PDA

View Full Version : Braves joining Hall of fame

coxfan
12-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Bobby Cox is elected to the Hall of Fame along with Joe Torre and Tony Larussa, it's just been announced. Don't forget that Torre won the 1982 western Division title as braves' manager, setting the MLB record with 13 straight wins to start that season. Torre was also one of the original Atlanta braves as a player.

If Glavine and Maddux follow in January, and Chipper Jones and Smoltz later, the Atlanta Braves will have 6 HOF inductees, with 5 of those coming from the 1991-2005 streak of division titles. Compare with the Yankees of the 1950's, with five HOF inductees, unless I've forgotten one:Mantle, Berra, Ford, DiMaggio, and Stengel.

MSpecht
12-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Here are a few HOF'ers to add to your 1950's Yankees list: Johnny Mize (1949-53), Phil Rizzuto (1946-56), Enos Slaughter (1954-59), and might as well add George Weiss (1947-60.)

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

xpress34
12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Here are a few HOF'ers to add to your 1950's Yankees list: Johnny Mize (1949-53), Phil Rizzuto (1946-56), Enos Slaughter (1954-59), and might as well add George Weiss (1947-60.)

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Mike -

Although they played for the Yankees, I'd argue both Mize and Slaughter are better known for their other clubs and neither went into the hall as a Yankee.

In fact I believe both went in as Cardinals due to their major contributions to that team.

- Smitty

ferro39
12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
surprised to see a little bit of backlash regarding torre.

the reasoning is that his yankee years were spent managing a bunch of steroid users and so his titles and wins with the team are tainted :rolleyes:

MSpecht
12-10-2013, 01:58 AM
No argument from me, Smitty.... Just noting that HOF'ers Mize and Slaughter, though not having their golden seasons with the Yankees, did significantly contribute and pick up some championship rings during the 1950's with the club.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

murfsteve25
12-10-2013, 05:05 PM
I still feel that Justice should have been elected...

Roady
12-10-2013, 05:31 PM
I still feel that Justice should have been elected...
Unless that is just sarcasm your HOF standards are much lower than mine, and even the writers who let in some very borderline players.

murfsteve25
12-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Unless that is just sarcasm your HOF standards are much lower than mine, and even the writers who let in some very borderline players.

Its probably just my bias opinion. But he was a star player though. Rookie of the year, all star appearances, world series champ, held the record for most post season hits too ( not sure if he still holds it though, doubt it) made it to the post season every year. Again, I'm probably just being bias

Roady
12-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Its probably just my bias opinion. But he was a star player though. Rookie of the year, all star appearances, world series champ, held the record for most post season hits too ( not sure if he still holds it though, doubt it) made it to the post season every year. Again, I'm probably just being bias

I believe you are just biased. But honestly, no way he ever gets in if players like Dale Murphy and Don Mattingly and even Will Clark are not in.

Jim Rice was a much, much better player and he is in but I believe even he is very HOF borderline.

coxfan
01-23-2014, 04:21 PM
It's been announced that Glavine and Cox will have Braves' logos with their plaques. But Maddux said that he couldn't choose between the Cubs and Braves, so he's opted for no team logo. Torre had significant time with the Braves as player and manager, but he's chosen the Yankees.

A few years ago Roger Clemens said in a strongly-worded manner that he would demand a Yankees' designation with his future HOF induction. It remains to be seen if he'll be able to realize that desire.

Roady
01-23-2014, 05:08 PM
I really don't like not choosing a team.
Maddux won his Cy Youngs and his World Series with the Braves.
He should have chose the Braves.

coxfan
01-23-2014, 05:12 PM
I overlooked that LaRussa also will not have a team logo, while Thomas will go with the White Sox. The statements of all six are on MLB.com

Roady
01-23-2014, 05:12 PM
And I forgot that Maddux won his first Cy Young with the Cubs.