PDA

View Full Version : Nelson M159 Bat

The Lumber Company
12-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Gentlemen,
I have a bat that I need a little help identifying but let me start this conversation by noting that my intent on purchasing this bat was to add a 1960 WS ERA Rocky Nelson bat to my 1960 Pirates collection.
It was sold to me merely on the pre-tense that it was a Rocky Nelson Game Used bat from the 1950-60 marking period. The bat was purchased without actually having a chance to research the validity of this being a Rocky Nelson bat. The bat is pictured below. It is a LVS model M159 (stamped on the knob) with a #14 added in marker as well.

I feel that for a number of reasons it is a not a Rocky Nelson bat. I feel that it is more like a 1965-58 era bat from Dave, Roger, Mel (or Willie maybe) Nelson.

The sellor (who is a great guy) said to inquire and see if there was a transition period where this bat could have possibly been used by Rocky??

I would LIKE for this to be a Rocky Nelson bat but my gut feeling is that it is not. Rocky only played maybe into 1961 I think. I also think that I recall seeing signature models or Rocky?

Any thoughts.
Regards and Happy Holidays.
Marty Wallach
www.thelumbercompany.com (http://www.thelumbercompany.com)

Yankwood
12-02-2006, 05:19 AM
I think it might be the bat Ozzie Nelson used to keep Harriet in her place.

JimCaravello
12-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Hi Marty - unfortunately we do not have records for the Nelson players mentioned ( and no records for Ozzie Nelson..... ). The labeling of the bat is from the 1965 - 1968 labeling period. Dave Nelson wore #14 with Cleveland Indians in 1968. None of the other players wore #14. The bat could also be a bat that was ordered by a player who never made it into the bigs - but only played in the minor league system.

Dave Nelson is still alive. As crazy as this sounds, write him a letter and see if he remembers model numbers and if he had block letter model bats with Louisville. You'd be surprised how often some of these lesser known players will reply to letters. I have had great success with autographs over the years through the mail to lesser known players.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further. Jim

BoneRubbedBat
12-02-2006, 09:36 AM
There were approximately 12 Nelsons in professional baseball during the 1965-68 era, with most being minor leaguers. There was Brian, Carl, Dave, Floyd, Fred, Harold, Jim, Jim L., Lou, Mel, Roger E., and Roger A.

MSpecht
12-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi Marty --

As Jim said, we do not have Rocky Nelson's H & B records, and don't know specifically when he signed a contract with H & B, but it is clear that by 1960 he had a contract as his name appears in script as Glenn Nelson on the Pirates 1960 World Series Champions Black Bat. A check of the Brooklyn Dodgers 1952 and/or 1956 NL Champions H & B Commemorative Black Bats would likely narrow the date of Nelson's H & B contract down a little more.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

MSpecht
12-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi Marty

I just received confirmation from Zane Burns that Rocky Nelson's name, as Glenn Nelson, also appears in script on the Dodgers 1952 black bat, so clearly his contract with H & B was already in place.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

The Lumber Company
12-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Mike,
Thanks for all of the work. I only collect one team and a few years and it is tough...I don't know how you keep up with all the teams...UGHHHH
Thanks and happy holidays.
Marty
Do you have any Pirates bats for sale?