PDA

View Full Version : Ebay transaction question/Bad Seller Warning

godwulf
12-11-2013, 10:39 PM
I guess I've been pretty lucky over the years, having had very few really bad transactions on eBay, and none of them recently.

However, on November 30th, I used the BIN option to buy a jersey from a Seller with the screen name 'shakespearerufus". An automatic confirmation message gave an estimated delivery date of Dec. 5th. So, when the 9th rolled around, I did the "Ask the seller a question thing", and when I selected "Where's my item?", I was directed into some kind of eBay complaint/mediation program. I stated that I still wanted my item, and was told that if I had not received either the item or a good explanation from the Seller by the 13th, I was to let eBay know and they would deal with it. At no time have I EVER heard directly from the Seller.

At this point, I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that I'm not going to get my jersey. My question is regarding feedback. I definitely want to leave this jerk negative feedback, primarily to warn off other potential buyers/suckers, but I don't want to receive retaliatory feedback from HIM, obviously. I seem to recall hearing several years ago that Sellers were no longer permitted to give negative feedback to Buyers, or something like that. What's the true story?

genius
12-11-2013, 11:07 PM
I don't think the seller can retaliate. Looks like someone else had the same experience with that person. This has happened to just about everyone but that doesn't make it any less disappointing!

beaglegypsy003
12-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I just had a decision from eBay made in my favor regarding a USFL program which I purchased on Nov. 6th. I emailed the seller three times with the first after Thanksgiving asking when it was mailed and if their was a tracking number before filing with eBay. The seller never responded. I still wanted the program but since I had no response at all I decided to ask for a refund. Once I settled and got my refund, the item was deleted from my account so I didn't get a chance to leave any feedback. Supposedly the seller cannot leave a negative feedback.

earlywynnfan
12-11-2013, 11:25 PM
I just recently sold a $6.50 football card. Stupidly, I mailed it regular mail. Well, it got lost. The buyer opened a case without ever directly emailing me. I said "hey, let's give it two weeks, and if it doesn't show, I'll refund the money." After two weeks, I emailed him and said "did it arrive?" The next morning, it's the ebay case people again, he's demanding his money back. I tried to refund him, but couldn't because ebay put a hold on my paypal account. So I emailed him "tried to refund you, but since you opened a case instead of just contacting me, you'll have to wait until ebay refunds you." As soon as he got his money, he leaves me a negative! (Saying I lied about shipping it! Yeah, I've been biding my time, accumulating 3000+ positives and a perfect rating just so I can scam this loser out of six bucks!!)

And no, I cannot leave a buyer a negative.

Ken

ChiGuy1
12-12-2013, 12:00 AM
There is nothing the seller can do to negatively impact your account. Since you paid, there can't be a non-paying strike, and there is no way a buyer can receive negative feedback. So I would block him if you sell to prevent any issues from them. Otherwise you should be in the clear.

Phil316
12-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Ebay has gotten so bad. The buyers hold all the cards now. Sellers have little options but to bow down to the buyer. I do not sell much on there anymore. Partial refund demands ect.... Horrible venue now for sellers.

But sellers all they can do is report a buyer for non paying and several other reasons. If you go and read the buyer forum on ebay there are several buyers getting kicked off too from sellers reporting them.

godwulf
12-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Just to clarify, I WAS going to simply ask the Seller what was going on, via the "Ask the seller a question" function, but when I clicked on "Where is my item?", I was AUTOMATICALLY directed to the place in the system where you "open a case". I was simply trying to contact the guy, not start anything official, but I had no other way to do it. I guess I could have checked "Other", rather then "Where is my item?", and probably avoided letting eBay know I had a problem that way, but I figured that at least one of us should be honest throughout the process, and I, for one, had done nothing wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the info, guys. I know there's one guy here on the forum who collects Joel Youngblood items - aren't you glad you didn't see this jersey before I did? ;)

Lunytune2
12-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Just to clarify, I WAS going to simply ask the Seller what was going on, via the "Ask the seller a question" function, but when I clicked on "Where is my item?", I was AUTOMATICALLY directed to the place in the system where you "open a case". I was simply trying to contact the guy, not start anything official, but I had no other way to do it. I guess I could have checked "Other", rather then "Where is my item?", and probably avoided letting eBay know I had a problem that way, but I figured that at least one of us should be honest throughout the process, and I, for one, had done nothing wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the info, guys. I know there's one guy here on the forum who collects Joel Youngblood items - aren't you glad you didn't see this jersey before I did? ;)

I did that a month ago and ended up opening a case like you did .... now I just use the "OTHER" option on the list.

Takuleechch
12-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Agree re buyer holding the cards
I had someone use the buy now option but not pay or reply to any messages. I look at his feedback and he has a couple of "positive" feed backs from other sellers saying he never paid.

That's the only thing a seller can do - leave a "Positive" negative feedback lol. It's stupid

NEFAN
12-13-2013, 03:23 PM

I always check the other block, no matter what the reason for my question.

NEFAN
12-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Agree re buyer holding the cards
I had someone use the buy now option but not pay or reply to any messages. I look at his feedback and he has a couple of "positive" feed backs from other sellers saying he never paid.

That's the only thing a seller can do - leave a "Positive" negative feedback lol. It's stupid

You do have the option to reply to a feedback given to you and it shows as part of their feedback. Ebay has gotten so bad for the seller I quit selling there.

godwulf
12-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Well, that was actually pretty painless. Ebay sent me an email on Friday, as promised, asking me what I wanted to do. I responded on Saturday that I wanted to "escalate" the process and let them make a decision, and they ruled in my favor and refunded my money the same day. Can't complain about that.

Over the years, I've occasionally sold stuff on eBay, nothing very pricey, but I've almost invariably paid for Signature Confirmation. It's only, what, a little over two bucks, and I'm guessing that it would be tough for a buyer to dispute that something got to him if it was signed for.

tella27
12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
eBay is getting horrible all around - people list things they don't have to just get a 30 day interest free loan. To top it off ebays system doesn't mark their account unless eBay has to refund the money to you. If the seller refunds your money on say the 29th day ebay say "hey they fixed the issue and all is good" it's just turning into a huge scam.

I bought a cheap item from overseas ($4) and waited almost 45 days. I contacted the seller and they just say to keep waiting. I checked their feedback comments and to my surprise they average about 60 negatives a month but since they sell around 8000 items a month their score stays high. Everyone complains that they didn't get their items. I'm sure a handful each month don't want to waste their time with a claim and the seller gets free money.

beachpetrol
12-16-2013, 01:11 AM
eBay is getting horrible all around - people list things they don't have to just get a 30 day interest free loan.
How do they get a interest free 30 day loan? I thought ebay refunded the money to the buyer as soon as ebay received delivery confirmation that the item was sent back. Also I think ebay holds funds for new sellers for something like 21 days or whatever.