PDA

View Full Version : Prince's new Rangers number

sox83cubs84
11-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Word is that the newest Rangers slugger, Prince Fielder, will be wearing number 84 on his jersey in 2014, the first Ranger to wear 84 outside of spring training. Fielder didn't want to go to deeply into the "why", but did explain that the choice was made for a "fresh start" and that 84 was the year he was born.

Dave Miedema

AstrosGU
11-26-2013, 11:11 PM
http://dailyrepublic.s3.amazonaws.com/files/2013/11/26-Fielder-WEB-1024x694.jpg

swainer
11-27-2013, 07:38 AM
And 84 is also the last year his former team won the World Series. He might as well wear the #1 in the form of a middle finger and change his last name to Detroit!

mbrieve
11-27-2013, 08:01 AM
And 84 is also the last year his former team won the World Series. He might as well wear the #1 in the form of a middle finger and change his last name to Detroit!

We would have appreciated if he hit at all during the month of October and maybe we would have had a WS title in 2012 and/or 2013.

swainer
11-27-2013, 09:23 AM
We would have appreciated if he hit at all during the month of October and maybe we would have had a WS title in 2012 and/or 2013. +1 I wish things would have turned out differently with Prince and the Tigers. He's a likeable guy but the perceived indifference about losing to the Red Sox and his "contribution" to that loss probably sealed his ticket out of town.

joetiger83
11-27-2013, 10:56 AM
I share in the frustration that my fellow Tiger fans express. I also share in the disappointment in the fact that things didn't turn out differently. Prince to his credit or detriment is who he is and this was obvious in his interviews in Detroit and in his first interview in Texas. Maybe Ranger fans can accept him for everything he is and everything he isn't, Detroit fans for the most part could not do that.

I personally feel though that his number 84 has nothing to do with the Tigers last championship. It might be a happy coincidence (in his eyes) but I highly highly doubt he chose a number to insult a team and fan base that he no longer plays for. If I'm wrong, I'll own it, but I'd be shocked that he cared enough to even get angry enough to mastermind that cheap shot

Go Tigers!

metsbats
11-27-2013, 11:43 AM
In an interview with USA Today Prince claims that the number 84 was chosen because he was born in 1984.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/11/25/prince-fielder-will-wear-no-84-next-season-with-texas/3704771/

rufusandherschel
11-27-2013, 12:24 PM
"I personally feel though that his number 84 has nothing to do with the Tigers last championship. It might be a happy coincidence (in his eyes) but I highly highly doubt he chose a number to insult a team and fan base that he no longer plays for." JoeTiger83

+ 1

Roady
11-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Fielder was the 2nd best hitter on the team and Detroit fans are happy to see him go and to get Kinsler who will be lucky to hit .250 with 13 HR's.
I really don't understand it.
Remind me again what Cabrera hit in the post season.

swainer
11-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Fielder was the 2nd best hitter on the team and Detroit fans are happy to see him go and to get Kinsler who will be lucky to hit .250 with 13 HR's.
I really don't understand it.
Remind me again what Cabrera hit in the post season.
I was not happy to see him go. It was smart to shed that crazy contract but I'm bummed he's gone. Miggy couldn't walk and still out performed Prince though. Oh and he hit .262 I believe.

I agree that he probably didn't choose 84 to snub the Tigers. If so, he'll have to change his number to 14 next year!!!! Bazinga!!!!

Peace!

John

mbrieve
11-27-2013, 02:41 PM
I was not happy to see him go. It was smart to shed that crazy contract but I'm bummed he's gone. Miggy couldn't walk and still out performed Prince though. Oh and he hit .262 I believe.

This pretty much sums it up. I didn't have any animosity towards Prince (and he was my 3-year-old son's favorite player). I think most fans saw the contract as an anchor around our necks. Nobody wants to see Scherzer or Miggy leave and Prince being shipped off makes many fans believe those two will now stay (although, that is yet to be seen). Also, the postseason comments struck a lot of people the wrong way.

Postseason - 24 games played for the Tigers, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, .195 batting average (and some atrocious baserunning).

Again, I'm not happy to see him go, but I think it was the right move for our team.

Roady
11-27-2013, 03:08 PM
I can understand the contract standpoint.
Just remember that the Tigers are just as responsible for that. Many said it was too much for a player that was on the decline.
Still, he was the 2nd best hitter on the team even with a decline.