PDA

View Full Version : Chicago White Sox 1990's Wilson vs Russell Home Jerseys

TwinLakesPark
11-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I am doing some homework while looking at purchasing a few White Sox jerseys. It looks like they wore both Wilson and Russell home white jerseys between 1993-1998, which I was able to confirm scrolling through Getty Images and looking at the sleeve logos. The Wilson's are tagged with player name, year and set number, whereas the Russell's are only tagged with player number, size, and year.

(1) Does anyone know the story behind this, or is there no story?
(2) Was it player choice or did they have a complete set of each?
(3) Has anyone seen a Wilson & Russell of a single player for the same year?
(4) Are the Wilson's or Russell's considered more rare/collectible?

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

-Wes

joelsabi
11-28-2013, 09:33 AM
I am doing some homework while looking at purchasing a few White Sox jerseys. It looks like they wore both Wilson and Russell home white jerseys between 1993-1998, which I was able to confirm scrolling through Getty Images and looking at the sleeve logos. The Wilson's are tagged with player name, year and set number, whereas the Russell's are only tagged with player number, size, and year.

(1) Does anyone know the story behind this, or is there no story?
(2) Was it player choice or did they have a complete set of each?
(3) Has anyone seen a Wilson & Russell of a single player for the same year?
(4) Are the Wilson's or Russell's considered more rare/collectible?

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

-Wes

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=72744&postcount=13

sox83cubs84
11-28-2013, 09:36 PM
The dual manufacturer status began in 1992 with only the grey jerseys, as many of the original order from Russell faded to the point where shirts and pants were different shades of grey to an obvious degree. The greys were re-ordered from Wilson after the season started.

As of 1993, both companies supplied the Chisox, and players chose what to wear, as Kingjammy said. While Wilson uniforms were also made for 1999, I have no photos showing them actually being worn that year.

Dave Miedema