PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Stan Musial 1985 Jersey - Spring Training, old timers, ceremonial?

rmfwc6
12-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Hello all,

So I collect baseball memorabilia but have not really dove in to game used stuff. That said, I bought this jersey on eBay earlier this year as a simple autographed Musial jersey, but some of the basic research I’ve done on it makes me wonder if it may have actually been used in some capacity by Musial.

I’ve attached a few photos to the post so you can see what I’m talking about. The tagging on the inside right front is Rawlings size 42, and says 1985 Set 1. These tags were a complete surprise to me when I got the jersey – they weren’t mentioned or pictured in the listing.

I’ve been able to find some other information here and some other places online that show this seems to match the tagging for Cards jerseys that year, and Musial did wear a size 42 from what I can tell. One thing that seems to put up a pretty big red flag for it being team issued is that the logo and numbers are printed on the jersey, not sewn on patches. This makes me wonder if it may have been a jersey issued for spring training, an old timers game, or maybe a ceremonial jersey (the Cardinals did go to the WS that year).

There’s a significant amount of dirt on the front of the jersey too. Unfortunately the seller couldn’t really tell me anything about it. He said he was selling it for a relative and couldn’t get any information on where it came from or anything like that. For some reason he said he thought it might be a minor league jersey, but would the Cards even issue a #6 to someone else?

I’ve poked around a little bit and seen people often talk about photo matching. I haven’t had much luck finding anything from Musial in 1985, except one old timers game in NY where he wore a jersey that was definitely not this one. Is there a good place to search through old AP wire photos from that era, or something like that? Again, I’m very new to this.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone had any ideas or experience with these to help me figure out if it might be something special. Thanks in advance for your time!

sox83cubs84
12-08-2013, 10:47 PM
It's a team issued piece, but the question is: which team in the St. Louis organization? The lack of a NOB suggests that this is a minor league jersey than one from the Majors. That doesn't mean Musial DIDN'T wear it but, barring photographic evidence, you can't assume he did, either. In the 1980s, Cardinals farm teams usually used the same flag tag that the MLB Cardinals did. Jeff (Scott), any thoughts?

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
12-09-2013, 12:30 AM
It's a team issued piece, but the question is: which team in the St. Louis organization? The lack of a NOB suggests that this is a minor league jersey than one from the Majors. That doesn't mean Musial DIDN'T wear it but, barring photographic evidence, you can't assume he did, either. In the 1980s, Cardinals farm teams usually used the same flag tag that the MLB Cardinals did. Jeff (Scott), any thoughts?

Dave Miedema

Agreed. The screen-printed logo and numerals points to minor leagues, without a doubt. The minors used year and set tags, also.

rmfwc6
12-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks, that helps a lot!

It's probably a fool's errand, but any tips on trying to track down photos from that era in an attempt to find him wearing it?

rmfwc6
12-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Also, does the screen print and no name on the back also exclude the chance that it could have been from spring training that year? I know I'm reaching a bit, but do we know what they used in spring training? I've read he liked to go most years in the 70s and 80s.

It doesn't really matter too much for this one since he obviously never played in it anyway (unless it was an old timer's game), so spring training is just as good as regular season to me. But I understand the only way to know definitively since I have basically no provenance from the seller is to find a photo. Just would love to know the story behind it.

Birdbats
12-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Definitely a minor league issue (the Cardinals didn't retire #6 in the minors, just at the MLB level), and unlikely it was used in spring training. I've never seen screened-on numbers on spring jerseys -- doesn't mean the kids on the back fields never wore them, but I'm just not aware of it. Almost zero chance Stan would have worn this. Remember, Stan was a god in St. Louis -- he wouldn't have a screen-printed shirt with no NOB. When Stan showed up, he had a real, pro jersey with his NOB.

rmfwc6
12-09-2013, 10:23 AM
OK, Thanks! That helps a lot. That'll save me some digging through old photos!