricTheRed44
12-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Great story and pics! So... it being Christmas time and all... maybe you gift it to him? He looks too happy just to take it away from him!

Great find!

cjw
12-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Great story! Log that you both can share in the experience.

swainer
12-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Great story Bruce! That's what our hobby is all about! That's cool you're going to display it around town. I bet the thought crossed your mind to give him the jersey but it sounds like you'll enjoy the jersey just as much as he did. Congrats on the great pickup and experience!

ChrisCavalier
12-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

-Chris

VERIS#60
12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Another story John told me. He played in the first game at the Houston Astrodome. Before the game they had a big event honoring the first set of astronauts. He was fascinated since his Father and Grandfather were employed by NASA. He looked around in the dugout and said he was the only one there watching the ceremony. A guy walked in from the other end of the dugout and approached him. They talked about the space program and the guy said,'Where are you from''? John said, ''I'm from Ohio, how bout you''? He replied, ''How ironic, I'm from Ohio too''. He said he was in the second wave of astronauts. The guy went out on the field and hung out for awhile. After the ceremony he came back to John to shake his hand. John got excited and thought he better find out who this stranger was. He wanted to tell his wife the guys name in case he forgot and the guy had a great achievement. He said, ''By the way, what is your name''? The man replied, ''Neil Armstrong''.

Phil316
12-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Awesome stories thanks so much for sharing :)

VERIS#60
12-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Awesome stories thanks so much for sharing :)

You are welcome! John is a very soft spoken person and quite simply one of the nicest people I know. I can't wait to pay tribute to my hometown athletes by displaying my items so all can see.

VERIS#60
12-18-2013, 01:45 AM
One little correction on this. The player that took over Herrnstein's #21 was Harvey Kuenn, not Harvey Kuene. Also, in baseball almanac, Kuenn is not listed as playing for the Phillies until 1966. I did buy two programs and the numbers in question are correct. Kuenn is even in the box score of the game in which he hit the home run. Sorry, about the name misspelling.

3arod13
12-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Thanks for posting your story! A situation of a lifetime that not many get to experience. Congrats!!

helf35
12-18-2013, 10:19 AM
congrats, great story!

VERIS#60
12-18-2013, 06:05 PM
After a bit more research I found that Joel Gibson wore John's old #21 in 1963 before John was recalled. Also, John has the distinction of being on two different Hall of Famers rookie cards. The 1963 Topps card with Willie Sturgell and 1964 Topps card with Dick Allen.

perlman9
12-18-2013, 08:17 PM
From someone who lives a few miles up north on 23, a really great story!

mickeymbz
12-18-2013, 08:54 PM
great story... grail stories always are

VERIS#60
12-18-2013, 10:28 PM
From someone who lives a few miles up north on 23, a really great story!

Yes, Jason I believe you are a big OSU collector and from Hilliard or the Columbus area. I was waiting on one more unique item to contact the local paper. I hope they will do a story on the athletes and the items I have. Then, they can display eventually around town. As I tell people who think I'm crazy, ''I am just trying to preserve these relics of our rich sports history''. Chillicothe after all is Ohio's first and third Capital. Maybe when they are put up you can come down and take a tour of the items with me.

VERIS#60
12-18-2013, 10:32 PM
I just want to say thanks to everyone that has read this story and for all the kind words! John's wife had to take all the photos because I was shaking so bad. He just couldn't believe he would ever see that jersey again. Great humbled man!

perlman9
12-19-2013, 05:27 AM
Actually now on Michigan State and even closer in Roundtown!

VERIS#60
12-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Actually now on Michigan State and even closer in Roundtown!

Wow, I was in round town yesterday! We will have to get together after the holidays.

VERIS#60
12-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Great story Bruce! That's what our hobby is all about! That's cool you're going to display it around town. I bet the thought crossed your mind to give him the jersey but it sounds like you'll enjoy the jersey just as much as he did. Congrats on the great pickup and experience!

John, you are so correct. I took out a second mortgage to get this item. Never spent this much money on my wife the total time we have been together. We have been married 8 1/2 years. However, as I was there seeing his enjoyment, it did cross my mind to give it to him. Players in general don't care a darn thing about their equipment. Recently, they are more aware of the going rate for their game used items. They collect now more than ever. Remember Emmett Smith had it wrote up in his contract to get all of his items? If I keep it, everyone will see it including me. My man cave is a big blue Nike bag in my mom's garage on a shelf. It's now time to take it in for display. I will even get to see it more.

perlman9
12-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Wow, I was in round town yesterday! We will have to get together after the holidays.

Sounds like a plan!

thesteelcurtain58
12-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Wow. Great item. Even better story! One of the best holy grail stories I've heard.

Congrats!!

VERIS#60
12-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Wow. Great item. Even better story! One of the best holy grail stories I've heard.

Congrats!!

You are very welcome! You must be a steelers fan. I knew Steelers Hall of Fame tight end Elbie Nickel. I would go to his house and visit from time to time. Elbie played from 1947-1957. Another great humbled man! The Rooney family used to drive through Chillicothe and pick him up on there way to the Kentucky Derby. I have been so lucky. Almost all of the athletes I have mentioned I collect, I am either friends with or know on some type of level. Feel blessed...

G1X
12-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Bruce,

What a wonderful story! This is what collecting sports memorabilia is all about - putting a smile on everyone's face. Hope that you can one day land that elusive Dave Juenger Bears jersey.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League uniforms from 1974 and 1975

JDubbs73
12-21-2013, 08:35 PM
What a wonderful story! This is what collecting sports memorabilia is all about - putting a smile on everyone's face.
I couldn't have said it any better!

VERIS#60
12-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Bruce,

What a wonderful story! This is what collecting sports memorabilia is all about - putting a smile on everyone's face. Hope that you can one day land that elusive Dave Juenger Bears jersey.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League uniforms from 1974 and 1975

Thanks mark! That is way it was supposed to work out. As soon as I let the juenger go, this popped up. This was by far my biggest holy grail. I knew the 1963 Lopez away jersey was the one Herrnstein was wearing when he hit his first major league home run. I could not believe my eyes. If I would've obtained the Juenger, this jersey would have been out of reach. Things happen for a reason.