PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who is the core of the hobby?

Jeffredsfan
12-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I just returned from the Valley Forge Show in Valley Forge, Pa. (formerly, and certainly a heck of lot better, known as the Philly Show) with a friend of almost 40 years. We met in the mid 1970's and have been involved in the hobby ever since.

On our way home I asked Duane how many people walking the aisles at the show were UNDER the age of 50? My point being, once us "old timers" are gone, who will be the core of sports card hobby, and, what will happen to the current pricing structure if there isn't much interest? It doesn't take much thought to figure out what will happen to card prices - so is it now time to sell / get out of the hobby while card prices are still high?

What about the game used sector of the hobby? Duane and I fall into this category more than any other area of the hobby. Since there are very little opportunities to buy game used items at these shows, or at least opportunities to purchase realistically priced items, what is the age group that makes up the majority of the game used sector?

I'd be interested to find out from other hobbyists as to what direction this hobby is going. Is it headed towards extinction or is it moving strongly into the future?

KGoldin
12-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Trading cards?? 40-80
Game used 13-60+

If we are talking strictly age group
And I type this as a member of the 40+ Age group

Steeleraddict
12-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Trading cards..prob a slow decline. Form the vintage cards that is. Kids not interested in 60-70's. Want the chrome refractors etc

GU..strong. NFL is so popular with all age groups. I'm not interested in a Paul harnung jersey tho. 70's on up. So the kids won't be interested in my Bradshaw or Mel Blount GU.

JDubbs73
12-07-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm brand new to 40. Have been collecting game used items for about 6-7 years now. Would have started earlier if I knew it existed as a hobby. As a kid, I collected sports trading cards but stopped by my teens.

I tend to believe the card market is a declining one, but I say this being away from it from many years. I don't see them retail the way they once did where I live (South Florida).

Conversely, I see the GU hobby as being on the rise. Access to these items and the number of items worn a year by players seem to be at all time highs.

I think Ken's core age ranges are pretty accurate, but I would increase the game used starting age to the early to mid-twenties. At least as it relates to purchasing.

KGoldin
12-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm brand new to 40. Have been collecting game used items for about 6-7 years now. Would have started earlier if I knew it existed as a hobby. As a kid, I collected sports trading cards but stopped by my teens.

I tend to believe the card market is a declining one, but I say this being away from it from many years. I don't see them retail the way they once did where I live (South Florida).

Conversely, I see the GU hobby as being on the rise. Access to these items and the number of items worn a year by players seem to be at all time highs.

I think Ken's core age ranges are pretty accurate, but I would increase the game used starting age to the early to mid-twenties. At least as it relates to purchasing.
Running an auction house, I can tell you parents are buying items( albeit less expensive ones) as gifts for their kids in high school...

JDubbs73
12-07-2013, 07:26 PM
That makes sense. I was coming at it from a means perspective. Didn't factor in parents involving their kids and passing along the hobby.

paul457
12-07-2013, 10:05 PM
IMO, the card industry is where people start, so anywhere between 5 - 80 years old.

The GU hobby is much more expensive, and requires more knowledge, so I'd put the age range starting higher, maybe 25 - 80 years old.

The GU hobby is trending upwards right now, but IMHO this hobby will only survive if all the teams start selling their GU stuff (instead of 2nd / 3rd hand sources) and include tamper-proof COAs or unique serial #'d tags from the team. There's already too much fraud, and too many fakes in this hobby.

With the hobby trending upwards, we're about to get flooded with stuff. It needs to be structured or it will end up just like the card industry...

ethanoah
12-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I had this conversation with my brother last week. We came to the conclusion that psa graded commons from vintage sets will take the biggest hits in the coming years.

cohibasmoker
12-08-2013, 08:30 AM
I just returned from the Valley Forge Show in Valley Forge, Pa. (formerly, and certainly a heck of lot better, known as the Philly Show) with a friend of almost 40 years. We met in the mid 1970's and have been involved in the hobby ever since.

On our way home I asked Duane how many people walking the aisles at the show were UNDER the age of 50? My point being, once us "old timers" are gone, who will be the core of sports card hobby, and, what will happen to the current pricing structure if there isn't much interest? It doesn't take much thought to figure out what will happen to card prices - so is it now time to sell / get out of the hobby while card prices are still high?

What about the game used sector of the hobby? Duane and I fall into this category more than any other area of the hobby. Since there are very little opportunities to buy game used items at these shows, or at least opportunities to purchase realistically priced items, what is the age group that makes up the majority of the game used sector?

I'd be interested to find out from other hobbyists as to what direction this hobby is going. Is it headed towards extinction or is it moving strongly into the future?

I was at the same show - lots of grey hair on both sides of the isle. I did notice that there were collectors trying to fill-in their card sets. Instead of using a pen and pad, some were using their lap top. The dealers are the same - their items are worth hundreds of dollars while our items are worth pennies.

Jim