PDA

View Full Version : Have a relative that may get drafted in the NFL

jake33
11-26-2013, 04:54 PM
I have a close relative that may get drafted in the NFL in 2015. He knows how much I am into the game used hobby. When he becomes a pro and away from the NCAA restrictions, I was tinkering with the idea (have not mentioned it to him yet whatsoever) of running all his game used memorabilia for him. Allowing fans to buy gear before games are played. Gloves, cleats, maybe helmet at the end of the season and jerseys.

Also running autographs for him. He isn't a skill position player, so the market for role player NFL players, does not seem to big. I seems like right when the NFL draft happens, merchandise for even 5th round draft picks hits it's peak and then even after a decent career, they fade away.

Just curious on thoughts on how to maximize this for him.... I honestly would not even make a dime doing this, it would probably be set for a charity or some foundation.

Steeleraddict
11-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Off the top of my head..What would be important to know first is... What position will he play, what school is he coming from (big name, sec etc), is the general public aware of his name already, what round has he been projected to go and does he have an agent already?

Jags Fan Dan
11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
If he has an agent already, don't tell us your relative's name!

ivo610
11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Unless he is a star there is little to no market on equipment. There are thousands of no name players out there for sale for less than $300 that no one really cares to own.

Pick up a home n away set for him, yourself, and the rest of the immediate family. It's a cool situation to have, so chances are you will appreciate the equipment more than someone who doesn't know him.

Tyrcha
11-26-2013, 07:53 PM
If he plays for the Bears I'm interested in anything you may get.

perlman9
11-27-2013, 07:21 AM
There is a guy in ebay BigDawgPossessions who seems to have a lot of guys like that, Jake. If thinking about it, I would definitely see if he has friends that are willing to do the same. It may be a situation where you can start a little side business and have it grow as other players, guys he meets, can all benefit from. But my only advice is to be as thoughtful and upfront as possible with him so no one gets in a bind of thinking an item is worth more than it possibly is.

But I have seen businesses start from less and maybe he even has a friend or two already that are graduating this year that you could give a test run. Even if just a few college pieces.

Good luck, I think maybe you can fill a void in the market and rather have companies sign teams, maybe can work directly with players. I say maybe even start with consigning and see how it goes but with your knowledge and passion it may just work out! And if you are really lucky, he will land in Tampa and you won't have to sell anything. haha. Hope he knows a Sparty or two!

TwinLakesPark
11-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Jake - are you an Entourage fan? It sounds like you have an opportunity to be Drama's agent when he moved to LA. It may not be the most profitable opportunity, but it will allow you to sharpen your skills within the business and learn it from the inside-out, rather than outside-in. Then once Drama's brother (Vince) moves out to LA and likes what you are doing, he will ask for your help. Then Vince stars in Aquaman, and BAMM! Next thing you know, you and Ari are having lunch meetings together.

Money and profits seems to be one of the primary motivations in the Game Used marketplace, which tends to push people into committing questionable moral and ethical acts (not by any means implying these are your motivations - I understand your passion). What if you took a different approach? What if you tried to create a business model that enhanced the experience of the fan and better connected them with the players? Would other players be drawn to you if you helped create a better fan experience? You will be in a unique position, the drivers seat.

I am not sure how interested I would be in Ted Larsen jersey for $500, but if for $500 I got to go on the field during pregame warm ups and chat with Ted, then meet him in the tunnel after the game where he peeled off his jersey and signed it right there for me, and took some photos - I am all in for $500. That is an experience that I would probably post about on GUU over and over for years to come and a jersey that I would never sell.

It's not always about the money, but sometimes the money may just follow when you do the right thing. Best of luck and I am sure you will receive lots of support from the members here.

-Wes

Anabolicollege17
11-29-2013, 02:11 AM
Hey twin Im an Entourage fan and Dice Clay owns all. OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Eughhh Eughhh Eughhhhaa

LOLLLL

alexbartacustoms
11-29-2013, 05:29 PM
I think it's a great idea to sell used items for your family member.
There is obviously a demand for this type of memorabilia, and I'm surprised more players don't sell their own stuff on the side through family or a charity.

I disagree with the comment about there not being a market for lesser known players. You also have to remember, most NFL players have been stars in college and high school. That opens up their fan base even wider. There is always a market for every NFL player. It just might not be a high-priced market. Not everyone who collects game used items has thousands of dollars to spend on an item. For example, if someone were selling a certified pair of signed game used gloves for $25, I think someone out there would buy them. It might not bring in a huge amount of money, but as long as your relative is getting the gear for free, it's all profit.

The hardest part is figuring out the market value of the items you plan on selling. I'd advise you to price your items low, and build a fan base. If he plays well or starts for his team, raise your price. If his team makes the playoffs, Super Bowl or Pro Bowl, raise your prices accordingly for those items.

My kids and I have met some NFL players at charity events, and I've started collecting those players based solely on the fact that they were so nice to my kids. Since the cost is relatively low for most of these players, I can give the items to my kids, and they have a cool game-used reminder of an NFL player they have actually met in real life.

Good luck with your business. I'd also be interested in who your relative is. It's probably best to not revile his name or school, but I think you can get away with his position and maybe his conference...

Alex

gingi79
11-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Jake-

If the Dolphins sign him, I'm in for a gamer or helmet for sure!

marino13
11-30-2013, 12:04 PM
And if the Jets signed him .. I will take the complete set of gamer from his first game --- Jersey, pant, helmet, cleats and gloves. :D

jake33
11-30-2013, 06:23 PM
All is noted.

Will keep everyone posted at the 2015 draft. Just read today that if he came out for the 2014 draft, he would be a 5-7th rounder. However, he is returning for his senior year and will be available at the 2015 NFL draft.