PDA

View Full Version : Jeter, Big Papi Steiner Letters without item for sale

joelsabi
11-23-2013, 03:19 AM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=111221083698&pt=US_Autographs&_osacat=0&hash=item19e54b0e32&_ssn=nymintsports&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=steiner+letter&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Is this agains eBay policy to sell COAs without the item?

Samples

joelsabi
11-23-2013, 03:27 AM
What seems more damaging is that 27 Jeter COAs have already been sold.
There are 20 more for sale.
Something to keep an eyes when buying Jeter and Ortiz items going forward.

dangerzone79
11-23-2013, 03:44 AM
This is absolutely ridiculous. How could Steiner let this happen? Unless they're fakes. Wow.

PAC
11-23-2013, 07:36 AM
They're not fakes, unfortunately.

Steiner just jumped to the top of the DO NOT BUY list.

MGHProductions
11-23-2013, 07:48 AM
The real problem is, some of the previously sold Jeter letters were for bats, jerseys and one was even for his fielding glove. Since there were no matching number holograms or anything like that, some fakes are certainly going to hit the market
Matt

KGoldin
11-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I have forwarded a link to this thread to the appropriate people at Steiner, and have given them my contact at EBAY security to get these items pulled, and to check to see what letters may have been stolen from their offices

emann
11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
I thought there was a post on here about the Ortiz Steiner LOAs a couple of years back (that's how long they have been up, unsure if it was the same seller) and this was addressed then (to both Steiner and eBay I believe, I know I've contacted eBay about them). I seem to recall those Ortiz letters as being more vague and saying something along the lines of "this game used item" and not referring to a specific item.

Obviously, if you're in the market for either player's items, make sure they also have the MLB holo on them and don't just go by the Steiner letter.

PAC
11-23-2013, 01:15 PM
I have forwarded a link to this thread to the appropriate people at Steiner, and have given them my contact at EBAY security to get these items pulled, and to check to see what letters may have been stolen from their offices

"stolen" lol

dangerzone79
11-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I sent a message to the seller on Ebay, here is my message followed by their response.

"Dear nymintsports,
Hi there. I know you're just trying to do business & make money, but as an avid collector this seems like a very irresponsible thing to do. This really damages the whole point of Steiner COA's as far as fans/collectors looking for these things as proof that the item they have is legit. With these people can just buy them & attach them to any old glove, sock, shoe whatever. Just my 2 cents, but I am speaking for the entire collecting community. Thank you."

And they responded with this.

"these letters are from my collection they will be bought by Tri-Star and used as cut signatures!!!! thanks for your concern!!!!
- nymintsports"

If they're on Ebay how the hell do they know who is gonna buy them & what they'll do with them?!?! Hahaha. Wow.

allstarsplus
11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Interesting response from the seller. Certainly a cut signature would make it very collectible but you also have to be concerned what other purpose these LOAs could be used for.

This part of my comment goes back to how Steiner would ever think of using non-numbered holograms as the issues from Steiner products floating around with generic holo's is still a big problem in the hobby.

Wrigley2010
11-23-2013, 03:59 PM
All the more reason for Steiner to get with the times and start serial numbering all their game used items as well as adding an online data base!!

joelsabi
11-23-2013, 09:01 PM
I found the thread that mentions selling LOA without item is against eBay rules.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=55007

Is the person selling them a GUU member?

There was a nice resolution in that thread where Mr. Joel Alpert bought all the COAs, the title description on the COAs were crossed out, and the autographs were cut and slabbed.

beachpetrol
11-24-2013, 12:00 PM
I found the thread that mentions selling LOA without item is against eBay rules.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=55007

Is the person selling them a GUU member?

There was a nice resolution in that thread where Mr. Joel Alpert bought all the COAs, the title description on the COAs were crossed out, and the autographs were cut and slabbed.

There was a link in that thread that is important regarding ebay rules and selling COAs:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/autographs.html

If you click on the COAs/LOAs link under the guidlines section on the ebay page, you'll see you cannot sell COAs as stand alone items.

marino13
11-26-2013, 12:23 PM
If it was a signature-cut type of sale, I don't see a problem with it.

