PDA

View Full Version : Who's our Babe Ruth, '52 Mantle or T206 Wagner?

Steeleraddict
12-08-2013, 11:16 AM
In general anything babe Ruth, 52 topps mantle and to some extent T206 wagner, tho has its own circumstances has steadily increased in value. The dreaded oft used "recession proof". Now even PSA 2,3 mantle cards go for good money. The other lesser HOF value tend to go the way of the economy.

So who is the Holy Grail of our generation?Who is a great investment, given iron clad provenance that will cut thru generations? Has to be an iconic figure. Tiger has taken a beating. More so because of his lack of dominance and Majors. Not his social life. Mick and babe have transcended their social life. Muhammad Ali? Just not enough of his stuff (robes, GU gloves) out there except autographs.

KGoldin
12-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Derek Jeter
It's obvious the Yankee torch has been passed to him! and although not as great as mantle , he is the gold standard in the game used universe, will retire a Yankee! join monument park and no one will ever wear #2 as a Yankee after him

KGoldin
12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Derek Jeter
It's obvious the Yankee torch has been passed to him! and although not as great as mantle , he is the gold standard in the game used universe, will retire a Yankee! join monument park and no one will ever wear #2 as a Yankee after him

And Michael Jordan
Both

ChrisCavalier
12-08-2013, 11:58 AM
he is the gold standard in the game used universe
Actually, I can think of a few members here that are the gold standard in the game used universe ;)

Steeleraddict
12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Be interesting to know who they are. Although some may want there anonymity. I'm just glad they're sharing. Wish more would.

Dewey2007
12-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I agree with Ken. As long as Jeter doesn't do anything stupid to tarnish his image he will be our generations Joe DiMaggio type icon. He's a Yankee, has 5 WS rings, & 3,000 hits.

I think Pujols was in that league until he went to the Angels. If he would have stuck with the Cards his entire career he would have been revered.

In basketball it's Jordan, Bird and Magic. In football, I think Brady and Manning are at the head of the class.

dangerzone79
12-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Derek Jeter & Tom Brady. Jeter is obvious for like 1,000 reasons. Brady is now Joe Montana. Also, as much as I detest the Lakers (and basketball in general, haha) does Kobe match up? I know Jordan is number one, but currently does Kobe rank?

Dewey2007
12-08-2013, 03:03 PM
While Kobe is obviously one of the greatest NBA players of all-time, to me he just doesn't fall into the same strata as Magic, Bird & Jordan. Maybe it's generational. I grew up with those three so maybe that makes me a little biased.

Derek Jeter & Tom Brady. Jeter is obvious for like 1,000 reasons. Brady is now Joe Montana. Also, as much as I detest the Lakers (and basketball in general, haha) does Kobe match up? I know Jordan is number one, but currently does Kobe rank?

both-teams-played-hard
12-08-2013, 03:49 PM
While Kobe is obviously one of the greatest NBA players of all-time, to me he just doesn't fall into the same strata as Magic, Bird & Jordan. Maybe it's generational. I grew up with those three so maybe that makes me a little biased.
I disagree. I think Kobe is the greatest Laker of all-time. For all L.A. residents a replay of Kobe's 81 point game is on tonight on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet.

Mac670
12-08-2013, 04:04 PM
We'll I have to admit I was always a Kobe Fan, but I always thought Magic was the greatest Laker ever. Until Kobe started to win championships without Shaquille, I realized that quite possibly Kobe was better. Today, hands down, Kobe is the greatest Laker. Why? Because, Magic says he is, Bird says he is the best and Michael Jordan thinks he is the only NBA player that could beat him in a basketball game. Those players opinions are the reason Kobe will go down as the greatest to ever put on the purple and gold.

ABL228
12-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Derek Jeter

Jeter stuff goes for a super premium because he is a Yankee. He is not even close as good a hitter as Miguel Cabrera. Jeter gets more publicity for running out an infield single than Miggy got for a TRIPLE CROWN!

Dewey2007
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
No arguments here that Kobe is the greatest Laker of all-time. IMO, I believe Magic is the most beloved Laker of all-time (although some might argue Jerry West) and him Bird and Jordan are more iconic then Kobe and their items with iron clad provenance are more desirable then Kobe's 24/7/365.

I disagree. I think Kobe is the greatest Laker of all-time. For all L.A. residents a replay of Kobe's 81 point game is on tonight on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet.

Steeleraddict
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
In 30 yrs a legit GU Jordan I think goes for way more than what a Kobe goes for. Jordan is a worldwide icon. His basketball cards still go for ridiculous prices. I understand Kobe in the LA market and Jeter in NY. But for me I have no desire for jeter. Still like Pujols gear. Too bad he moved. So baseball, hmmm?
Football...manning ESP if he wins in Denver, Montana?

I'm asking what's comparable say for ex a signed Ruth ball. Love to have a legit one. A PSA 7-8 mantle.

Steeleraddict
12-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Maybe one way to look at it is whos faked most...def Jordan gear vs Kobe gear. Tho yes Kobe is faked. But it's hard to find iron clad Jordan GU jersey.

Hence, over $50,000 for the penny marshal/Jordan jersey.

Mid five figures for the Brady jersey from NFL? Six figures for babes jersey

Dewey2007
12-08-2013, 04:57 PM
I think with the overexposure of athletes in this day and age you don't have the legend and lore that go with players like Ruth and Mantle so only time will tell what's comparable.

With that said, I don't think any trading card or auto'd ball of anyone from this day and age will ever approach what those type of players command.

In 30 yrs a legit GU Jordan I think goes for way more than what a Kobe goes for. Jordan is a worldwide icon. His basketball cards still go for ridiculous prices. I understand Kobe in the LA market and Jeter in NY. But for me I have no desire for jeter. Still like Pujols gear. Too bad he moved. So baseball, hmmm?
Football...manning ESP if he wins in Denver, Montana?

I'm asking what's comparable say for ex a signed Ruth ball. Love to have a legit one. A PSA 7-8 mantle.

Dewey2007
12-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Speaking of iconic athletes. Did you see what the Jesse Owens gold medal went for in the current SCP auction? A Ruthian 1.5 million!

Safe to say, nothing of Jeter's, Kobe's, Brady's, or Manning's will ever approach that!

Steeleraddict
12-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm not saying which reach the price levels but which reach the iconic status for our generation(s)?

Brees is amazing so is Marino but 40 yrs from now I think Montana, manning, maybe elway and farve surpass them by far at least in memory.

Throw out your local team affiliation. Which one item would you love as a holy grail today? Jordan finals GU? Jeter world series bat? Pujols ws 3 home run bat? Manning GU sb jersey with sb patch? Superbowl, finals or ws ring..jeter, Kobe?

both-teams-played-hard
12-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Speaking of iconic athletes. Did you see what the Jesse Owens gold medal went for in the current SCP auction? A Ruthian 1.5 million!

I hope that goes to a museum, not some billionaire hoarder's personal stash :eek:

toddhead
12-08-2013, 06:12 PM
I believe Cal Ripken Jr. needs to be in the discussion as well.

onlyalbert
12-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Too early to say for sure, but Trout is shaping up nicely. Hard to beat Pujols' first 11 years' numbers. Hope he comes back healthy next year.

NegleyPirate
12-08-2013, 07:45 PM
What about hockey? Mario & Crosby are my favorites

Steeleraddict
12-08-2013, 08:33 PM
As a pittsburgher, i agree with Mario and Sid. But I reluctantly have to give it to Gretzky as the icon.

Texans
12-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Does anybody have an idea how many Gretzky jersey are out there and the value? He has to be up in price