PDA

View Full Version : Livan Hernandez - Nationals 1st Game Baseball Question

cliffjmp33
11-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I know the rules is to contact the seller ahead of time, but I wanted to verify this with others.

There is a Livan Hernandez game used signed and attributed baseball to the Nationals first game as an organization. It is from April 4th, 2005. The game was in Philadelphia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331070994469?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The reason I bring it up is that the ball has the Nationals logo on it. I wanted to verify with others, but I believed balls with the Nats logos were only used at home? If someone can verify this, I'll be glad to contact the seller and forward my concern. Or, if I am wrong (which very much could be), I'll add it to another piece of education on the board!

Thanks.

allstarsplus
11-21-2013, 09:28 PM
You are correct but on Opening Day on April 14 2005 the Nats used the Opening Day baseball as did the Phillies on April 4 2005. The Nats used the 2005 inaugural ball the rest of the season for every game to the best of my knowledge.

I believe I purchased every available baseball from the Phillies of the April 4 Opening Day and I did the same with the Nats on April 14. I retained a few balls and have the holos.

Enyouartist
11-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Hmmmm.....Another questionable celebzdirect item. I'm beginning to see a pattern!

allstarsplus
11-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Hmmmm.....Another questionable celebzdirect item. I'm beginning to see a pattern!

They have plenty of good items too. I bought every Nats item Livan had except that ball and a BP jersey. Some stuff I had to classify differently based on my research so yes, you have to do your homework.

I'm sure they only went with what they were told. Maybe Livan insisted he wanted to throw a Nats ball. I know the story went something like the 1st pitch in Nats history would go to the HOF but Livan kept the ball!

Phil316
11-21-2013, 09:45 PM
The problem is they do not do the home work on items they are selling. They assume everything is game used.

allstarsplus
11-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Here's some of my baseballs from the Opening Days in Philly and Washington from 2005. I have game used bases, homeplate, and pitching rubber as well as jerseys and gear and 1 of the balls George Bush threw to Brian Schneider and I have Brian Schneiders full gear and uni.

allstarsplus
11-21-2013, 10:10 PM
You will notice in the ball holograming that the 1st pitch was never holo'd and the other historic balls were. This is the 1st item from the 1st Opening Day in Nats history that was hologram'd

Hologram number MR495775 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED OPENING DAY 2005 LOGO BASEBALL - 4/4/2005
Game: WASHINGTON NATIONALS AT PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Session Name: WASHINGTON NATIONALS @ PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Session Date: April 04, 2005
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: FIRST NATIONALS HIT - BRAD WILKERSON SINGLE TO RIGHT FIELD (1ST INNING)
--------------------------------------------------
Hologram number MR495784 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED OPENING DAY 2005 LOGO BASEBALL - 4/4/2005
Game: WASHINGTON NATIONALS AT PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Session Name: WASHINGTON NATIONALS @ PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Session Date: April 04, 2005
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: FIRST NATIONALS HR - TERRMEL SLEDGE TWO RUN HOMER TO RIGHT (6TH INNING)

cliffjmp33
11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the information and photos. I responded to The seller with the concern.

allstarsplus
11-21-2013, 10:40 PM
I know the story went something like the 1st pitch in Nats history would go to the HOF but Livan kept the ball!

I just got a call from a friend who saw this post and said he in fact was the one who got the ball directly from Livan and he's consigned it to Lelands and it will be in their next auction.

The ball has the Opening Day logo and matches the story I said that Livan kept the ball and it was never hologram'd.

How do you like that! He has also sent a message to the CelebzDirect.

WOW! :eek:

cliffjmp33
11-22-2013, 10:25 AM
That is pretty amazing story about Livan holding the ball and your friend so quick to respond to both you and Celebz Direct.

As a follow up, I got a response via eBay from them noting the issue and have since pulled the auction. A credit to them for doing so.

allstarsplus
11-22-2013, 11:00 AM
That is pretty amazing story about Livan holding the ball and your friend so quick to respond to both you and Celebz Direct.

As a follow up, I got a response via eBay from them noting the issue and have since pulled the auction. A credit to them for doing so.

Scot at CelebsDirect called me this morning and said that ball on eBay was supposed to be part of inscription balls they were doing on random game used balls from 2005. He said his employee who handles the auctions made an honest mistake. What's scary is that it shows how easily someone could buy one and try to pass it off as "the ball".

The nice thing as I told my friend who is the consignor of the real ball going to Lelands is I just helped him with his research that there was never a 1st pitch ball hologram'd, just 1st hit and 1st HR. His ball will help set the value for my balls as they are all historic.

carbonrosa
11-22-2013, 12:27 PM
What bothers me about this is why he would even agree to sign that ball with that inscription knowing anyone could easily pass it off as the one. I know it's big business for ball players to sign what the fans pay for but knowing it's not that first pitch ball he should have the common sence to say "I know this is not the first pitch ball so I can not justify writing that inscription"

allstarsplus
11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
What's scary is that it shows how easily someone could buy one and try to pass it off as "the ball".

Carbonrosa, I agree which is why I made that statement above. Players are kind enough to inscribe items and then BAM it shows up on eBay with an incorrect description but what do you do when you have an inscription that implies to a normal person that its the ball . The ball is inscribed "1st pitch Washington Nationals 4/4/05 vs Phils". Is the onus on the athlete or the person asking for the inscription?

The only reason I even saw this thread was that someone emailed me to ask my opinion. I'm glad I helped.

allstarsplus
11-22-2013, 07:17 PM
I know the rules is to contact the seller ahead of time, but I wanted to verify this with others.

There is a Livan Hernandez game used signed and attributed baseball to the Nationals first game as an organization. It is from April 4th, 2005. The game was in Philadelphia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331070994469?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The reason I bring it up is that the ball has the Nationals logo on it. I wanted to verify with others, but I believed balls with the Nats logos were only used at home? If someone can verify this, I'll be glad to contact the seller and forward my concern. Or, if I am wrong (which very much could be), I'll add it to another piece of education on the board!

Thanks.

I see they stopped the auction.