But to some non-educated collectors - they just want a full page display of the letter ... Again, I don't see a problem with that.

But, if we have a well-document-educated collector, this is a scam waiting to happen ... And I don't have a problem with that either since I'm not going to touch it. :D

carbonrosa
11-26-2013, 09:51 PM
I've notice that alot of Steiner items on ebay have numbers on there stickers. Are these new or are these dealer only stickers or are they fake?
-Devin

cfern023
11-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Not going to lie, If I was a Yankee Collector and I could buy one of those COA's that says "Captain, NYY" I would in a heartbeat to cut and add to a 8x10. It just strikes me as cool....

But the fact that the whole COA is being sold is scary.

I have a question. If I go to a Steiner show and pay for an autograph, will the COA have the players signature like these do?

Steeleraddict
11-28-2013, 03:35 AM
Unfortunately whether Steiner is the victim or some how complicit, their reputation may take a hit. It will be interesting to see how they respond.
IMO they are going to have to have a STRONG response/action.
Their reputation is taking a hit and should go into damage control mode with a believable explanation on how these COA's got out there. Whether "stolen", rouge employee..all very difficult to believe but easy to just say without proof. A police report helps believability in a sense. But getting ahead of myself.
Im just one buyer but hesitant to buy with just a generic hologram. As usual the GU hobby takes a hit. It's difficult to remain in this hobby.
And please don't start with the "they're sold for the cut signature". The destroy the rest of the COA.
Ok...getting my bowl of popcorn and watching. And deleting my Steiner link for the time being.

bobsis24
11-28-2013, 07:55 PM
I have a question. If I go to a Steiner show and pay for an autograph, will the COA have the players signature like these do?

I've notice that alot of Steiner items on ebay have numbers on there stickers. Are these new or are these dealer only stickers or are they fake?
-Devin

My experience with Steiner and Yankee game-used items is that they distinguish between items they obtain through the Yankees-Steiner partnership, and items they obtain directly from one of their exclusive players (e.g. Jeter and Mariano).

The partnership items have a numbered "game used" hologram attached, & come with a letter that has the matching-numbered hologram on it. This seems like a pretty good system, although I wish they also had an online database where you could verify the items.

The direct player game-used items come with the e.g. Jeter- or Rivera-signed letter. If they also come with a plastic CoA, there is usually no hologram at all on the item. If there is a hologram on the item, it's not a numbered one. So there's no way to tie a specific game-used item to a specific letter or plastic CoA. I've asked, but never received a satisfactory, or even a direct, answer as to why. I don't doubt the authenticity since it comes from them, but I don't find it very reassuring for resale.

Bob

Hoosier39
11-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Someone on net54 was trying to sell the Jeter letters earlier today. People got on him about it and he decided to delete the thread.

Steeleraddict
11-29-2013, 10:25 PM
And what did Steiner do when they noticed the COA "tied" to a specific item came up missing? Just reissue another COA? Show any concern for the public by notifying them? or if they were never tied to an item, were they just printed, signed and dispensed?
Do they just get jetter to sign a stack of COA's not tied to specific items?
Lottsa questions that 54 is asking.

marino13
11-30-2013, 11:55 AM
(I posted similar thread back in September... and some has some legit answer)

1. The item sold and the LOA/COA cant be located at that time.

2. The LOA/COA was found at a later date and the seller decides to sell them for the purpose of cut-signature. And the one I posted was about a bat - which is a whole lot significant than "socks, cleats and so forth".

Personally, I don't think it is that simple to obtain the hologram for the secondary purpose. And the excuse of the hologram "fell off the bat" is very unlikely!

Furthermore, for you to have a "matching item" to the COA and then somehow getting another hologram to attach to the item --- just for the purpose of selling - you might as well buy the one without tampering for much less!

But like I said, to each his own. If I was into cut-signature, I would buy them for that and be happy with!

beachpetrol
12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Why are these still for sale? Didnt the seller say that Tri-Star was going to buy them? Has anyone reported these items to Ebay? The more people that report these to Ebay, the more likely they will take them off. There is a "Report Item" link on each of the auctions.

dangerzone79
12-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I reported them the moment I was made aware of them. Same day I got the response about them selling them all.