PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some bat display help

helf35
12-12-2013, 10:12 PM
My son just turned 2 so I know have the time to start working on my room to display my collection. I'm looking for help in several different areas but mainly bats. I'm looking for pros and cons on displaying bats in bat tubes. I have seen a lot of collections stored without them. Do they really make a difference as far as preserving them? Where is a good place to look for displays? I have also heard moisture is a concern with them. I have never had an issue with this but I thought about drilling holes @ the ends. Anyone have experience with this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

helf35
12-12-2013, 10:21 PM
I was looking @ something like this or even displaying each bat individually. Price seems a little high?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BASEBALL-BAT-DISPLAY-RACK-HOLDS-11-BATS-Great-Holiday-Gift-/201001717864?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecca2d068

cfern023
12-12-2013, 11:14 PM
These are the ones I use, I like the fact you can add a baseball to the bottom of it and display a signed ball too.

Usually you can snag one for around $25 or so from Michaels after their 40% off coupons, or 60% off display case, or 50% off any sale item (while it's already 20% off).

They accept competitors coupons too, so they are always cheap! Made of a wood or Woodlike material, with a door on them and a glass front. The door is what I liked, you can put the case up and just put the bat in it while it hangs - and remove it whenever you want.

http://www.michaels.com/Baseball-Bat-Display-Case/fr0656,default,pd.html

Brucefan32
12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
I use the Michaels ones myself ...they are great just get the coupon too save some dough.

Roady
12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
I have tried most display ideas and now I just use bat tubes and curtain tie back hooks.
The date on the pics are wrong, I just took them.

MercyMe78
12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Michaels x3

Make sure you find the newer cases though because the older cases do not allow you to remove the inserts that hold the handle of the bat and the barrel of the bat. If you can't remove it, the bat barrel will face the left hand side

Also I bought a few spaces to put on the bottom of the cases so I can stack them on top of each other. If you do not have the extra room, the cases can't open all the way and will start tilting one direction due to the hinges

and in case you know any teachers.. they get additional 10% off sale prices (not on top of coupons)

xpress34
12-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Michaels x3

Make sure you find the newer cases though because the older cases do not allow you to remove the inserts that hold the handle of the bat and the barrel of the bat. If you can't remove it, the bat barrel will face the left hand side

Also I bought a few spaces to put on the bottom of the cases so I can stack them on top of each other. If you do not have the extra room, the cases can't open all the way and will start tilting one direction due to the hinges

and in case you know any teachers.. they get additional 10% off sale prices (not on top of coupons)

If you want to make sure they are newer, look at the UPC code on the back.

If it is dated (in the numbers) either 2009, 2010 or 2011, do not buy. The ones that you can rearrange Horizontally or Vertically have date codes 2012 or 2013.

- Smitty

esigs
12-13-2013, 05:38 PM
I was looking @ something like this or even displaying each bat individually. Price seems a little high?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BASEBALL-BAT-DISPLAY-RACK-HOLDS-11-BATS-Great-Holiday-Gift-/201001717864?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecca2d068

I like the rack from eBay, but I agree the price is high. I would like to try to make it myself. Meanwhile, I used Velcro, twist ties and screws to hang bats inside tubes.

henson1855
12-13-2013, 05:47 PM
I use these BallCube tubes, they mount directly on the wall and you can connect them together. I overbought on the last order and still have about a dozen unopened I would part with, if anyone is looking for some. http://www.collectible-supplies.com/deluxefullsizebaseballbatdisplay-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

Steeleraddict
12-13-2013, 06:36 PM
What are the cons in using a bat tube? Thanks

Hoosier39
12-13-2013, 07:17 PM
I personally like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BASEBALL-BAT-DISPLAY-CASE-AVAILABLE-IN-BLACK-BROWN-OR-MAHOGANY-HOLDS-6-BATS-/281051519426?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item416ff9d9c2

Yep, a little pricey but they sure do look nice. Anyone know where they can be bought at a cheaper rate?

HawaiiSportsNut
12-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Here's 3 different bat displays that I have made.

This is the first display rack that I made. It holds 17 bats.
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2833/zv1k.jpg

This is a modular design. It leans against the wall & can be moved anywhere. Holds 16 bats.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/820/koyv.jpg

This is a prototype design. Hold bats 3 deep for a total of 33 bats. I have come up with a new design & I will build it after the holiday season.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/177/kkef.jpg

HawaiiSportsNut
12-13-2013, 07:22 PM
What are the cons in using a bat tube? Thanks

The bat tube can trap moisture in them, causing it to sweat. Drilling 1/8 inch holes in the ends of the tube/caps helps to eliminate the problem.

