PDA

View Full Version : Major Issue With Mears LOA

RMoody
11-24-2013, 02:50 PM
First off, I mean this respectfully and while you may not see this as a large issue, I own the item and therefore do.

I only recently stumbled into this going through items to sell, and clearly this damaged the authenticity of the item so badly, I don't feel comfortable selling these.

This gloves were examined 1/16/2008 by Andrew Gaquor and provided hologram number 309098, the LOO Final Grade was Authentic.

I did not submit them.

The letter and worksheet follow for specific information. No provenance was provided with the gloves. The comments explain that Tomlinson only wore this style glove once in 2007, but the Nike swoosh is no correctly aligned to photo match to this pair. It goes onto mention that "NFL Shop" does not sell this glove style to the public.

My concern is simple, admittedly not being able to photo match, no providence and the lack of public purchase of gloves remotely able to grade them authentic back to LT. Essentially this says nothing more than, LT wears this style glove and wore #21 so they must be his. I do realize the 21 wrote on the gloves is extremely similar to how LT did, and it may be common place for him to tag his gloves in this manner but I still have an issue with what's suggested and wrote.

http://i40.tinypic.com/16kxhqb.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/21n4gfb.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/9uvz1e.jpg

ivo610
11-24-2013, 02:59 PM
When you contacted Mears with your concerns what did they say?

Did you examine the loa when you purchased the item?

Dewey2007
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Isn't an LOO just that...a Letter of Opinion? In Mears opinion, based on their research, these gloves were authentic. I personally don't see what the major issue is.

RMoody
11-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Isn't an LOO just that...a Letter of Opinion? In Mears opinion, based on their research, these gloves were authentic. I personally don't see what the major issue is.

I will contact Mears about them Monday, I've owned them for years bought I think in a bulk auction.

You need to formulate an opinion on something concrete or atleast have examples or reasons behind your opinion, more so when your a professional and others count on your opinion.

I understand not photo matching exactly, I think we all have something known authentic that we can't pin point to one specific game.

The facts here are very simple.

LT wears this style glove - No photo of him wearing this exact glove the only year he could have.

LT wears #21 - these gloves say 21 on the inside.

Gloves are Player Issue - You can't personally go buy them new.

We have no providence attributing the gloves to LT.

As far as Im concerned this was a very popular style glove, more than likely each team has a #21. A blue and white color way might narrow that down but I still no logical way of attributing these specifically to LT. Facts are the facts, how do we separate these from Bob Sanders or Tiki Barber for example.

When you look at what they are factually, I find it hard to imagine a major authentication drawing a conclusion they must be LT's.