Steeleraddict
12-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Hawaii thanks.

And awesome display. Talk about going above and beyond. I would pay you if i had that many. Also, great collection. :)

helf35
12-13-2013, 08:34 PM
The bat tube can trap moisture in them, causing it to sweat. Drilling 1/8 inch holes in the ends of the tube/caps helps to eliminate the problem.

Awesome that's what I was leaning towards doing. I haven't had a problem with it yet but never want to take a chance. Does the same hold true for ball cubes or other ball cases?

helf35
12-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Wow that's impressive. Did you draw it up yourself or use an online blue print from somewhere?

helf35
12-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks all for the micheals advice. I will have to check them out this weekend.

Steeleraddict
12-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Hoosier,
That's a crazy price in my opinion. It's been a few yrs but I got something very comparable for a third the price. I'll try to locate info but it was def on eBay. BIN. My wood, nice stain, brass latches and a lock.

Hoosier39
12-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Hoosier,
That's a crazy price in my opinion. It's been a few yrs but I got something very comparable for a third the price. I'll try to locate info but it was def on eBay. BIN. My wood, nice stain, brass latches and a lock.

Yes please let me know if you found these for a cheaper price. I haven't bought these yet but I want to. They look really nice for more of your expensive gamers.

earlywynnfan
12-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Hey, Hawaii, in the pic where you can see the "Strittmatter" locker room sign, who makes the bat on the far right, the one with the large S and P? It has that horseshoe emblem like my early Mizuno bat in the Piazza thread.

Ken

HawaiiSportsNut
12-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Hawaii thanks.

And awesome display. Talk about going above and beyond. I would pay you if i had that many. Also, great collection. :)

Thanks Steeleraddict.

HawaiiSportsNut
12-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Awesome that's what I was leaning towards doing. I haven't had a problem with it yet but never want to take a chance. Does the same hold true for ball cubes or other ball cases?

I have never thought about that. It seems that the ball cubes are not that airtight so it should be OK, so there should be no need to drill any vent holes.

HawaiiSportsNut
12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Wow that's impressive. Did you draw it up yourself or use an online blue print from somewhere?

I just make rough sketches on a paper. It helps that I was a contractor before I had to retire due to health reasons. I built a workshop where I can construct all of my game used displays.

HawaiiSportsNut
12-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Hey, Hawaii, in the pic where you can see the "Strittmatter" locker room sign, who makes the bat on the far right, the one with the large S and P? It has that horseshoe emblem like my early Mizuno bat in the Piazza thread.

Ken

Hey Ken

The SP is a SurePlay bat from a Japanese player Hirotoshi Kitagawa. I got the bat from him when he played in the Hawaii Winter League back in 1996. He went on to play in the Japan Major League for the Hanshin Tigers & Orix Buffaloes.

loanapprover
12-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I have 4 of these on the wall, they hold 15 bats each. I prefer bat tubes but you can go without the tubes if you like. Nice quality solid oak. Can also double as a helmet holder too :)

CampWest
12-14-2013, 02:40 PM
At one point I had just put the tubes straight onto the wall... drilled small hole in the tube and a row of finishing nails... Had some vertical and some horizontal. Definitely an economical and easy display.

Steeleraddict
12-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Hoosier,
Try eBay...their name is display gift(s). Around 70-80$ for the medium size.

helf35
12-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I have 4 of these on the wall, they hold 15 bats each. I prefer bat tubes but you can go without the tubes if you like. Nice quality solid oak. Can also double as a helmet holder too :)

Did you make these yourself? Nice display.

loanapprover
12-14-2013, 09:57 PM
No I got them from this guy...does good work

http://www.staggsports.com/ProductHorizontalBat.htm

momen55
12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
slatwall. i love it.

EricTheRed44
12-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Momen55, this is more of what I had in mind.

Where did you get rack or whatver you'd call it that holds each side? Does it leave marks on bats at all or is it smooth and no issues?

Thanks

metsbats
12-23-2013, 12:43 PM
I have a closet which I mounted bat racks on each side. Top row is the 86 Mets and on the bottom row are the 2000 Mets.

Sportskansascity
12-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Did this to a few bats and it came out great. Very cheap to put up as well